B.B. King, Blues Legend, Dies at 89

Posts that don't fit in the other train categories. Off Subject Chit Chat I tell you. :)
Trainman2223
Railroadfan...fan

B.B. King, Blues Legend, Dies at 89

Unread post by Trainman2223 »

Riley B. King—better known as B.B.—was the world’s most famous blues musician. If his celebrity rose from his tireless ambassadorship for the art form, it was built on his refined skill as a fiery performer and a stinging, supremely tasteful electric guitarist. Mr. King died peacefully in his sleep at 9:40 p.m. Thursday in Las Vegas, his attorney, Brent Bryson, told the Associated Press. He was 89.

Most fans of popular music have known B.B. King their entire lives, and to a degree that familiarity distorts his reputation. When Mr. King recorded his first hit singles in the early 1950s, he wasn’t yet the stately icon in a tuxedo who traveled to world capitals and the White House to promote a form of American music that grew from the Mississippi Delta where he was raised. Six decades ago, Mr. King was a determined, hard-touring musician who funded his own revue to play the blues, R&B and swing. With a supple wall of horns and a sparkling rhythm section behind him, Mr. King provided a formidable focal point: his Gibson guitar—which he dubbed Lucille—on his hip, his voice shifting effortlessly between butter-smooth crooning and a grief-stricken growl.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/b-b-king-bl ... orsPicks_1
Semper Fi

“I bought a perfect second car... a tow truck.”
Rodney Dangerfield

GTWFRED
Railroadfan...fan

Re: B.B. King, Blues Legend, Dies at 89

Unread post by GTWFRED »

The blues lost a legend...RIP BB!

StrayWolf716
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by StrayWolf716 »

Truly a gentleman and very generous man. Had several opportunities to personally meet him while I was working as a maintenance guy at a hotel where he stayed, and we unloaded the luggage from his tour buses. Afterwards, he quietly invited us to his suite, thanked us for our work, and slipped us each $200 cash. He'll be missed.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

StrayWolf716 wrote:Truly a gentleman and very generous man.
By his own account BB King fathered 15 kids with 15 different woman. I'd say he was very generous :lol:
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

AARR wrote:
By his own account BB King fathered 15 kids with 15 different woman. I'd say he was very generous :lol:
Wouldn't you if women were throwing themselves at you all your life? :lol: :wink:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Women have been throwing things at me...oh...you said throwing themselves...nvm :lol:
J T wrote:
AARR wrote:
Wouldn't you if women were throwing themselves at you all your life? :lol: :wink:
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

:lol: :D
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.