Best Sounding Train Horns

Posts that don't fit in the other train categories. Off Subject Chit Chat I tell you. :)
James Sofonia
Grand Traverse Dinner Train 1996

Best Sounding Train Horns

Unread post by James Sofonia »

With talk in another thread about horns, made me think to ask which horns sound the best. I like the musical sound of most Amtrak trains myself.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Re: Best Sounding Train Horns

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Amtrak is nice because the engineers can still quill most if not all of them. I like RS5Ts myself, but RS3Ks and P5s are nice, too.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Unread post by Ypsi »

"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

EWRice
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by EWRice »

I like the sound of the k5la on mmrr 24 and the old gre 3839. I also like the first generation prime 920 and new cast nathan p3. The most unique sound is a Wabco E2B1. I am working on one of those right now.

I should add that I do not like any horn with all bells facing one direction. There is a unique sound balance when the proper bells are reversed.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

I am partial to my own K5LA. Here's a recording taken at night at Horsehoe Curve a few years ago....

"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

SD80MAC wrote:I am partial to my own K5LA. Here's a recording taken at night at Horsehoe Curve a few years ago....
That was really cool!

Here it is on an actual train...at least I think this is yours IIRC:

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Yep that's mine! And there's me, too.

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hoborich »

I am partial to my own K5LA. Here's a recording taken at night at Horsehoe Curve a few years ago...
That would certainly wake up some chick drifting into your lane while texting. :shock:
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".

SousaKerry
ALCOHAULIC

Unread post by SousaKerry »

I like em all but a few really make my ears bleed. Most notably whatever those high pitched nasty things that NS used on their High Hood dual controlled SD40s and GP40s and GP-38s. I still cringe when I hear one. Also never much cared for the 1st gen diesels that used the 1 note boat horns
What smells like lube oil and diesel.... Oh wait it's just my "Locomotive Breath"

Ypsi

Unread post by Ypsi »

SousaKerry wrote:I like em all but a few really make my ears bleed. Most notably whatever those high pitched nasty things that NS used on their High Hood dual controlled SD40s and GP40s and GP-38s. I still cringe when I hear one. Also never much cared for the 1st gen diesels that used the 1 note boat horns
Likely a P5 is what you speak of: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpoGF3oR-lc

Defiantly an acquired taste, I like the sound of them personally.. The only horn I kind of don't care for is the K3LA. A horn is a horn to some, but the K3LA just isn't my favorite.

cfriedri
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by cfriedri »

I've always been a fan of the nice low bellow of a Leslie RS5T. Nothing beats the far off echo of an RS5T on a quiet evening. I'd also have to say the Leslie RS3L is a commendable counterpart sharing in the bellow and echo. I like the Nathan K5LA but it depends on the casting. On modern Amtrak P42DCs, the sound sort of blends together and seems somewhat dull to me. However, the older cast K5LAs used on early CSX equipment accentuate each tone and they sound variably better.
Connor

SousaKerry
ALCOHAULIC

Unread post by SousaKerry »

Yup that P5 is the terrible one. Growing up when the wind was right we could hear NS blowing for the crossings in Maple Grove on the Fostoria Sub, a good 5-10 miles north of where I grew up. Where I was in sight of the Williard sub and the then Corothers secondary for Conrail and later Indian Hi-rail and now the Northern Ohio and Western(NOW)
What smells like lube oil and diesel.... Oh wait it's just my "Locomotive Breath"

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

SousaKerry wrote:I like em all but a few really make my ears bleed. Most notably whatever those high pitched nasty things that NS used on their High Hood dual controlled SD40s and GP40s and GP-38s. I still cringe when I hear one. Also never much cared for the 1st gen diesels that used the 1 note boat horns
EWRice wrote:I like the sound of the k5la on mmrr 24 and the old gre 3839. I also like the first generation prime 920 and new cast nathan p3. The most unique sound is a Wabco E2B1. I am working on one of those right now.

I should add that I do not like any horn with all bells facing one direction. There is a unique sound balance when the proper bells are reversed.
You want an acquired taste, how about them Nathan P7's. Man they got a lot going on. Sound like a LOUD horn with all of those chimes going at once.

Here is a video with a P7 as well as the Wabco E2B1. I agree those are VERY unique.

Look through this guy's collection of video's. There are some unusual horns in there, from A Nathan K-3HL1 to a Leslie SL-4T. Many more for the horn lover! I personally would love to have one of the Wabco, Leslie or Westinghouse single chime horns, or whatever Whitewater Valley #25 has, an M3 or M5.

Listen to this "Frankenhorn" that has (in my opinion) a VERY mean sound to it.

1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

Ypsi

Unread post by Ypsi »

That P7 sounds pretty cool as did the second one. 7 chimes for a neat sound..

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

RS5T, P3, and P5.
Bottom text.

redside20
i don't give a fark about your PM

Unread post by redside20 »

best sounding....Nathan K5L, K5H, K3L, K3H....What were those airhorns that GTW used...M3?...P5 on NS 65, 6600 series SD60's very haunting from a distance along with the K5H...finally another horn that was sweet was the main one that Conrail used in the 80's was I believe a Leslie S3L? very melodic sounding from a distance....

Worst airhorns...the ones that Burlington Northern used..that I believe were a leslie variant of some kind...The southern screamers...airhorns on most Southern Railway locomotives.
Exit stage left

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Any idea what horn is on this BNSF ACe? I think its one of the best horn's I've captured yet.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

redside20 wrote:Worst airhorns...the ones that Burlington Northern used..that I believe were a leslie variant of some kind...
RS3K probably?

Rumor is the C&M will open with an RS3K this year :wink:

59caddy
bag of holding

Unread post by 59caddy »

I like the horns to have tritones and to have e-flat, b-flat, or f-sharp as at least one of the tones. I like the timbre to be dark, as it's less pointy and overpowering. I don't mind lack of intonation, but outright dissonance is off the books for me.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

MQT1223 wrote:

Any idea what horn is on this BNSF ACe? I think its one of the best horn's I've captured yet.
That's a new Nathan K5LLA or K5LLM.