How do street cars switch tracks?

Posts that don't fit in the other train categories. Off Subject Chit Chat I tell you. :)
James Sofonia
Grand Traverse Dinner Train 1996

How do street cars switch tracks?

Unread post by James Sofonia »

I've seen street cars switch tracks and go around a corner but didn't notice how this is done. You don't see any switch stands like the big railroads use, and if there is some trick to this why don't the big boys use it too? I checked a few web sites but found no answer.

railohio
Photographer of Wires in America by Rail of Ohio & Wisconsin

Re: How do street cars switch tracks?

Unread post by railohio »

With switches, as pictured. Likely spring switches if there is no mechanism visible, or manual control under a removable hatch.
"I shot the freight train / But I did not shoot the fantrip"

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

Some Electric railroads had switches connected to a circuit in the overhead wires. Motorman could reverse the polarity in this section, and the switch would throw. Photos of such a thing in Street Railroads of Indianapolis by Marlette.

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hoborich »

When I, ahem....rode the streetcars, the motorman would stop the car at an intersection or corner. He would get off with a steel stick of some sort, similar to a cane, and manually move the points over to the route he wanted to go. At least that's how they did it in Detroit.
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

There were/are several methods, some of which were previously mentioned:

-Manual switch point movement with a switch stick.
-Submerged switch control boxes were installed in many locations with the top level with the pavement. A metal stick would be used to interlock with the mechanism to move the points
-Through a special circuit before a switch, a motorman could either apply power or coast which would interlock with a switch mechanism throwing the points one way or another.

We have examples of the first two at the museum I work at, plucked from street railway operations of yore. We also have "railroad" switches with regular switch stands. I'll try to find some photos.

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

Last year the Shore Line Trolley Museum removed a street railway switch of one of the types I mentioned:
-Submerged switch control boxes were installed in many locations with the top level with the pavement. A metal stick would be used to interlock with the mechanism to move the points
The switch was installed ca. 1960 at the museum (it had been previously enjoyed elsewhere) and it was removed as part of a larger track project, which disconnected the diverging track and installed a new diamond on another tangent. The movable point portion of the switch was saved for possible future reuse on the property, and I was able to capture these photos:
Full switch point looking toward where the rails come together.
Full switch point looking toward where the rails come together.
In the background, toward the end of the switch point, you can see the submerged control box, which would have been level with the pavement. A switch stick on a chain is attached, which required the streetcar operator to step off the car to realign the switch to another route if needed.
Switch switch detail
Switch switch detail
Here's a closeup of the switch stick beside the switch control box. The bottom of this custom fabricated switch stick has a slot much like a flat head screwdriver, which would be inserted into the rotating head on the control box to move the point.
Switch stick in action
Switch stick in action
Here the stick is inserted into the rotating mechanism. A simple turn counterclockwise would set the point to "diverging."

James Sofonia
Grand Traverse Dinner Train 1996

Unread post by James Sofonia »

Thanks for the pictures GP.