Page 454 of 454

Re: Where Is It?

Posted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:20 am
by ~Z~
Ding, fries are done... Correcto.

Re: Where Is It?

Posted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:03 am
by railrod1949
~Z~ wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:20 am
Ding, fries are done... Correcto.
Yes, indeed, its the east end of the old GTW RR main on the west side of Linden Road, just south of Lennon Road in Flint Township, Genesee County, The building on the left is Karen's Carpetmax. Kohl's store is to the far right.

Re: Where Is It?

Posted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:40 pm
by MQT1223
That track was still in place beyond Linden Rd all the way to Ballenger Hwy up until about 2010 or so. The crossings and everything was intact, including a brand new setup at the nearby Lennon Rd crossing that was removed. For a long time there was a large "For Sale" sign at the former Ballenger crossing with GTW (not CN) being advertised as the seller. The largest crossing was a 5 track crossing at Utley Rd just east of the I-75 overpass governed by crossbucks. There was also a yard between Corunna Rd and Utley Rd. All of this started to come out and the bridge over I-75 was torn out about 5 years ago for what I guess was integrity reasons. Everything from Linden Rd all the way to the former auto plant locations on Flint's west side are now a part of what I believe is the Flint River Trail. Its a nice trail but a lot of it runs through rough neighborhoods. Flint is doing its best to turn some of the area by the old automotive plants into greenspace and parks.

Re: Where Is It?

Posted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:10 pm
by DaveO
MQT1223 wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:40 pm
That track was still in place beyond Linden Rd all the way to Ballenger Hwy up until about 2010 or so. The crossings and everything was intact, including a brand new setup at the nearby Lennon Rd crossing that was removed. For a long time there was a large "For Sale" sign at the former Ballenger crossing with GTW (not CN) being advertised as the seller. The largest crossing was a 5 track crossing at Utley Rd just east of the I-75 overpass governed by crossbucks. There was also a yard between Corunna Rd and Utley Rd. All of this started to come out and the bridge over I-75 was torn out about 5 years ago for what I guess was integrity reasons. Everything from Linden Rd all the way to the former auto plant locations on Flint's west side are now a part of what I believe is the Flint River Trail. Its a nice trail but a lot of it runs through rough neighborhoods. Flint is doing its best to turn some of the area by the old automotive plants into greenspace and parks.
bridge gone in street view September 2008. that section abandoned 2006.

Re: Where Is It?

Posted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:48 pm
by MQT1223
DaveO wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:10 pm
MQT1223 wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:40 pm
That track was still in place beyond Linden Rd all the way to Ballenger Hwy up until about 2010 or so. The crossings and everything was intact, including a brand new setup at the nearby Lennon Rd crossing that was removed. For a long time there was a large "For Sale" sign at the former Ballenger crossing with GTW (not CN) being advertised as the seller. The largest crossing was a 5 track crossing at Utley Rd just east of the I-75 overpass governed by crossbucks. There was also a yard between Corunna Rd and Utley Rd. All of this started to come out and the bridge over I-75 was torn out about 5 years ago for what I guess was integrity reasons. Everything from Linden Rd all the way to the former auto plant locations on Flint's west side are now a part of what I believe is the Flint River Trail. Its a nice trail but a lot of it runs through rough neighborhoods. Flint is doing its best to turn some of the area by the old automotive plants into greenspace and parks.
bridge gone in street view September 2008. that section abandoned 2006.
Couldn't have been 2008... it was about the time the trail started being built. I remember because my dad's fiance lived right around the corner from that bridge up until 2018. You sure your looking at the right bridge? 2006 would make sense given that everything was largely intact up until that point. What was it being used for up to its abandonment?

Re: Where Is It?

