Owosso-Ionia Bike Trail Railfanning Ride

Posts that don't fit in the other train categories. Off Subject Chit Chat I tell you. :)
AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Owosso-Ionia Bike Trail Railfanning Ride

Unread post by AARR »

I hear the bike trail is paved from Owosso to Ionia. Can someone confirm?

Also, anyone want to get a group going? I think it's around 45ish miles one way so we can stage vehicles at both ends and go one way or do the 90-100 mile round trip. I figure with railfanning and food stops it could be 6ish hours one way or 10ish hour day round trip. Let me know if you're interested and we can schedule a day.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Re: Owosso-Ionia Bike Trail Railfanning Ride

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

It is only paved in the cities / villages. The remainder is surfaced with crushed limestone. 2/3rd of the material is smaller than 1/8th inch. Similar to stone dust on a ball diamond.

http://www.cistrail.org/maps.html

Jetlink
Not a Railfan

Unread post by Jetlink »

I would be very interested.

I've ridden Saranac-Ionia and Ionia-St.Johns.

Ionia-Saranc is in great shape, well packed and frequently used.

I rode a few weeks ago east of Ionia and the trail was very ride-able but not packed as firm. I've heard that they are having troubles with dirt bikes and ATV's tearing up the surface.

I'll confirm what RDD reports. Very similar to the surface on the Kal-haven trail and the Pere Marquette trail west of Reed City.
interested in trains

Patiently waiting for LansingRailfan to antagonize me in his tagline

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hoborich »

I've ridden the Pere Marquette trail from Clare to Midland. Nice ride. Little diner in Coleman for lunch.
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Is the limestone surfaces packed down or loose? Can I ride it with skinny road tires or would I need fat/stud tires?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

I'd be interested, although I don't have a road bike.
~ Charles W.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

GreatLakesRailfan wrote:I'd be interested, although I don't have a road bike.
If you feel your bike can manage part or all of the trip you should come with me. It'll be like a road rally on bikes :)

Michael
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Michael »

If you have one of those tandem bike I'd be interested :D

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

AARR wrote:
GreatLakesRailfan wrote:I'd be interested, although I don't have a road bike.
If you feel your bike can manage part or all of the trip you should come with me. It'll be like a road rally on bikes :)
Sounds good to me.

I'm not worried so much about the bike making it that far as the rider. :oops:
~ Charles W.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

~Z~ and me are considering mid to late June. Stay tuned...

Jetlink
Not a Railfan

Unread post by Jetlink »

Do able with a road bike but difficult. Wider tires would be better. Studded tires not needed.

As loose as the area just east of Ionia was last week I personally wouldn't want a road bike. The surface will become packed harder as time goes on based on my experiences with similar trails .
Last edited by Jetlink on Tue May 12, 2015 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
interested in trains

Patiently waiting for LansingRailfan to antagonize me in his tagline

BerkshireKid
sofa king we todd

Unread post by BerkshireKid »

Im off and can be there the last weekend of June thru the 4th of July weekend.
Rule #1: BerkshireKid is God. Rule #2: God is always right. Rule #3: If you think you may actually be right refer to Rules #1 & #2.

pbmaxno15
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by pbmaxno15 »

Sounds like fun to me. I will have to polish up the old Cannodale!

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

AARR wrote:~Z~ and me are considering mid to late June. Stay tuned...
We should really start planning something. I've been thinking about this a bit lately and with a decent sized group we could have a lot of fun.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

J T wrote:
AARR wrote:~Z~ and me are considering mid to late June. Stay tuned...
We should really start planning something. I've been thinking about this a bit lately and with a decent sized group we could have a lot of fun.
BerkshireKid wrote:Im off and can be there the last weekend of June thru the 4th of July weekend.
Looks like we have a timeframe. Weekend? Weekday? I'll have to request time off if we do it during the week, but there may be less traffic if we don't do it on the weekend.
~ Charles W.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

I am definitely biking this trail! It'd be more educational and fun to go with you guys. If we can reach a consensus on a date I'll join you. Late June works for me. Weekday or weekend is fine.

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

20th/21st or 27/28 of June would be best for me, not a weekday please. Would it be better to travel eastbound from Ionia towards owosso so the wind will be less likely to impact us?

I'd say let AARR pick the date since he came up with the idea...
A thought : start in Fowler. Bike west to ionia, food somewhere, come back east. If some are tired, be done at Fowler. Others can continue east as far as comfortable, turn around when tired and go back to Fowler... that way we don't have to take the extra couple hours to stage cars at start and end points.
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

IIRC more people were available the end of June so how's 27th/28th? I'm pretty flexible AFAIK.
~Z~ wrote:20th/21st or 27/28 of June would be best for me, not a weekday please. Would it be better to travel eastbound from Ionia towards owosso so the wind will be less likely to impact us?

I'd say let AARR pick the date since he came up with the idea...
A thought : start in Fowler. Bike west to ionia, food somewhere, come back east. If some are tired, be done at Fowler. Others can continue east as far as comfortable, turn around when tired and go back to Fowler... that way we don't have to take the extra couple hours to stage cars at start and end points.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

FYI
Posted by Joe on 5/25/2015, 12:57 am, in reply to "Bike the Owosso-Ionia Trail"
Its not exactly "packed" limestone. I have gone from St Johns to Pewamo and back. I don't believe the trail is really complete all the way to ionia however, it seems to be a 2 track and larger stones towards Ionia. Better check it by car first. the gravel portion can slow one down a bit as it is softer than you might be used to, so like you mentioned, fatter tires will be preferred.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

Last weekend in June works for me as well. No weekdays.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.