Canadian Pacific is hiring

Posts that don't fit in the other train categories. Off Subject Chit Chat I tell you. :)
SW
Rail Trail Explorer

Canadian Pacific is hiring

Unread post by SW »

In this morning's Detroit Free Press. Looks like it's primarily for North Dakota, but...
http://www.careerbuilder.com/jobseeker/ ... 2.21.0.0.0

An exciting future is emerging with Canadian Pacific has always played a vital role in connecting North America, the economy, and our communities.

These are exciting times for railroad employees and we want you to be a of part of our team.

We're holding recruitment sessions to hire Conductors and Trainmasters to work at various Canadian Pacific locations, specifically North Dakota. Relocation is offered.

Railroad employees receive great salaries, benefits, a pension plan, extensive training, and numerous opportunities for advancement.

Attend our recruitment session open house Monday May 19th through Friday May 23rd from 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM at the MGM hotel located at 1777 3rd Street, Detroit, MI. Interviews and applications accepted on the spot. Parking will be validated.

CP is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action Employer
Owosso Steve

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: Canadian Pacific is hiring

Unread post by AARR »

The are hiring to replace everyone who left or was fired when E. Hunter Harrison took over :wink:
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

They're hiring because the guys EHH took over from didn't see the rising traffic levels as anything other than a short term issue. Companies operating in that area (especially railroads) are realizing they need more bodies to run trains and that the oil isn't the passing fad it appeared to be a few years ago.

I'm surprised to see it's CP hiring, not BNSF. I thought CP's biggest problems were in Minnesota, not North Dakota.
~ Charles W.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

From what I can tell they're firing in some areas but hiring where they NEED it, like The oil fields. Not many will get jobs outside of the oil fields...other jobs will be snatched up by those laid off as they become available...they trimmed the fat but other areas continue to grow
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

MQT3001 wrote:From what I can tell they're firing in some areas but hiring where they NEED it, like The oil fields. Not many will get jobs outside of the oil fields...other jobs will be snatched up by those laid off as they become available...they trimmed the fat but other areas continue to grow
T&E ranks aren't that easily 'thinned' like that. That's why you have seniority, work protection, "New York Dock", etc. I believe CP may have 'system' seniority or at least the US guys can exercise their seniority across a pretty wide geographic area. Guys at the bottom might get 'furloughed' but they'll still be on a seniority roster. When the INRD bought out the CP, those guys were allowed to go quite a few different places on the CP system.

Management, yes, those ranks can be thinned with a stroke of a pen. That is where EHH has really 'cleaned house' or people have just up and quit. That is what is impacting the CP the most, the loss of people in middle management who knew what was going on, who just said "to hell with it."

They were hiring for T&E in Indianapolis not that long ago. Really got the buffs down here in a fervor with the 'what ifs' and 'OMG CP IS GOING TO BUY THE INRD" and a myriad of other hair brained ideas. If they'd bothered to read the ad, it was for locations on their system, just like that one.

Practice Safe CSX

canpac08
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by canpac08 »

We are hire for alot of reasons, yes we cut jobs laid people off. Called people back but many did not return. The oil /grain in the Dakotas has made for a slight increase in traffic while having a retention rate that is really low on new hire conductors. Not only are we seeing an increase in hiring managers T&E but also in the ranks of signal maintainers between Glenwood Minnesota and Portal North Dakota. They plan to have CTC fully implemented by years end 2015. Signals are to start getting cut in mid June. In some ways the Dakotas are on the cutting edge for Canadian Pacific 's SOO Line. Also sounds like when they have openings for Enderlin and Harvey north Dakota. If you apply your almost guaranteed an interview.
He who wanders with purpose, has no purpose to wander

CAT345C
RedNeck Train Chaser

Unread post by CAT345C »

I work with a few people from the CP that came from the western part, have nothing good to say about the management style over there.
Making the railroad all Catywompus since 2008

https://www.flickr.com/gp/66353741@N07/02EZ1e

tsinoms
Adult Gerber Baby

Unread post by tsinoms »

canpac08 wrote:We are hire for alot of reasons, yes we cut jobs laid people off. Called people back but many did not return. The oil /grain in the Dakotas has made for a slight increase in traffic while having a retention rate that is really low on new hire conductors. Not only are we seeing an increase in hiring managers T&E but also in the ranks of signal maintainers between Glenwood Minnesota and Portal North Dakota. They plan to have CTC fully implemented by years end 2015. Signals are to start getting cut in mid June. In some ways the Dakotas are on the cutting edge for Canadian Pacific 's SOO Line. Also sounds like when they have openings for Enderlin and Harvey north Dakota. If you apply your almost guaranteed an interview.
Seems like NS is having the same deal going on down by you canpac.
This is my life. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

If this is a problem get used to it.

canpac08
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by canpac08 »

We do have some trouble with managers out here in the Dakotas but not so much at the local level. We have brought in alot of people from the CN and off the street. As for me I'm semi happier out in the Dakotas. Granted we have lost many guys from Enderlin and from the cities to the MRL. Only time will tell what will happen out here. Upgrading of the line from portal to Glenwood. The contract negotiations coming up soon and Hunters wants running trades to go hourly. Not to mention finding away to retain employees. Though oil field work and harsh winters play a role wanting to work out here in the running trades. I myself have taken the wait and see approach.I'm coming to my own decisions as to the direction of CP.
He who wanders with purpose, has no purpose to wander