Best Sounding Train Horns

Posts that don't fit in the other train categories. Off Subject Chit Chat I tell you. :)
cfriedri
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Best Sounding Train Horns

Unread post by cfriedri »

MQT3001 wrote:
redside20 wrote:Worst airhorns...the ones that Burlington Northern used..that I believe were a leslie variant of some kind...
RS3K probably?
The Leslie RS3K isn't absolutely horrible but I can tell you it sounds awful when fouled. Was out and about in Fort Collins, CO a while back when a NB empty coal train came through town on Mason Street with a pair of executive SD70MACs on the point. One of the bells on the RS3K was fouled and the sound resulted in the worst horn, hands down, that I have ever heard.
SD80MAC wrote:That's a new Nathan K5LLA or K5LLM.
I'll be one to second that. I have never seen an SD70ACe with anything other than a Nathan K5LLA or similar variant.
Connor

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

cfriedri wrote:
MQT3001 wrote:
redside20 wrote:Worst airhorns...the ones that Burlington Northern used..that I believe were a leslie variant of some kind...
RS3K probably?
The Leslie RS3K isn't absolutely horrible but I can tell you it sounds awful when fouled. Was out and about in Fort Collins, CO a while back when a NB empty coal train came through town on Mason Street with a pair of executive SD70MACs on the point. One of the bells on the RS3K was fouled and the sound resulted in the worst horn, hands down, that I have ever heard.
SD80MAC wrote:That's a new Nathan K5LLA or K5LLM.
I'll be one to second that. I have never seen an SD70ACe with anything other than a Nathan K5LLA or similar variant.
The ACe leading the coal empty I photographed yesterday had one of the most foul sounding horns on it ever. When I first heard it off in the distance, I got a little pissed because I thought it was going to be an old beat up 70MAC.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

Schteinkuh
Railcam Terrorizer

Unread post by Schteinkuh »

cfriedri wrote:
MQT3001 wrote:
RS3K probably?
When you take care of them they sound nice. I love the sound of my RS3K.
According to all known laws of aviation, there is no way a bee should be able to fly. Its wings are too small to get its fat little body off the ground. The bee, of course, flies anyway because bees don't care what humans think is impossible.

GP9R
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GP9R »

M3s, M3Hs, Canadian Tuned K3s, and S5T/RS5Ts are my favorites. For a very short time the GTW Caboose in Kalamazoo had an old GTW M3 on it for the crew to use when they where doing long shoves.

I'm also gonna leave this right here

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Unread post by Ypsi »

Is that a split mounted K5LA like off of the rebuilt Via F40PH's? the two pieces with the snow cones on them.
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

GP9R wrote:M3s, M3Hs, Canadian Tuned K3s, and S5T/RS5Ts are my favorites. For a very short time the GTW Caboose in Kalamazoo had an old GTW M3 on it for the crew to use when they where doing long shoves.

What's the horn in the middle with only two chimes? Looks to be in Erie-Lackawanna Colors.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

cfriedri
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by cfriedri »

Holy... how many M3/M3Hs you got in there? :lol:
Connor

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

MQT1223 wrote:
GP9R wrote:M3s, M3Hs, Canadian Tuned K3s, and S5T/RS5Ts are my favorites. For a very short time the GTW Caboose in Kalamazoo had an old GTW M3 on it for the crew to use when they where doing long shoves.

What's the horn in the middle with only two chimes? Looks to be in Erie-Lackawanna Colors.
Wabco AA2. It came off a Subway car IIRC.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Sounds like a nice collection you have there, GP9R! ;)
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

Schteinkuh
Railcam Terrorizer

I'd be willing to bet that AA2 came off an NJT Arrow
According to all known laws of aviation, there is no way a bee should be able to fly. Its wings are too small to get its fat little body off the ground. The bee, of course, flies anyway because bees don't care what humans think is impossible.

12Bridge
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by 12Bridge »

I'd be willing to bet your wrong.

Schteinkuh
Railcam Terrorizer

12Bridge wrote:I'd be willing to bet your wrong.
Looks an awful lot like Ed K's AA2 off of an Arrow that he sold two years ago. I could be wrong, though.
Last edited by Schteinkuh on Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

12Bridge
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by 12Bridge »

Yup.

GP9R
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GP9R »

cfriedri wrote:Holy... how many M3/M3Hs you got in there? :lol:
At the high point I had 4 M3s and 1 M3H. I've since sold a couple M3s. The K5 in the picture is enough parts to make a K3 or a K5H thats also been sold. The RS5T is actually supposed to be an S5T, but I need the right heads for it. The S3L with snow cones is from D&M 1280. I have the right heads for that and will be a summer project to get restored and painted.

James Sofonia
Grand Traverse Dinner Train 1996

Unread post by James Sofonia »

Ok, Dan Cluley just published some videos from the 1990s. (thanks Dan) In his video near the begining at 2:55 is my favorite Amtrak horn. (beautiful music) Can someone id the engine and the horn on it? thanks.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

Sounds like the same horns that are used on Amtrak locos today, and the same one that was on MMRR 24. Used to love hearing that blowing off in the distance and echoing through the hills of Ada. I'm no horn expert, but I believe it's the K5LA.

Here is Alex's video of 24. Great horn!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

My first video of 24 from back in December of 2014 captures some great quilling action with the older horn valve setup and the K5LA.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

Schteinkuh
Railcam Terrorizer

Pixl wrote:Ok, Dan Cluley just published some videos from the 1990s. (thanks Dan) In his video near the begining at 2:55 is my favorite Amtrak horn. (beautiful music) Can someone id the engine and the horn on it? thanks.

Widefont K5LA and an F40PH

GTWFRED
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GTWFRED »

Nathan K5LA Is also my favorite.