Where Is It?

Posts that don't fit in the other train categories. Off Subject Chit Chat I tell you. :)
EWRice
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Where Is It?

Unread post by EWRice »

Pixl wrote:
Steve3.jpg
Not sure of the road, but I will say up river on the Thunder Bay from Alpena. Wife and I did some exploring last fall with the Alumacraft.

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

railrod1949 wrote:
~Z~ wrote:Where be it?
Looks like a spot where the railroad used to go under this very main road, but was filled in with dirt after the railline was torn up. ROW is between the sets of trees on right side of photo.
Somewhwere in west Michigan. Look like the shot above is looking southwest.
It is in west michigan. Look between Manistee and Traverse City and you should find it.
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

railrod1949
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by railrod1949 »

~Z~ wrote:
railrod1949 wrote:
~Z~ wrote:Where be it?
Looks like a spot where the railroad used to go under this very main road, but was filled in with dirt after the railline was torn up. ROW is between the sets of trees on right side of photo.
It is in west michigan. Look between Manistee and Traverse City and you should find it.
Chippewa Hwy., aka US-31, over the old ROW of the former C&O Railway line, about two miles southwest of Kaleva midway between Traverse City and Manistee, looking south toward Manistee. Just south of Lyman Road, all in Brown Township, Manistee County. Final run of the remaining C&O Railway passenger trains 25/26 between Grand Rapids and Traverse City, was made on October 29, 1966. That trackage itself that formerly went under US-31, was ripped up after the local freight train which was the remaining freight train, made its final run on February 20, 1982.

James Sofonia
Grand Traverse Dinner Train 1996

Unread post by James Sofonia »

EWRice wrote: Not sure of the road, but I will say up river on the Thunder Bay from Alpena. Wife and I did some exploring last fall with the Alumacraft.
EW, you are correct. The line is the East Jordan, Gaylord, and Alpena RR. I've explored this line before but never got a look at the river crossing. Now with Google Earth I got to see it, and looks like the deck is still intact.
Alpena bridge2.jpg
But when I contacted Steve he said the deck is gone and it is the power lines that make it look like it is still there. So he went out and snapped a picture for me. Still there is a lot of RR history in the area.

Michael
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Michael »

I found the remnants of this modest bridge looking for Pixl's location

railrod1949
Railroadfan...fan

Pixl wrote:
EWRice wrote: Not sure of the road, but I will say up river on the Thunder Bay from Alpena. Wife and I did some exploring last fall with the Alumacraft.
EW, you are correct. The line is the East Jordan, Gaylord, and Alpena RR. I've explored this line before but never got a look at the river crossing. Now with Google Earth I got to see it, and looks like the deck is still intact.
Alpena bridge2.jpg
But when I contacted Steve he said the deck is gone and it is the power lines that make it look like it is still there. So he went out and snapped a picture for me. Still there is a lot of RR history in the area.
Yes, indeed, it's the East Jordan, Gaylord and Alpena RR ROW looking southwest along the now the Alpena Bike Trail, from the N Bagley Street crossing toward the Thunder Bay River, all in Alpena Township, Alpena County. Passenger train on that old rail line between East Jordan and Alpena through Gaylord and Atlanta, MI, was discontinued many many years ago.

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

railrod1949 wrote:
~Z~ wrote:
railrod1949 wrote:
Chippewa Hwy., aka US-31, over the old ROW of the former C&O Railway line, about two miles southwest of Kaleva midway between Traverse City and Manistee, looking south toward Manistee. Just south of Lyman Road, all in Brown Township, Manistee County. Final run of the remaining C&O Railway passenger trains 25/26 between Grand Rapids and Traverse City, was made on October 29, 1966. That trackage itself that formerly went under US-31, was ripped up after the local freight train which was the remaining freight train, made its final run on February 20, 1982.
Good work Rodney.
Webmaster

James Sofonia

Here is another railroad bridge later turned highway bridge.
Let's see how many minutes this one lasts :)
images2.jpg
images2.jpg (11.93 KiB) Viewed 1352 times
gi2.jpg

railrod1949
Railroadfan...fan

Pixl wrote:Here is another railroad bridge later turned highway bridge.
Let's see how many minutes this one lasts :)
images2.jpg
gi2.jpg
Gross Ile Toll bridge between Gross Ile and Trenton, MI crossing the channel of the Detroit River.

