Where Is It?

Posts that don't fit in the other train categories. Off Subject Chit Chat I tell you. :)
Michael
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Where Is It?

Unread post by Michael »

You got the location Rodney but what about the movie?

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PatAzo »

Michael wrote:It is in Alabama. Nowhere near where it is supposed to be in this classic sci-fi film from the '70's
Close Encounters of the Third Kind? Only classic 70's sci fi I can think of. Parts were filmed in Alabama.

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PatAzo »

Michael wrote:Any more hints Pat?
Some hints then.

The locomotive is said to be the oldest of it's class, built in 1905 it pre-dates the Little River #110 by six years. This picture was taken in 2007, the locomotive is out of service waiting over haul at the moment. I was on the tender so it's not a main line operator, think museums. It's not Boston MA. You can be there is an easy days drive from G.R.

railrod1949
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by railrod1949 »

PatAzo wrote:
Michael wrote:It is in Alabama. Nowhere near where it is supposed to be in this classic sci-fi film from the '70's
Close Encounters of the Third Kind? Only classic 70's sci fi I can think of. Parts were filmed in Alabama.

Agreed with PatAzo. Parts of that movie "Close Encounters of the Third Kind" was filmed at the former Brookley Air Force Base in Mobile, AL and another part was filmed at the former L&N RR depot in Bay Minette, AL. Both are located east of the above shot.

Michael
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Michael »

railrod1949
Railroadfan...fan

PatAzo wrote:
Some hints then.

The locomotive is said to be the oldest of it's class, built in 1905 it pre-dates the Little River #110 by six years. This picture was taken in 2007, the locomotive is out of service waiting over haul at the moment. I was on the tender so it's not a main line operator, think museums. It's not Boston MA. You can be there is an easy days drive from G.R.
Little River RR, Colwater, MI or Little River RR/ Lumber Museum, Townsend, TN,

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PatAzo »

railrod1949 wrote:
PatAzo wrote:
Some hints then.

Little River RR, Colwater, MI or Little River RR/ Lumber Museum, Townsend, TN,
I should say when operating it was the oldest locomotive of it's class operational. The Little River 110 was built in 1911. This locomotive was built in 1905. The line is operated under diesel power waiting steams return. It's in Mint Julep country but not Tennessee.

DaveO
Read more, think more, post less

Unread post by DaveO »

You were on the Old Reliable 152

At this location http://goo.gl/maps/f9DxHR2vuDF2

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PatAzo »

DaveO wrote:You were on the Old Reliable 152

At this location http://goo.gl/maps/f9DxHR2vuDF2
That's it. I laughed when I posted it the location was part of the clue.

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PatAzo »

Sticking with the movie theme. It's a night scene so it's a bit dark. Two well known actors riding a box car. They are in Detroit in the morning...in the movie.

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PatAzo »

A brighter copy. Dok where are you? I bet you've been here.

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PatAzo »

PatAzo wrote:Sticking with the movie theme. It's a night scene so it's a bit dark. Two well known actors riding a box car. They are in Detroit in the morning...in the movie.
I didn't recognize this spot at first. So a clue. The 4105 is passing under the bridge. The scene cuts to the box car the two stars are riding in...some dialog...then back track side as their box car approaches. As it passes the camera swings around to follow them.

DaveO
Read more, think more, post less

Unread post by DaveO »

The movie is Scarecrow from 1973.
The engine is B&O 4105 wearing the Chessie System paint.
The location? Well there are scenes from MC station area but that's not the one you're interested in.

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PatAzo »

DaveO wrote:The movie is Scarecrow from 1973.
The engine is B&O 4105 wearing the Chessie System paint.
The location? Well there are scenes from MC station area but that's not the one you're interested in.
Scarecrow is it. This scene is just before they arrive at the MC depot in Detroit (though this is not the Detroit area). The track is in daily use. The concrete silos are still there. The building at the very right is an old power house. There used to be a dam to the left of the railroad bridge. The dozer is working where the raceway to the power house used to be, It's a park today.

Steamlogger
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Steamlogger »

It looks like Newago to me. The first shot is of the old M37 bridge before they rerouted it straight after crossing the river.

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PatAzo »

Steamlogger wrote:It looks like Newago to me. The first shot is of the old M37 bridge before they rerouted it straight after crossing the river.
Newaygo it is. The Depot Restaurant in Grant has a picture of Gene Hackman standing next to a caboose with some of the train crew.

railrod1949
Railroadfan...fan

PatAzo wrote:
Steamlogger wrote:It looks like Newago to me. The first shot is of the old M37 bridge before they rerouted it straight after crossing the river.
Newaygo it is. The Depot Restaurant in Grant has a picture of Gene Hackman standing next to a caboose with some of the train crew.
Yes, that's Newaygo, looking south, across the Muskegon River, along the former C&O Railway line, now Marquette Rail,in the second shot, That's the old M-37 bridge (now Curve Street, just west of the rerouted M-37) in the first shot, along with railroad bridge over the Muskegon River in the foreground. Old silos and the power house were both to the right in the second shot. Final run of the remaining passenger train on the old C&O Ry. line, train nos. 25 and 26, between Grand Rapids and Traverse City, was made on October 29, 1966. All in Newaygo, Newaygo County.
Last edited by railrod1949 on Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

PatAzo wrote:A brighter copy. Dok where are you? I bet you've been here.
darn...$2.99 to watch that on youtube. Now I want to see that scene! I never knew there used to be a steel truss bridge over the tracks with the old M-37 alignment (now known as Curve St. for a very short section).
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

James Sofonia
Grand Traverse Dinner Train 1996

Unread post by James Sofonia »

This movie generally follows a passenger train from L.A. to Chicago, but is hardly there. In fact most of it was not filmed in the U.S.

First was shot in the early 70s.
ss70s.jpg

2nd is the same spot in 2014.
ss2014a.jpg

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PatAzo »

Pixl wrote:This movie generally follows a passenger train from L.A. to Chicago, but is hardly there. In fact most of it was not filmed in the U.S.

First was shot in the early 70s.
ss70s.jpg

2nd is the same spot in 2014.
ss2014a.jpg
Silver Streak, southern Alberta. Exactly where I have not located.