Quarries and above ground mining

Posts that don't fit in the other train categories. Off Subject Chit Chat I tell you. :)
minernut333
Railroadfan...fan

Quarries and above ground mining

Unread post by minernut333 »

After enough time looking on Google Earth and maps I start to notice big white spot's that are quarries or some type of above ground mining. I have also noticed that some quarries transport their materials by covered hopper or open hoppers. So, which is the best rolling stock to transport minerals and materials from quarries? Open hoppers, closed hoppers, ballast hoppers, or gondola's?
Minernut MRC333

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Quarries and above ground mining

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

The quarry near Bayport, in the Thumb (Michigan) loads mostly open hoppers, I believe. Most of the aggregate cars I see are open hoppers, usually two bay cars (stone seems to weight out (too heavy) before it cubes out (uses all available space in the car)). I've also seen the Ortner cars (special kind of open hopper used mostly for aggregates), but the only road I've personally seen the Ortners on is CSX.
~ Charles W.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

It seems to me the quarries in MI ship aggregate in chunks (not the right term) which moves better in open top hoppers or gondolas. I think covered hoppers are used when the aggregate is ground into powder which I don't think any of the mines around MI process in that method. I'm not an expert, though, and may be wrong.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

minernut333
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by minernut333 »

The reason I asked is because I was looking at a 2005 Wisconsin Railroad Map as a PDF. As always I notice dead ends and wonder what keeps those lines active. One line in particular was a Canada National ex Chicago and Northwestern Line from Manitowoc, WI to Rockwood, WI. In Rockwood, Wisconsin, there is a limestone quarry owned and operated by Carmeuse Lime and stone. Looking around the quarry, I happen to notice there are closed hopper cars that load the Lime material probably as crushed or powdered limestone.
Minernut MRC333

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

minernut333 wrote:The reason I asked is because I was looking at a 2005 Wisconsin Railroad Map as a PDF. As always I notice dead ends and wonder what keeps those lines active. One line in particular was a Canada National ex Chicago and Northwestern Line from Manitowoc, WI to Rockwood, WI. In Rockwood, Wisconsin, there is a limestone quarry owned and operated by Carmeuse Lime and stone. Looking around the quarry, I happen to notice there are closed hopper cars that load the Lime material probably as crushed or powdered limestone.
CN service a pair of mines that ship roofing granules in covered hoppers. Each mine ships around 20 cars a day. Perhaps the mine you saw is one of those :?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Standard Railfan »

minernut333 wrote:The reason I asked is because I was looking at a 2005 Wisconsin Railroad Map as a PDF. As always I notice dead ends and wonder what keeps those lines active. One line in particular was a Canada National ex Chicago and Northwestern Line from Manitowoc, WI to Rockwood, WI. In Rockwood, Wisconsin, there is a limestone quarry owned and operated by Carmeuse Lime and stone. Looking around the quarry, I happen to notice there are closed hopper cars that load the Lime material probably as crushed or powdered limestone.
The Carmeuse operation in Rockwood is a Lime Kiln. The finished product, lime, is a light powder that is best kept dry. The lime is typically shipped in covered hoppers or super sacks in side boxcars or trucks.

One of the roofing granule plants AARR mentioned is located in Kremlin, near Pembine, Wisconsin. N45 39 10 W 87 50 48.

Most quarries and mines ship products in open hoppers or gondolas as they product is rock which is for the most part weather proof, heavy, and of low value. Some of the "rock" is then processed into a more valuable and possibly weather sensitive product that needs to be kept out of the wind and water.

trnwatcher
My name ain't Steven

Unread post by trnwatcher »

Steven F. Shick
http://www.youtube.com/user/trnwatcher
http://www.trnwatcher.net

I.T. guy/Railfan
"The true railfan has two favorite railroads....the Baltimore & Ohio and another one." - Charles S. Roberts