Trucking business is delivering chilling news about the econ

Posts that don't fit in the other train categories. Off Subject Chit Chat I tell you. :)
Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Re: Trucking business is delivering chilling news about the

Unread post by Saturnalia »

I've heard several people talking about hiring people. Basically, I've been hearing that you can't find anyone to do skilled labor. Construction, Welding, etc. Seems like people are staying out of those jobs and trying to find out how to use their liberal arts degrees. Of course, there seems to be no shortage of Unskilled labor, but it seems nobody wants to go out an learn a trade. Millionaire or bust, so it seems.

So is what I have been hearing. Obviously I have no firsthand experiance.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

Jetlink
Not a Railfan

Unread post by Jetlink »

Some of you should think about learning how to fly airplanes. We can't recruit enough qualified pilots. Many airlines have been parking airplanes because they have no one to fly them.
interested in trains

Patiently waiting for LansingRailfan to antagonize me in his tagline

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Jetlink wrote:Some of you should think about learning how to fly airplanes. We can't recruit enough qualified pilots. Many airlines have been parking airplanes because they have no one to fly them.
I keep hearing about "airlines are reducing flights this year" and I think of how that sounds shrewd, to reduce the supply in high demand, then I think of this issue...and I'm guessing that is pretty much the whole reason.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

Jetlink
Not a Railfan

Unread post by Jetlink »

MQT3001 wrote:
Jetlink wrote:Some of you should think about learning how to fly airplanes. We can't recruit enough qualified pilots. Many airlines have been parking airplanes because they have no one to fly them.
I keep hearing about "airlines are reducing flights this year" and I think of how that sounds shrewd, to reduce the supply in high demand, then I think of this issue...and I'm guessing that is pretty much the whole reason.
Bingo.

Of course there is more to the story, like how it just got a lot harder to get certified. About how entry level jobs don't pay enough to justify the cost of training now that the certification requirements increased. About how a group of people formed a powerful lobby to push for these changes after a crash a few years ago. But that is a big part of it. Eventually it'll catch up to them. Then there will be a big push for only one pilot in the cockpit with the backup being a drone operator who can take over the plane from a control center. Not sure if the public will buy it but that's where it's headed.

Either way for those of us in the game with certification and experience things look great. For now.
interested in trains

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

Jetlink wrote: Of course there is more to the story, like how it just got a lot harder to get certified. About how entry level jobs don't pay enough to justify the cost of training now that the certification requirements increased. About how a group of people formed a powerful lobby to push for these changes after a crash a few years ago. But that is a big part of it. Eventually it'll catch up to them. Then there will be a big push for only one pilot in the cockpit with the backup being a drone operator who can take over the plane from a control center. Not sure if the public will buy it but that's where it's headed.

Either way for those of us in the game with certification and experience things look great. For now.
Didn't a lot of those jobs were get filled by the guys coming out of the military with flight experience? Is it a case of too many jobs for the former military guys to fill, or military pilots just not continuing in the 'craft'?

Jetlink
Not a Railfan

Unread post by Jetlink »

CSX_CO wrote:
Jetlink wrote: Of course there is more to the story, like how it just got a lot harder to get certified. About how entry level jobs don't pay enough to justify the cost of training now that the certification requirements increased. About how a group of people formed a powerful lobby to push for these changes after a crash a few years ago. But that is a big part of it. Eventually it'll catch up to them. Then there will be a big push for only one pilot in the cockpit with the backup being a drone operator who can take over the plane from a control center. Not sure if the public will buy it but that's where it's headed.

Didn't a lot of those jobs were get filled by the guys coming out of the military with flight experience? Is it a case of too many jobs for the former military guys to fill, or military pilots just not continuing in the 'craft'?
Military doesn't train nearly as many pilots as they did 20 years ago. The ones that they do train are expected to serve 12 years after 2.5 years of qualifcation. The military may have supplied about 50% of the pilots to the airlines in the hay days of the armed services. Now there might be 1 or 2 military guys in a new hire class. In July of 2000 my new hire class of 54 pilots had 3 ex militay pilots in it for an example.
interested in trains

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

Jetlink wrote: Military doesn't train nearly as many pilots as they did 20 years ago. The ones that they do train are expected to serve 12 years after 2.5 years of qualifcation. The military may have supplied about 50% of the pilots to the airlines in the hay days of the armed services. Now there might be 1 or 2 military guys in a new hire class. In July of 2000 my new hire class of 54 pilots had 3 ex militay pilots in it for an example.
Ah...that definitely isn't helping the shortage then either.