Trucking business is delivering chilling news about the econ

Posts that don't fit in the other train categories. Off Subject Chit Chat I tell you. :)
AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Trucking business is delivering chilling news about the econ

Unread post by AARR »

There are railroad references in this article.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets/ ... cid=HPCDHP
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Trucking business is delivering chilling news about the

Unread post by hoborich »

Yeah. Retail sales are down too. Supposedly, people are saving the money they save on lower gas prices, rather than spending it. In any case, the economy is not nearly as good as we are told. The Dow was up 191 today, allegedly on a weaker dollar. Unemployment is only lower, because fewer people are looking for work. Many have given up.
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

hoborich wrote:Yeah. Retail sales are down too. Supposedly, people are saving the money they save on lower gas prices, rather than spending it.
Flawed theory.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Every program has it's winners and losers. Under President Obama's policies the wealthy have gotten richer, the poor have made small improvements but the middle class have lost a little ground.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Yeah. Retail sales are down too. Supposedly, people are saving the money they save on lower gas prices, rather than spending it.
Flawed theory.
Well, they said it again tonight on the Nightly Business Report. People are saving the money saved on gas, and paying down debt, rather than spending it.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

hoborich wrote:
Yeah. Retail sales are down too. Supposedly, people are saving the money they save on lower gas prices, rather than spending it.
Flawed theory.
Well, they said it again tonight on the Nightly Business Report. People are saving the money saved on gas, and paying down debt, rather than spending it.
Right, because people were dumping more money into retail purchases when they had less money in their pockets.

It's just a feel good theory. Maybe people are just spending less because...they are spending less for other reasons (you know, more people jobless and stuff). Or maybe people are saving more because they have more in their pockets. That doesn't automatically equate to spending less disposable income.
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

J T wrote: It's just a feel good theory. Maybe people are just spending less because...they are spending less for other reasons (you know, more people jobless and stuff). Or maybe people are saving more because they have more in their pockets. That doesn't automatically equate to spending less disposable income.
Maybe you're right. But retail sales figures are down though, so for whatever reason people are spending less. I'm more apt to believe more people are jobless and that is why there is less money being spent. I don't for a minute buy the jobless rate in this country. Too much of a 'feel good' statistic for each political party to use to back their thinking.
Last edited by CSX_CO on Tue May 19, 2015 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

CSX_CO wrote:Maybe you're right. But retail sales figures are down though, so for whatever reason people are spending less. I'm more apt to believe more people are jobless and that is why there is less money being spent. I don't for a minute buy the jobless rate in this country. Too much of a 'feel good' statistic for each political party to use to back their thinking.
For whatever the reason the number of people looking for jobs was cut by around 9 million shortly after President Obama took office. If the same data was used for him as President Bush the unemployment rate would be a tick over 10%.

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

People who have exhausted their unemployment benefits and are no longer registered at the employment office are not counted in the unemployment figures. So yeah, the real unemployment numbers are almost certainly much higher than we are told. Not only do the politicians lie to our faces, but months later when no one notices, the figures are "revised" downward month after month.
I'm always amused by those who cling to the old "buy American" theory. Like we actually make much anymore.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

hoborich wrote:I'm always amused by those who cling to the old "buy American" theory. Like we actually make much anymore.
I don't have the numbers in front of me but the US's manufacturing capabilities are still rather robust although not nearly what it used to be.

However, very recently China's Gross Domestic Product surpassed the US's. America is now #2. And a little more concerning is nearly 50% of America's economic activity in 2014 was due to people having the health insurance cancelled (due to not meeting the standards under Obamacare) and renewing it with other policies. Many families, including me, lost insurance they liked and doctors we were happy with and what we now have is more expensive with higher deductibles.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

China SHOULD pass us. They have over FOUR TIMES the population. They're only a little ahead of us, but if they had the same GDP per capita, they'd have a GDP around $64 TRILLION to our $16.

Same goes with India...3 times the pop there, still around a quarter as much GDP per capita.

----

Edit to add:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_co ... per_capita

Here is a good list. Using the CIA Factbook list, we're 19th in GDP (PPP) at $54,800. China is way down at 113th, at $12,900.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Agreed, but the US economy is not growing like it should. Take out the health insurance activity of 2014 and the US GDP grew by roughly 2.5%. 4% is considered the minimum for robust economy. So if America was growing like it should China's would not have overtaken it this soon. Anyone disagree?

Maybe if capitalize some words then it will make a more forceful impression like Mr. MQT's :)
MQT3001 wrote:China SHOULD pass us. They have over FOUR TIMES the population. They're only a little ahead of us, but if they had the same GDP per capita, they'd have a GDP around $64 TRILLION to our $16.

Same goes with India...3 times the pop there, still around a quarter as much GDP per capita.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

AARR wrote:Agreed, but the US economy is not growing like it should. Take out the health insurance activity of 2014 and the US GDP grew by roughly 2.5%. 4% is considered the minimum for robust economy. So if America was growing like it should China's would not have overtaken it this soon. Anyone disagree?
Oh I certainly agree. The current political environment and the "I have a pen" mentality is really hurting us. The authoritative whims of this President are undermining the rule of law. He has shoved back deadlines he doesn't like, created new barricades with deadlines, and has allowed millions to stay and work who shouldn't.

The biggest barricade to higher wages is the expansion of the glut of unskilled labor, which represents the vast majority of illegal immigrants.

TC Man
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TC Man »

I actually thought this was going to b ean article about the refrigerated foods trucking/rail business. That's chilling too, ya know!
CEO of the Waving Institute- teaching great wave forms.

Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Standard Railfan »

TC Man wrote:I actually thought this was going to b ean article about the refrigerated foods trucking/rail business. That's chilling too, ya know!
:lol:

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Many families, including me, lost insurance they liked and doctors we were happy with and what we now have is more expensive with higher deductibles.
But...but...if you like your doctor and your current plan, you can keep it. :? Am I the only one tired of being lied to? Oh wait. Politicians don't lie. They "mispoke". :twisted:

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

hoborich wrote: But...but...if you like your doctor and your current plan, you can keep it. :? Am I the only one tired of being lied to? Oh wait. Politicians don't lie. They "mispoke". :twisted:
The truth or lies...what difference does it make?! :lol:

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

J T wrote:
hoborich wrote: But...but...if you like your doctor and your current plan, you can keep it. :? Am I the only one tired of being lied to? Oh wait. Politicians don't lie. They "mispoke". :twisted:
The truth or lies...what difference does it make?! :lol:
image.jpg

Michael
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Michael »

MagnumForce
Angry Man

Unread post by MagnumForce »

Not sure how badly things suck in Michigan...I know they normally do. But employers here in Northwest Ohio cannot get enough people to fill all the open positions around here.

The sales at my plant are through the roof, automotive is moving at a rate I haven't seen since I started working there in 2000.

Sauders is going insane as well, you need a job? They will hire quite literally anyone right now.