Posted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:42 pm
by DaveO
MQT1223 wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:48 pm
DaveO wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:10 pm
MQT1223 wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:40 pm
That track was still in place beyond Linden Rd all the way to Ballenger Hwy up until about 2010 or so. The crossings and everything was intact, including a brand new setup at the nearby Lennon Rd crossing that was removed. For a long time there was a large "For Sale" sign at the former Ballenger crossing with GTW (not CN) being advertised as the seller. The largest crossing was a 5 track crossing at Utley Rd just east of the I-75 overpass governed by crossbucks. There was also a yard between Corunna Rd and Utley Rd. All of this started to come out and the bridge over I-75 was torn out about 5 years ago for what I guess was integrity reasons. Everything from Linden Rd all the way to the former auto plant locations on Flint's west side are now a part of what I believe is the Flint River Trail. Its a nice trail but a lot of it runs through rough neighborhoods. Flint is doing its best to turn some of the area by the old automotive plants into greenspace and parks.
bridge gone in street view September 2008. that section abandoned 2006.
Couldn't have been 2008... it was about the time the trail started being built. I remember because my dad's fiance lived right around the corner from that bridge up until 2018. You sure your looking at the right bridge? 2006 would make sense given that everything was largely intact up until that point. What was it being used for up to its abandonment?
The bridge was removed before the track to it was removed. IIRC, it was removed concurrent with rehab work MDOT was doing on that stretch of I-75.
Corunna Yard saw some usage as car storage near the end.

Re: Where Is It?

Posted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:39 pm
by MQT1223
DaveO wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:10 pm


The bridge was removed before the track to it was removed. IIRC, it was removed concurrent with rehab work MDOT was doing on that stretch of I-75.
Corunna Yard saw some usage as car storage near the end.
The track came out first, save for the crossings. The bridge came out during its own little project well afterwords. Due to the nature of the area it had become a habit for people to walk across it or go around the gates on either end, I even saw a car cross it once.

I'm surprised another bridge wasn't erected in its place, but with a nearby overpass on surface streets it was probably a cheaper long term solution.

I want to say the bridge came down around 2012.

Re: Where Is It?

Posted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:48 pm
by GTW6401
The trail uses the M21 overpass to cross the freeway, and connects back before crossing over Graham Road.

The students at Kettering seem to use the trail the most, especially over near Chevrolet Avenue. That area around the university isnt bad by Flint standards.

Re: Where Is It?

Posted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:51 pm
by DaveO
MQT1223 wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:39 pm
DaveO wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:10 pm


The bridge was removed before the track to it was removed. IIRC, it was removed concurrent with rehab work MDOT was doing on that stretch of I-75.
Corunna Yard saw some usage as car storage near the end.
The track came out first, save for the crossings. The bridge came out during its own little project well afterwords. Due to the nature of the area it had become a habit for people to walk across it or go around the gates on either end, I even saw a car cross it once.

I'm surprised another bridge wasn't erected in its place, but with a nearby overpass on surface streets it was probably a cheaper long term solution.

I want to say the bridge came down around 2012.
Notice the google street view image date of September 2008 and the bridge is gone.
https://goo.gl/maps/vpogty23ncaNmxGR9
It appears the track near and east of I-75 was removed concurrent with the bridge removal.

Re: Where Is It?

Posted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:52 pm
by MQT1223
DaveO wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:51 pm
MQT1223 wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:39 pm
DaveO wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:10 pm


The bridge was removed before the track to it was removed. IIRC, it was removed concurrent with rehab work MDOT was doing on that stretch of I-75.
Corunna Yard saw some usage as car storage near the end.
The track came out first, save for the crossings. The bridge came out during its own little project well afterwords. Due to the nature of the area it had become a habit for people to walk across it or go around the gates on either end, I even saw a car cross it once.

I'm surprised another bridge wasn't erected in its place, but with a nearby overpass on surface streets it was probably a cheaper long term solution.

I want to say the bridge came down around 2012.
Notice the google street view image date of September 2008 and the bridge is gone.
https://goo.gl/maps/vpogty23ncaNmxGR9
It appears the track near and east of I-75 was removed concurrent with the bridge removal.
Man... it sure didn't seem that long ago...