Favorite scanner chatter

Posts that don't fit in the other train categories. Off Subject Chit Chat I tell you. :)
Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Favorite scanner chatter

Unread post by Standard Railfan »

I just recalled a ride down the hill on the LS&I back in '95 or '96. As we rounded a curve near the dock yard we looked back and noticed some smoke. As we entered the yard, a voice came over the radio. "Break out the hotdogs, we've got a hot one here."

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

"Are we going to pit at 28th?"

I heard that from a CSX crew some time ago about stopping for lunch over near 28th Street in Grand Rapids.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Unread post by Ypsi »

"23..... 68...... calling Ann Arbor..... Watco Tower... over........ We are reporting at this time.... that we have arrived at Pittsfield.. Michigan....... that's a big 10-4.... Ann Arbor... Watco... 2368 out"

Ahhhhh been a while since I have heard this crew on the scanner, calling at Pittsfield jct, nice excited voice with lots of pauses.
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

Ypsi

Unread post by Ypsi »

"Just so we can party sooner I'll give it to you now" ... "..effective until the time of one..eleven fifteen.. One, uhhhh, one, one.. Five.. In the PM"

Ypsi

Unread post by Ypsi »

You know its a Friday,
Maintainer to the DS: "Alright Thanks dude, I'll Talk to ya later"

Pie39
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Pie39 »

At this year's Fostoria Railfest there was an NS local switching at Columbus Ave...

"Hey can we get outta here, these people are about to ask for autographs."
Modeling the Ann Arbor Railroad in the 70's in N scale.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7JFDy ... ja0S1o7Q9A

Ypsi

Unread post by Ypsi »

"353 approach 25 west."

"What happened we couldn't get the clear fellas... Amtrak 353 stop signal Ypsi........... Ohh well"

Says an already late 353 now waiting on an on time 350

ConrailMan5
Better than Ypsi

Unread post by ConrailMan5 »

Engineer on 353 seductively. "Need a little loving' to stay warm"

Also

"353 to Dearborn... We got a limited clear at ypsi on the one."
Dearborn:"take it while you can 353"
"I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different."
-Kurt Vonnegut

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

ConrailMan5 wrote:Engineer on 353 seductively. "Need a little loving' to stay warm"

Also

Interesting...Ypsi can give Limited aspects? I figured it would be an ordinary 30-mph Medium.

ConrailMan5
Better than Ypsi

MQT3001 wrote:
ConrailMan5 wrote:Engineer on 353 seductively. "Need a little loving' to stay warm"

Also

Interesting...Ypsi can give Limited aspects? I figured it would be an ordinary 30-mph Medium.
I did not see the aspect, but limited clear is red over green(correct me if I'm wrong). It is a conrail era tri light. Top head has green and yellow plated over, bottom head has all three aspects still. So it is possible.
They were having signaling issues anyway, something about a local power failure. It was unusual circumstances For the meet. 351 ran up the 1 main because a hi rail had stalled on the 2. They cleared it up at willow run, and 350 continued on the 2 track. Not how they usually do the meets. I'd never seen them get a limited clear their either.
Last edited by ConrailMan5 on Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different."
-Kurt Vonnegut

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

ConrailMan5 wrote: I did not see the aspect, but limited clear is red over green(correct me if I'm wrong).
Red over Flashing Green.

Methinks that perhaps the engineer may have been joking to the dispatcher?

Practice Safe CSX

ConrailMan5
Better than Ypsi

CSX_CO wrote:
ConrailMan5 wrote: I did not see the aspect, but limited clear is red over green(correct me if I'm wrong).
Red over Flashing Green.

Practice Safe CSX
Now that I think about itI believe 38e, when they run up the one, has gotten limited clear off the rusty rail at ypsi.
-Kurt Vonnegut

Ypsi

Unread post by Ypsi »

CSX_CO wrote:
Red over Flashing Green.

Practice Safe CSX
It also could be medium clear which is Red over solid green.. There are not many possible signals coming off of the one track at Ypsi. I could not tell out there today, the 1 track signal for some reason is much dimmer then the 2 tracks signals. Only possibablilties off of the one track are red over red, red over yellow, and red over green. Weather or not the green will flash or not I am not sure, but respectively that's Stop, limited approach, and medium clear. if any of them can flash it will obviously increase the different things to do. Next time we will have to listen closer to confirm and of course learn, but CRman is correct in saying it was not just a normal "clear". same with 38e the other night.