James Sofonia

railrod1949 wrote: Gross Ile Toll bridge between Gross Ile and Trenton, MI crossing the channel of the Detroit River.
Sorry Rodney, not that bridge.

railrod1949
Railroadfan...fan

Pixl wrote:
railrod1949 wrote: Gross Ile Toll bridge between Gross Ile and Trenton, MI crossing the channel of the Detroit River.
Sorry Rodney, not that bridge.
The other Grosse Ile Free Bridge on Grosse ILe Parkway. over the Detroit River between Trenton and Gtosse Ile. (the bottom one, not the top one).

James Sofonia

railrod1949 wrote: The other Grosse Ile Free Bridge on Grosse ILe Parkway. over the Detroit River between Trenton and Gtosse Ile. (the bottom one, not the top one).
I don't know what you mean by top or bottom bridge, but yes it is the Grosse Ile Free Bridge.I didn't see that the toll bridge ever had rails on it. But the free bridge did, check out the photo.

M.D.Bentley
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by M.D.Bentley »

The Canada Southern Bridge company and railroad. The old customs house on the island is a museum. Lot of RR and other info there.

railrod1949
Railroadfan...fan

Pixl wrote:
railrod1949 wrote: The other Grosse Ile Free Bridge on Grosse ILe Parkway. over the Detroit River between Trenton and Gtosse Ile. (the bottom one, not the top one).
I don't know what you mean by top or bottom bridge, but yes it is the Grosse Ile Free Bridge.I didn't see that the toll bridge ever had rails on it. But the free bridge did, check out the photo.
The Grosse Ile Free Bridge is the south bridge between Grosse Ile and Trenton and was a Canadian Southern RR bridge and is now a highway bridge. The Grosse Ile Toll bridge is the north bridge at the north end of that island (Grosse Ile) between Riverview and Grosse Ile. The old Canadian Southern RR depot is now the museum on the south end of the Grosse Ile island. Passenger train service on that railroad trackage was discontinued many, many years ago.

EWRice
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by EWRice »

Pixl wrote:

Alpena bridge2.jpg
Deck is definitely gone. When my wife and I were out there last labor day, there was about 1-2 feet of each piling sticking out of the water. They may have had a short steel span or such in the center so boats could go through. There are extra pilings there spread further apart than the rest that now have some LED lights so boats can find the gap at night. Very clear water when we were there. We could see to the bottom of each piling. Didn't find any goodies though.

DaveO
Read more, think more, post less

Unread post by DaveO »

Pixl wrote:
The bridge there now isn't the railroad bridge. If you compare the then and now pictures you will see they're different.
I always thought it was. One wiki article states that at least some of the old piers were incorporated as part of the new structure.
That's possible but when you look at what's under the new bridge, I think it was all new construction used except possibly the center swing pier.

I've driven a school bus across it several times. It's barely wide enough for 2 large vehicles to pass. I left rubber souvenirs the time the ratty dump truck wouldn't move to the right.

James Sofonia

Michael wrote:I found the remnants of this modest bridge looking for Pixl's location
Michael I fished around for a while for your bridge. The closest guess I can come up with is that most of the bridges that used stone as in your picture seem to be on the West side of Michigan.

Michael
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Michael »

Pixl wrote:
Michael wrote:I found the remnants of this modest bridge looking for Pixl's location
Michael I fished around for a while for your bridge. The closest guess I can come up with is that most of the bridges that used stone as in your picture seem to be on the West side of Michigan.
That is correct. It's along the old Air Line

railrod1949
Railroadfan...fan

Michael wrote:
Pixl wrote:
That is correct. It's along the old Air Line

More hints please on along the Air Line on the west side of Michigan. I know it's not Park Lane Blvd. in Cassopolis.. The shot above is looking south. It's must along the Air Line.

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

railrod1949 wrote:
Pixl wrote:

More hints please on along the Air Line on the west side of Michigan. I know it's not Park Lane Blvd. in Cassopolis.. The shot above is looking south. It's must along the Air Line.
Rodney, you were soooooooo close. I just pulled up a map, went to Cassopolis, and I see it's Lake Shore Dr in Cassopolis. Can't find a Park Lane in Cassopolis though...
Webmaster