Where Is It?

Posts that don't fit in the other train categories. Off Subject Chit Chat I tell you. :)
PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Where Is It?

Unread post by PatAzo »

This might be easy. It's a bit dark but that was the way it was hand holding Kodachrome 64 on cloudy days.

railrod1949
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by railrod1949 »

[quote="PatAzo"]This might be easy. It's a bit dark but that was the way it was hand holding Kodachrome 64 on cloudy days.

Image[/quo
Last edited by railrod1949 on Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Buster Manning
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Buster Manning »

Howzibout Defiance, Ohio??

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PatAzo »

Buster Manning wrote:Howzibout Defiance, Ohio??
Howzibout Defiance. A short line I can't name crossing the CSX ex-B&O main.

railrod1949
Railroadfan...fan

PatAzo wrote:
Buster Manning wrote:Howzibout Defiance, Ohio??
Howzibout Defiance. A short line I can't name crossing the CSX ex-B&O main.

Yes, I remembered, it's Defiance, OH where the Maumee &Western RR short line (former NS Toledo-Fort Wayne RR trackage) crossing the CSX main line (former B&O RR) which run between Chicago and Willard, OH. Final run of the remaining old B&O RR passenger trains between Chicago and Washington, DC was made on April 30, 1971. The above shot is looking west with the Maumee & Western RR local train heading eastward. The CSX main line is now doubled tracks.

Buster Manning
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Buster Manning »

Indiana Hi-Rail was the name of the shortline.

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PatAzo »

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Is this in Kalamazoo. Possibly Arvco?
PatAzo wrote:Image
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

DaveO
Read more, think more, post less

Unread post by DaveO »

AARR wrote:Is this in Kalamazoo. Possibly Arvco?
That's odd, the building has a smoke stack just like the choo choo.

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PatAzo »

It is Arvco Container. The caboose in on the ex-GR&I which curves to the right to join the Kalamazoo Branch (ex-LS&MS). Back in the day Arvco was serviced directly from GWT rails which passed through the parking lot and crossed the Kalamazoo Branch just north of the GR&I.

railrod1949
Railroadfan...fan

PatAzo wrote:
It is Arvco Container. The caboose in on the ex-GR&I which curves to the right to join the Kalamazoo Branch (ex-LS&MS). Back in the day Arvco was serviced directly from GWT rails which passed through the parking lot and crossed the Kalamazoo Branch just north of the GR&I.

Yes, it's Arvco Container Corp. in Kalamazoo. Looking north along the former GR&I, later Pennsylvania RR from the Gibson Street crossing heading toward Grand Rapids. Final run of the remaining old Pennsylvania RR passenger train through Kalamazoo, between Fort Wayne, IN and Mackinaw City, was on September 1, 1961 northbound and September 5, 1961 southbound. It's was a summer months only passenger train.

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Where be it? Biking/walking trail is shown the left side of photo along the two-track.
Attachments
wherebeit91.JPG
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

Jetlink
Not a Railfan

Unread post by Jetlink »

Morley MI. On 3rd street facing east. The old GRI now White Pine trail goes to the north/left in the photo posted. Couple of clues that gave it away for me were the snowmobile trail markings on an unimproved rail trail; the real clue though was the tracks in the mud. They are Buggy tracks. I know from personal experience that trail is heavily used by the Amish in that area.
interested in trains

Patiently waiting for LansingRailfan to antagonize me in his tagline

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Jetlink wrote:Morley MI. On 3rd street facing east. The old GRI now White Pine trail goes to the north/left in the photo posted. Couple of clues that gave it away for me were the snowmobile trail markings on an unimproved rail trail; the real clue though was the tracks in the mud. They are Buggy tracks. I know from personal experience that trail is heavily used by the Amish in that area.
Thou art correct.
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

Jetlink
Not a Railfan

Unread post by Jetlink »

The answer to the GIF where is it: Amish Paradise, Weird Al Yankovic, featured on the Bad Hair Day Album. The initial release of this Album was March 12, 1996. Weird Al's zipcode and school district attended unknown.
interested in trains

Patiently waiting for LansingRailfan to antagonize me in his tagline

railrod1949
Railroadfan...fan

Jetlink wrote:Morley MI. On 3rd street facing east. The old GRI now White Pine trail goes to the north/left in the photo posted. Couple of clues that gave it away for me were the snowmobile trail markings on an unimproved rail trail; the real clue though was the tracks in the mud. They are Buggy tracks. I know from personal experience that trail is heavily used by the Amish in that area.

Yes, it's Morley, MI. On Third street looking east to the end at S. Main Street old US-131. The White Pine Trail at the left was the old GR&I RR, Pennsylvania RR. Final run of the remaining passenger train through Morley between ForT Wayne, IN and Mackinaw City, was made on September 2, 1961 northward and September 4, 1961 southward. It was the Northern Arrow, trains 519/520. In Morley, Mecosta County.
Last edited by railrod1949 on Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mark F
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Mark F »

Jetlink wrote:The answer to the GIF where is it: Amish Paradise, Weird Al Yankovic, featured on the Bad Hair Day Album. The initial release of this Album was March 12, 1996. Weird Al's zipcode and school district attended unknown.
Weird Al Yankovic graduated in 1975 from Lynwood High School in Lynwood, CA. He was the valedictorian. Lynwood's zip code is 90262.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

PatAzo wrote:
J T wrote:
PatAzo wrote:(the locomotive should give away the railroad)
For someone like me who doesn't have the ability to identify such things, can you explain how the locomotive gives away which railroad it is?
New York Central locomotives in the final decades had a particular look. Not as distinct as say the Pennsylvania but a general look. Air compressors up on the pilot deck with shields in front of them. The H10's had Elesco feed water heaters. If you look at the NYC H10' and then look at pictures of GTW 2-8-2's the GTW locomotives have what I would call a Canadian look. Subtle but there. If nothing else the engine number would help narrow down the search. Only so many midwest roads with 2-8-2's in the 2300 series.

http://www.railfanguides.us/in/griffith/index.htm

Scroll down this page to the second photo looking across the diamond. The view is north westerly. The Erie comes from the lower left and disappears to the center top. This is a bike trail now. The NYC is the single track line beyond the watchman's shanty. The GTW and EJ&E are the only tracks left.
Thanks for the info, Pat. :D
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

Jetlink wrote:The answer to the GIF where is it: Amish Paradise, Weird Al Yankovic, featured on the Bad Hair Day Album. The initial release of this Album was March 12, 1996. Weird Al's zipcode and school district attended unknown.
:lol:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PatAzo »

WAMX power with one well used GP35.

With a bit of detective work you should be able to locate this spot. This was shot from a public roadway. ....you haven't seen any of these on the GDLK.