Hogger1225
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Hogger1225 »

Red over Green on a high masted two headed signal is Medium Clear. Red over a Flashing Green on a high masted two headed signal is a Limited Clear. Got these out of my old NS Operating Rules book. These are listed as Norfolk Southern Corporation (Conrail Signals). The previous two signals are listed the same in the NORAC section. A Red over Green on a high masted two headed signal in the Norfolk and Western Railway section is called a Diverging Clear, also listed as the same in the Norfolk Southern section. There are no Red over Flashing Green High Masted two headed signals listed in the Norfolk and Western and Norfolk Southern sections. Since CP Ypsi is formerly Conrail (NORAC) it did display a Red over a Flashing Green back in my day, (when there wasn't any rust on #1 Main and we could run 70 mph on passenger.). It may have been changed since 2009 which was when I was placed on disability. Ran that section of track thousands of times since 1970 and that was when it was double track from Detroit all the way to MP 150 west of Kalamazoo. Hope this helps.
I used to get paid for doing what all of you like to watch!

ConrailDetr​oit
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ConrailDetr​oit »

YpsiAmtrakBoy wrote:
CSX_CO wrote:
Red over Flashing Green.

Practice Safe CSX
It also could be medium clear which is Red over solid green.. There are not many possible signals coming off of the one track at Ypsi. I could not tell out there today, the 1 track signal for some reason is much dimmer then the 2 tracks signals. Only possibablilties off of the one track are red over red, red over yellow, and red over green. Weather or not the green will flash or not I am not sure, but respectively that's Stop, limited approach, and medium clear. if any of them can flash it will obviously increase the different things to do. Next time we will have to listen closer to confirm and of course learn, but CRman is correct in saying it was not just a normal "clear". same with 38e the other night.
Red over yellow would be Restricting. I believe Limited approach is Red over Flashing Yellow with the same logic of Limited Clear being Red over Flashing Green. Not to confuse Limited Approach and Approach Limited which are two separate indications.

I would like to know if the next signal west of Ypsi, 30 W? if was displaying Approach then would Ypsi still display Limited Clear? Or is there a such indication of Limited Advance Approach? If so Im curious as to what that permutation of colors would be.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

30W, 32W, 35W

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

milineamtrak wrote: I believe Limited approach is Red over Flashing Yellow with the same logic of Limited Clear being Red over Flashing Green. Not to confuse Limited Approach and Approach Limited which are two separate indications.
Conrail never had a "Limited Approach". CSX has one, but I've never seen it implemented, and probably never will with the way the interpretation of signal rules has gone now. However, Conrail's definition of "Medium Approach" allowed for higher speeds than "Medium" (30) through switches.

Practice Safe CSX

Ypsi

Unread post by Ypsi »

"Think of positive things like puppy dogs and rainbows and stuff" says the conductor of a late Amtrak 352

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

From Trains Mag, March 2014, "Amateur night at Woodland". 1983, two interim tower men staffing 3rd trick at Woodland Tower in the Bronx covering for the regulars during a strike. Normally there are no train movements during their shift but on this night an unexpected CR 4-unit consist (no cars) comes through. Not knowing what to do they call Grand Central Terminal dispatcher and say,
Tower Man "We just saw four locomotives heading your way on track three"
Dispatcher "Mmm...were they light engines, Woodlawn?"
Tower Man "No, sir, they were blue"
:lol:
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Pie39
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Pie39 »

AARR wrote:From Trains Mag, March 2014, "Amateur night at Woodland". 1983, two interim tower men staffing 3rd trick at Woodland Tower in the Bronx covering for the regulars during a strike. Normally there are no train movements during their shift but on this night an unexpected CR 4-unit consist (no cars) comes through. Not knowing what to do they call Grand Central Terminal dispatcher and say,
Tower Man "We just saw four locomotives heading your way on track three"
Dispatcher "Mmm...were they light engines, Woodlawn?"
Tower Man "No, sir, they were blue"
:lol:
Haha I read that, cracked up. He said something like "Ok, keep at it and, uh, don't touch anything."
Modeling the Ann Arbor Railroad in the 70's in N scale.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7JFDy ... ja0S1o7Q9A