What are you Life Dreams?

Posts that don't fit in the other train categories. Off Subject Chit Chat I tell you. :)
CAT345C
RedNeck Train Chaser

What are you Life Dreams?

Unread post by CAT345C »

What are you biggest life dreams or goals keeping it "G" rated please :D

My dream is to have a Old LS&I RSD15 in red and yellow in my back yard with a ore car and a cabose. My second dream is to own my own running locomotive and 15 cars and a 50 mile section of track that I can run on.

My goals are to be a Loco. engineer, heavy equipment operator for a mine or heavy civil contractor, own a GMC Sierra 3500 with a Duramax diesel and a Allison Transmission a 2003 since now they have emissions standards. A motor home for traveling around the country chasing trains, a Case 580 or a Cat 420 backhoe, and 40 acres to retire on in the Upper Penisula, so far I have the 40 acres since its already in my family. Ohh, and to have 2 kids both girls, since I know how evil boys are :twisted: and a wife.
Making the railroad all Catywompus since 2008

https://www.flickr.com/gp/66353741@N07/02EZ1e

i995impalass
Yooper Foamer

Unread post by i995impalass »

holy crap you about described my dreams, but id change the loco to a U-boat, {dont care which one, 18b,23b/c 28b/c 30c, as long as it has LS&I paint } Change my pick up to a (2001-2002) 2500HD Silverado. Have lots of land up by Big Bay, Ranch style house HUGE train layout of the UP in my basment. Bring the wife and kids. And then i would change the dozers to my fleet of 1991-1996 Caprice's and Impala's. I would also have to have a big pole barn. 30x60 sounds good. Id buy all the property from the old Marquette and Huron Mt and put the tracks back in, run 2-8-0 steam trains back and forth from Marquette, like in the good old days even if nobody rode , i would still make trips for fun. Then i would build a spur to the lighthouse in Big Bay, so i could sit and at lake superior, or i could stop at the station in Big Bay walk over to Perkins Park and sit on Lake Indepenace. Then id get some property over off Teal Lake, and build a huge log cabin stye home. I could just keep going.

Justin
Train Videoholic

Unread post by Justin »

Man the only dream I have right now is finishing college and finding a good job, of course I like to take life one step at a time. I guess I am too realistic. But to be unreal for a moment, I would like to model all of the railroads in Michigan in HO scale and the train traffic would be like it was before the auto plants started to shut down. Thats all I can think about for right now, my mind is really slow today.
My train pictures can now be found at:
http://trainman86.rrpicturearchives.net

And my train videos at:
http://www.youtube.com/trainman1986

My website, dedicated to my layout, "The Fast Lane" (still under construction)
www.trainman86.webs.com

CAT345C
RedNeck Train Chaser

Unread post by CAT345C »

Well I would take any GM truck Silverado or Sierra thats before the new styling. The new 3500HD Sierra's look a lot like the F350. I saw a picture on the GMC website http://www.gmc.com

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Be a principle, not necessarily an owner, in a Michigan shortline railroad.

I was involved in groups who made inquiries about the former CR Lansing Secondary (pre-steel plant in Holt around 1993) and CN's Romeo Sub (around 1997).

CR was using the GTW from Lansing to Battle Creek to haul their lucrative automotive business from the Lansing Beltline making the Lansing Secondary expendable. The Lansing Secondary was beyond our groups financial resources. I believe at the time there was around 2,000 carloads annually between Jackson and Lansing. Can you imagine NS's asking price now with that steel mill generating 30-50 cars per day!

The Romeo Sub would have been interesting because we had a road construction company interested in shipping 3,500 cars annually of limestone from Calcite (east of Rogers City). But CN was not interested in the business and the income of the remaining on line business would not pay the bills. There was another group interested in operating passenger trains and the like who were making inquiries at the same time but oddly enough we didn't find out about them until after the tracks were torn out.

Some people may wonder why the Romeo Sub wouldn't be viable with Ford Engine alone. The Plant Manager adamently said they would not use rail service because of unreliable service. That was sad because we identified around 1,200-1,500 cars a year that Ford could have benefitted from direct rail service.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Justin
Train Videoholic

Unread post by Justin »

Another thought has popped into my head, I would like to own and operate a busy interlocking tower. I always like railroad signals and owning my own interlocking and signal tower would be pretty cool. Of course there would have to be lots of train traffic.

And my train videos at:

www.trainman86.webs.com

SousaKerry
ALCOHAULIC

Unread post by SousaKerry »

a dilapidated old alco with lots of parts and a full machine shop and a lackey to wash the parts :D :D :D oh and to be independantly wealthy so I can work on it full time. Oh and a few miles of track would be nice or atleast a friendly shortline who wouldn't mind a few test runs, and free emergency power.
What smells like lube oil and diesel.... Oh wait it's just my "Locomotive Breath"

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

My Dreams/Goals:
Job/Career: To be an officer on the executive board (or maybe a VP) for a class 1 railroad. Shy of that, I'd like to work for the railroad in the business offices (maybe marketing, if any of those companies even have one of those departments anymore :D). I'd also like to see each and every one of the Class 1s capitalize more on carload freight, after first adding the capacity to their systems to handle the stuff more efficiently (to a certain extent- to go after all carload freight would probably reduce profits, but to go after a certain amount of carload and, even, new shippers, should increase profitability to a certain extent...in theory).

