Where Is It?

Posts that don't fit in the other train categories. Off Subject Chit Chat I tell you. :)
~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Re: Where Is It?

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Where be it? Taken from a Michigan highway as you can see. Another set of tracks in the distance is still used. Appears a bridge used to go across with the embankments on each side.
Attachments
wherebeit67.JPG
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

Michael
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Michael »

Good Job finding mine Rodney and Z.
Z,Yours is M-86 south of Three Rivers.
I saw that one yesterday :)

railrod1949
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by railrod1949 »

Found it! Got it! Thanks -Z-! It's looking south from Lake Shore Drive, underneath the old Air Line RR line which ran between Three Rivers (actually to and from Jackson) and Niles via Cassopolis until the section between Three Rivers and Niles was abandoned in 1943. That shot is just west of M-60 in Cassopolis, Cass County. Noticed there are three garbage cans belong to residence located on the south side of the ROW on the right (not visible) due to the garbage truck not fit throught the stone bridge under the old ROW.

railrod1949
Railroadfan...fan

~Z~ wrote:Where be it? Taken from a Michigan highway as you can see. Another set of tracks in the distance is still used. Appears a bridge used to go across with the embankments on each side.

Yes, indeed, It's M-86 westbound and northbound toward downtown Three Rivers. In the foreground was the ROW of the old connecting track between the connection with the ex LS&MS RR trackage (now Grand Elk RR) at the left (not visible) and the connection with the former Air Line RR at the right (not visible).. All in Lockport Township, south of Three Rivers, St. Joseph County. Passenger train service on both railroads Three Rivers was discontinued many, many years ago. Another set of tracks in the distance is the crossing with the GDLK RR main line.

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

railrod1949 wrote:
~Z~ wrote:Where be it? Taken from a Michigan highway as you can see. Another set of tracks in the distance is still used. Appears a bridge used to go across with the embankments on each side.

Yes, indeed, It's M-86 westbound and northbound toward downtown Three Rivers. In the foreground was the ROW of the old connecting track between the connection with the ex LS&MS RR trackage (now Grand Elk RR) at the left (not visible) and the connection with the former Air Line RR at the right (not visible).. All in Lockport Township, south of Three Rivers, St. Joseph County. Passenger train service on both railroads Three Rivers was discontinued many, many years ago. Another set of tracks in the distance is the crossing with the GDLK RR main line.
Good work Michael, too fast, but good work.
Webmaster

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Where be it? Relates to SW MI where Michael's been posting from recently, so Michael, shhhh for a day or so ok? :) Bridge no longer in use for RR activity.
Attachments
wherebeit68.JPG
Webmaster

railrod1949
Railroadfan...fan

~Z~ wrote:Where be it? Relates to SW MI where Michael's been posting from recently, so Michael, shhhh for a day or so ok? :) Bridge no longer in use for RR activity.

It's Nottawa, which is north of Sturgis, on the former GR&I RR, later the Pennsylvania RR. Just east of County Hwy. 139 and south of M-86 in Nottawa Township, St. Joseph County. Just west of M-66. The ROW of both the former Pennsy and the Air Line railroads crossed each others at Wasepi, north of Nottawa. Final run of the remaining passenger trains on the former Pennsylvania RR line was made on Tuesday morning, September 5, 1961 from Mackinaw City to Fort Wayne, IN. That old GR&I RR bridge in the above shot is over the Prairie River.
Last edited by railrod1949 on Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

railrod1949 wrote:
~Z~ wrote:Where be it? Relates to SW MI where Michael's been posting from recently, so Michael, shhhh for a day or so ok? :) Bridge no longer in use for RR activity.

It's Nottawa, which is north of Sturgis, on the former GR&I RR, later the Pennsylvania RR. Just east of County Hwy. 139 and south of M-86 in Nottawa Township, St. Joseph County. Just west of M-66. The ROW of both the former Pennsy and the Air Line railroads crossed each others at Wasepi, north of Nottawa. Final run of the remaining passenger trains on the former Pennsylvania RR line was made on Tuesday morning, September 5, 1961 from Mackinaw City to Fort Wayne, IN.
Good finding there Rodney.
Webmaster

Michael
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Michael »

This one might be tougher. I did a search and I don't think think this location has been posted before.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Corunna? HESR looking west?
Michael wrote:This one might be tougher. I did a search and I don't think think this location has been posted before.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Michael
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Michael »

I'd say Corunna is within about 40 miles of this location but its not on the HESR
AARR wrote:Corunna? HESR looking west?
Michael wrote:This one might be tougher. I did a search and I don't think think this location has been posted before.

railrod1949
Railroadfan...fan

Michael wrote:I'd say Corunna is within about 40 miles of this location but its not on the HESR
AARR wrote:Corunna? HESR looking west?

Bridgeport, on the SBS (Saginaw Bay Southern RR) looking south from the King Road crossing toward Bridgeport, Birch Run, Clio, Mt Morris and Flint. Just south of Saginaw in Bridgeport Township, Saginaw County. Final run of the remaining passenger train service on the former C&O Railway between Bay City, Saginaw and Detroit via Plymouth, was on October 29, 1950.

Michael
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Michael »

Good job Rodney. How about this easy one

DaveO
Read more, think more, post less

Unread post by DaveO »

Michael wrote:How about this easy one
Maybe the future will see the need for a second track there.

railrod1949
Railroadfan...fan

DaveO wrote:
It's the new Amtrak connection track bridge over Junction Street between the connection with the Amtrak/CN Short Line Sub and the connection with the Amtrak/Conrail SA main line at the West Detroit Junction in Detroit. The shot above is looking north. That new bridge was completed and first opened three years ago. Only Amtrak trains are now using the new connection. Trains 351, 353, 355 from Pontiac to Chicago and trains 350, 352 and 354 all from CHI to PNT are now using the new connection.
Last edited by railrod1949 on Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:26 am, edited 2 times in total.

Michael
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Michael »

You got it
railrod1949 wrote:
DaveO wrote:
It's the new Amtrak connection track bridge over Junction Street between the connection with the Amtrak/CN Short Line Sub and the connection with the Amtrak/Conrail SA main line at the West Detroit Junction in Detroit. The shot above is looking north. That new bridge was completed and first opened three years ago. Only Amtrak trains are now using the new connection. Trains 351, 353, 355 from Pontiac to Chicago and trains 350, 352 and 354 are now using the new connection.

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

The older bridge that was replaced at that NW wye at West Detroit was two track-widths wide and I'm sure had two tracks at one point. At least they were smart enough to put footings in the wall for a new 2nd track bridge in the future should they ever need one.....you never know!

M.D.Bentley
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by M.D.Bentley »

There was a second bridge installed ! But before they could put the track on it, the scrappers hauled it off to the scrap yard! True story ! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jochs
Iron Horse Whisperer

Unread post by Jochs »

Where it be?
cp2242.jpg
Jeff O.
Celebrating 11 years dial-up free!

(18:36:45) MagnumForce: Railfanning is way more fun when you stop caring about locomotives and signals
(19:11:29) cbehr91: I can't believe I'm +1ing Brent but +1

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Jochs wrote:Where it be?
cp2242.jpg
One can only guess Wisconsin? If so, please state it's not in Michigan when posting.
Webmaster