Where Is It?

Posts that don't fit in the other train categories. Off Subject Chit Chat I tell you. :)
Michael
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Where Is It?

Unread post by Michael »

It looks like Featherstone Rd down by Constantine

Good job DaveO guessing the Island Lake State Park photo
I thought I read somewhere that the gravel mining company decided to mine elsewhere but I can't find that now.
~Z~ wrote:
Avnx wrote:
~Z~ wrote:I can at least confirm the photo on google says it's within the Island Lake State Recreation Area. Close enough :)

Where be this one? Where be it?
Grand Elk, south of Kalamazoo.
It is on Grand elk, south of Kzoo somewhere. I'll give it till tomorrow unless someone can guess earlier.

railrod1949
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by railrod1949 »

~Z~ wrote:
Avnx wrote:
~Z~ wrote:I can at least confirm the photo on google says it's within the Island Lake State Recreation Area. Close enough :)

Where be this one? Where be it?
Grand Elk, south of Kalamazoo.
It is on Grand elk, south of Kzoo somewhere. I'll give it till tomorrow unless someone can guess earlier.

Featherstone Road, NE of Constantine on the Grand Elk. in Constantine Township, St. Joseph County. Grand Elk RR was the former LS&MS RR, later NYCS that ran between Elkhart, IN and Grand Rapids. Passenger train service on that trackage between Elkhart and GR was discontinued many years ago.
Last edited by railrod1949 on Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Michael wrote:It looks like Featherstone Rd down by Constantine
Good work Avnx and Michael, it is Featherstone Rd just north of Constantine. I was down there getting this shot of Grand Elk heading south:
ImageGATX 2204 by ~Z ~, on Flickr
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

Michael
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Michael »

railrod1949
Railroadfan...fan

[quote="Michael"]Image[
Last edited by railrod1949 on Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Buster Manning
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Buster Manning »

Looks like the line that ends at Port Dolomite going over the intersection of N. Quarry Rd. and E. Swede Rd.

railrod1949
Railroadfan...fan

Buster Manning wrote:Looks like the line that ends at Port Dolomite going over the intersection of N. Quarry Rd. and E. Swede Rd.

yes, that's north of Port Dolomite at the overpass over E. Swede Road just east of N. Quarry Road in the da UP about 20 miles west of Detour and Drummond Island.

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hoborich »

Cedarville.
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".

Michael
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Michael »

Buster Manning wrote:Looks like the line that ends at Port Dolomite going over the intersection of N. Quarry Rd. and E. Swede Rd.

Michael
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Michael »

fmilhaupt
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by fmilhaupt »

That's looking south from Park St/Lynn Street crossing of the GLC in Ashley, with the Middleton branch heading off to the right.

...and if we were to take Google's bad stitching-together of the photo literally, the future site of a GLC train wreck...
-Fritz Milhaupt

James Sofonia
Grand Traverse Dinner Train 1996

Unread post by James Sofonia »

Michael wrote:Image
The disturbed soil in front of the hi-rail suggests there may have been a wye here at one time.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

I agree with fmilhaupt, Ashley.
Pixl wrote:The disturbed soil in front of the hi-rail suggests there may have been a wye here at one time.
I think you're correct Pixl about a wye being there but I can't recall details other than if there was a wye it was removed a very long time ago. 1940's or 50's perhaps.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Standard Railfan »

I looked at a 1916 topographic map. There was a small stub ended wye northwest of the switch.

http://legacy.lib.utexas.edu/maps/topo/ ... e-1916.jpg

My guess is that the wye was used to turn locomotives.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

There was a Wye, and remember that the Middleton Branch at one time was the original Grand Trunk mainline that went straight across the state from Muskegon to Saginaw if I remember right. It was one of 3 railroads that went straight across the state early on in Michigan's history.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

railrod1949
Railroadfan...fan

Pixl wrote:
Michael wrote:Image
The disturbed soil in front of the hi-rail suggests there may have been a wye here at one time.

Yes, definitely looking southeast from Park and Lynn streets crossing of the GLC in Ashley, Gratiot County. looking southeast along the former AA RR, now GLC RR, towards M-57. Final run of the remaining passenger train on the former AARR, between Toledo, OH and Frankfort/Boat Landing/Elberta, was made on July 19, 1950. The trackage to the right was the former GTW RR Greenville Sub to Greenville, now part of the GLC RR Middleton Branch that also cross US-127 at grade in Ola, just north of M-57.
Last edited by railrod1949 on Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

This segment went from Ashley to Muskegon. It connected with AA at Ashley.
O Scale Railfanner wrote:the Middleton Branch at one time was the original Grand Trunk mainline that went straight across the state from Muskegon to Saginaw
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Michael
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Michael »

Good job Fritz

Here is a topo map of Ashley from 1950 although I think it is just a reprint of the 1919 edition.
A 1970's era map shows the wye was no longer there

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

AARR wrote:This segment went from Ashley to Muskegon. It connected with AA at Ashley.
O Scale Railfanner wrote:the Middleton Branch at one time was the original Grand Trunk mainline that went straight across the state from Muskegon to Saginaw
Oh. I thought it was northern GT main.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

Michael
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Michael »