Vehicle wise- I'd like to [someday] own a [Ford] F-350, with the extended? cab and the extended/full bed...and probably an older 1500/150 series truck(from the any of the Big Three- Ford, GM or DMC) as well (for the little things :D )...as well as a cargo van (mini or full size, not sure yet) to haul stuff that is sensitive to the weather...and probably because my first car was an Astro van, I'd almost prefer to have another one of those or a truck as my primary car. On a realistic scale, I'd like to buy either one of those cars that gets 50 miles to the gallon or a 4x4 that's extremely fuel efficient (I know, that's pretty much an oxymoron at present, but then again, I'm not gonna be in the auto market for at least another couple years anyway).

Model Railroading: To build a "complete" model railroad, or at least complete one to the point of basic scenery, in an environment where it's not gonna get banged up all that much. My current (and best so far) layout gets in the way of my head and shoulders, being mounted on the wall in my bedroom. I'd like to have a room devoted to the trains, and be able to fill that room with the layout that features my favorite industries and trains [so, probably set in the country and outskirts of the cities, featuring agricultural activity and other industrial activity typical of the country (auto parts suppliers, warehouses, etc.) ]. I'd also like to someday build an O scale layout (2 or 3 rail or both...haven't decided yet) that is detailed- moreso than is possible in either HO or N scales...not a Lionel Hi-rail layout with a bunch of Lionel stamped buildings...rather a highly detailed model railroad that just happens to also be O scale.
One other long-term modelrailroad goal I have is to join the NMRA (money is enough of a concern to be a prevention at the present, plus lack of NMRA groups within a reasonable distance of me either at school or at home). I've seen something of their Master Model Railroader program and from what I've seen, its something I'd like to pursue, given the time, energy and resources to do so.

One other (long-term, but not THAT long-term) goal would be to develop my photography skills to the point at which I feel comfortable entering a photography contest (like the Trains Mag. one) and not feel like I was wasting the judges time. More of a personal goal than anything, but unlike most of the other stuff in this post, easier to achieve...

CAT345C
RedNeck Train Chaser

Unread post by CAT345C »

The GM colorados, and Canyons get really decent gas mileage, now you will not be bogging through swamps, but they are decent trucks. And with the new GMC and Chevy 1500s coming with a diesel that the Caddy will get for the European market, things are looking real good for fuel mileage, since diesel offers more power, and better economy. (not referring to large semis)

Justin
Train Videoholic

Unread post by Justin »

Okay another random thought, I would someday like to have a finished layout perhaps when I have my own house and have a family who also likes trains. I have always dreamed of having a son and getting him to be a train fanatic like me but first I must meet a special girl who would also loves trains and that can be tricky.

And my train videos at:

www.trainman86.webs.com

E
Railroadfan...fan

dreams

Unread post by E »

Ive summed up my life goals into 3.

1. Get Married, and have a family.
2. Travel
3. Serve God and people in a way that is sustainable.

So far I have gotten to travel.

-E

i995impalass
Yooper Foamer

Unread post by i995impalass »

GM also has a hybyrd pick up coming out also they have the ethonal burn trucks too( E-90 or 85 or somthing)

TrainNut85
Train Chaser

Unread post by TrainNut85 »

My goals in life is getting married and getting the career i had been wanting. My career is being a locomotive mechanic and working for the TSBY(GLC) or any railroad here in Michigan. I also have dreams as well, if i had ever struck it rich i would buy the last two sharknoses, fix them up, put them back into the NYC lightning stripes but keep the numbers they have right now.

RailCanon
BANHAMMERED

Unread post by RailCanon »

I have two primary dreams:
Become a locomotive engineer or conductor for Amtrak, CN, or BNSF.
Or Become a dispatcher for CN, in Troy.
My other primary dream is to be a Liscenced Steam locomotive engineer, and operate large steam locomotives, such as the PM 1225 or NKP 765.

J484fan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by J484fan »

If money were no object I can think of two things I'd like to do. The first would be doing what it takes to put the N&W 611 and 1218 back on rails. I never got a chance to see them in action other than videos. The second would be to do a layout of the entire Pocahontas District right when N&W was starting to implement diesels but still had plenty of steam on the rails.
Okay so a third, how about an HO layout of Chicago when there were about 12 to 14 or so RR's running through the city?

MMRR-24
Shortline Fan

Unread post by MMRR-24 »

Hmmm. This is easy. My goal in life is to have my own successful farm. That and I want to attend the University Of Oklahoma specializing in Metorology of severe thunderstorms.

J484fan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by J484fan »

As far as being more realistic goes number for me as someone else mentioned is to serve God to the best of my ability. Second would be to have my own BBQ joint. No one around here knows how to cook the stuff. I have been to every joint around South Bend and have tried anyplace I could find from here to St. Joe, MI and points all around. I started cooking on the grill when I was 15 and have been doing it for a little over 20 yrs. now. Anytime someone has a party I always wind up tending the grill. I've studied and tried every technique I could find to the point where I can do it in my sleep. Whether you want Memphis or KC style it doesn't matter I can do it all. Nothing gives me greater joy than seeing the look on someone's face when they sink their teeth into my BBQ. Now if I could just afford a Pro Cooker.

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

I saw on the tv 17 news here in GR the other night the "Rib crib" was closing down because the owner passed away and the family wasn't intersted in keep it going. Here's your chance :D Link to the story: http://fox17.trb.com/111206-wxmi-ribcri ... xmi-home-2

J484fan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by J484fan »

I'd love to but your looking at three grand just for a good cooker that's big enough to get you started. I'd be looking at 100 grand or better for something like that. I'm still recovering from chapter 7 bankruptcy.

trainjunkie47
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by trainjunkie47 »

I want to buy the property just the other side of the tracks from the station in Durand where the abandoned building sits near the high wye. I would build a small hotel/restaurant with second story rooms having balconies facing the tracks and a lounge above the restaurant.