Railroad Alaska: New Series

Posts that don't fit in the other train categories. Off Subject Chit Chat I tell you. :)
Racer
Stops in Oncoming Traffic

Railroad Alaska: New Series

Unread post by Racer »

Looks like the Destination America Channel has a new series premiering November 16th called Railroad Alaska.

Preview:

http://america.discovery.com/tv-shows/r ... k-peek.htm
"...and I was in the front and Matt grabbed and pulled my ears from behind me and made horsey sounds."

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: Railroad Alaska: New Series

Unread post by AARR »

I don't recall how long ago that Trains Mag had a nice article about the Alaska Railroad. Covered both freight and passenger operations. If I can find it I'll try to post some of the highlights.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

AARR wrote:I don't recall how long ago that Trains Mag had a nice article about the Alaska Railroad. Covered both freight and passenger operations. If I can find it I'll try to post some of the highlights.
It was a year or so ago.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

SW
Rail Trail Explorer

Unread post by SW »

Issue was December, 2011
Owosso Steve

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Unread post by Ypsi »

Watching the Alaska RR show, interesting to see a Railroad portrayed as a "Reality Show". Not a lot or RR terms being used, but that can be expected considering most who watch this aren't going to be train buffs. The constant "time crunch" everything the RR is doing is also overplayed a lot, all be it with reason. And the temperature is way overplayed, how cold can it be?? wait :lol:

Pretty cool overall, the main focus is not on just trains, more the rougher operating conditions on the Alaska RR. Showed replacing a rail, clearing avalanche, delivering gas to locals on a hi rail truck, and unloading a barge of freight cars.

They keep changing trains when they show areal shots of the train they were "following", changing from GP40-2's to SD70MAC's on the important train.. get it right TV producers :twisted:
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

I watched it today and enjoyed the show :)

Freight Trains:
- Daily tank car train from Fairbanks to Anchorage and block south to Seward (12000 cars per year)
- Daily coal train moves from Healy goes both south to Seward (export) and north to Fairbanks (local use)
- General merchandise and intermodal train runs Anchorage to Fairbanks as needed sometimes daily
- One or two gravel trains per day run Anchorage north to three mines and return during construction season
- Locals run Fairbanks west and Anchorage south

Passenger Trains:
- Coastal Classic departs Anchorage for Seward and returns in evening
- Denali Star goes Anchorage to Fairbanks (counter part departs Fairbanks for Anchorage)
- Glacier Discovery departs Anchorage for points south
During summer operates several other passenger train north and south of Anchorage to accommodate local and tourist passengers
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

SousaKerry
ALCOHAULIC

Unread post by SousaKerry »

Perty good series so far for non-railfans. My favorite screw up so far is when they used the sound of a locomotive (SD40-2) being notched up from Idle to about run 4 for the sound of a spreader engine speeding up, not quite the same noise.

Animal and Danny seem like a typical seen it all done it all railroad crew, funny too.
What smells like lube oil and diesel.... Oh wait it's just my "Locomotive Breath"

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

SousaKerry wrote:My favorite screw up so far is when they used the sound of a locomotive (SD40-2) being notched up from Idle to about run 4 for the sound of a spreader engine speeding up, not quite the same noise.
I don't recall ARR having SD40's. They have GP40's and SD70's did you maybe confuse it or did they get some I wasn't aware of?

SousaKerry
ALCOHAULIC

Yeah sorry gp-40 same engine and sound though
What smells like lube oil and diesel.... Oh wait it's just my "Locomotive Breath"

redside20
i don't give a fark about your PM

Unread post by redside20 »

I watched an episode tonight and the ARR's freight trains interest me quite a bit. Lots of unusual items being transported on various flat cars on these trains that are strapped and tied down very carefully. Which begs the question, Is there an online log or journal out there of someone tracing and noting all of ARR's train movements with these odd assortment of equipment, containers, unit trains etc..being shipped?
Exit stage left

SousaKerry
ALCOHAULIC

It kind of reminds me of 1950's and earlier railroading where most heavy equipment went by rail cause the roads and trucks couldn't take the size and weight. Of coarse all the flagstops and LCL freight are a thing of the past as well. If it weren't for the modern locomotives, and Hi-Rail trucks the whole Railroad would look like a time capsule. I have even seen a few friction bearing wood deck flat cars still in use

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Unread post by Ypsi »

Just saw on discovery they are bringing the show back for a second season starting October 25th I believe is what it siad
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

FYI the new series is on, believe episodes 1-3 have ran so far on this season 2.
http://www.destinationamerica.com/tv-sh ... oad-alaska
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

SousaKerry
ALCOHAULIC

Yep been watching second season, different train crew they are following this year and a few other new faces. Same format trying to create drama with normal everyday railroading just colder.

I really love it when they trow in some stock footage and they can't even get the locomotive type right. They were following a train led by 4 GP-40's and then they switch to a shot of SD-70's rolling through a crossing.

In the last episode some idiot abandoned their beat up old SUV on the main line they try to tow it but the chain breaks because the rear end is locked up or something. So they call in an excavator and try to pick it up by the roof well that doesn't work so they just roll it over and off the tracks into the ditch and leave it.

I wonder what happened to Danny and Animal though, the first season they were laying off maintenance workers, so I wonder if they didn't offer early retirement to them.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

SousaKerry wrote:Yep been watching second season, different train crew they are following this year and a few other new faces. Same format trying to create drama with normal everyday railroading just colder.

I really love it when they trow in some stock footage and they can't even get the locomotive type right. They were following a train led by 4 GP-40's and then they switch to a shot of SD-70's rolling through a crossing.
I noticed these too :lol: I guess they have to try and make it interesting to the non-railfans out there. When the reruns air at 4am is when I'll watch.

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Bump bump - Season 3 of Railroad Alaska starts on November 14th 2015: http://www.tvguide.com/tvshows/railroad ... es/602446/
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

More attempts to make mundane situations look exciting and/or life threatening. OMG. there's a train 3 hours away and if we don't move this log it'll never stop in time and crash into the log and our rescue team because we apparently can't move :lol: . And yet I watch :oops: .
~Z~ wrote:Bump bump - Season 3 of Railroad Alaska starts on November 14th 2015: http://www.tvguide.com/tvshows/railroad ... es/602446/

SousaKerry
ALCOHAULIC

Wonder if we will get the ethnic diversity 3 man/woman crew again this year..

"The hey look we hired the only female African American in Alaska and put her on our 3 man crew to sit in the back seat and do nothing all trip" show.

trnwatcher
My name ain't Steven

Unread post by trnwatcher »

SousaKerry wrote:Wonder if we will get the ethnic diversity 3 man/woman crew again this year..

"The hey look we hired the only female African American in Alaska and put her on our 3 man crew to sit in the back seat and do nothing all trip" show.
I think she was either married to or living with one of the other crew members on that train.
Steven F. Shick
http://www.youtube.com/user/trnwatcher
http://www.trnwatcher.net

I.T. guy/Railfan
"The true railfan has two favorite railroads....the Baltimore & Ohio and another one." - Charles S. Roberts

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

AARR wrote: I guess they have to try and make it interesting to the non-railfans out there.
So they're going to make it interesting AND try? Why don't they just make it interesting and forget about the trying part? :lol:
Last edited by J T on Sat Nov 14, 2015 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.