Where Is It?

Posts that don't fit in the other train categories. Off Subject Chit Chat I tell you. :)

Re: Where Is It?

Unread postby ~Z~ » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:31 am

railrod1949 wrote:
PatAzo wrote:In the Midwest but not the Chicago area.


Somewhere between Cheyenne and Laramie, WY on the original UP RR line.


Wyoming is definitely not what one would call the midwest of the united states. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midwestern_United_States
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com
User avatar
~Z~
Sofa King Admin
 
Posts: 10178
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 2:14 pm
Location: Grand Rapids, MI

Re: Where Is It?

Unread postby PatAzo » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:24 am

~Z~ wrote:
railrod1949 wrote:
PatAzo wrote:In the Midwest but not the Chicago area.


Somewhere between Cheyenne and Laramie, WY on the original UP RR line.


Wyoming is definitely not what one would call the midwest of the united states. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midwestern_United_States


The Midwest as defined by he Census Bureau in the map on Wikipedia.
PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 730
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:20 pm

Re: Where Is It?

Unread postby railrod1949 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:44 am

Holliday, KS on the BNSF between Kansas City and Topeka, KS in PatAzo's above shot.
railrod1949
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 660
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:19 am
Location: Waterford, MI

Re: Where Is It?

Unread postby PatAzo » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:53 am

Not Kansas. Think of places in the Midwest that would draw railfans at large to visit.
PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 730
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:20 pm

Re: Where Is It?

Unread postby DaveO » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:52 am

PatAzo wrote:Not Kansas. Think of places in the Midwest that would draw railfans at large to visit.


Delray! no wait maybe not.

Berea popped up as a potential guess but not enough height difference.
Cleveland has an area or two that might qualify except the part about drawing railfans at large to visit.
DaveO
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 149
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:57 pm
Location: Between here and there

Re: Where Is It?

Unread postby railrod1949 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:59 am

~Z~ wrote:Continuing with our "clearly not michigan" series, where be it?



Z's shot above shot taken from the NM Highway 52 crossing near Magdalena, NM looking west.
railrod1949
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 660
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:19 am
Location: Waterford, MI

Re: Where Is It?

Unread postby PatAzo » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:23 pm

DaveO wrote:
PatAzo wrote:Not Kansas. Think of places in the Midwest that would draw railfans at large to visit.


Delray! no wait maybe not.

Berea popped up as a potential guess but not enough height difference.
Cleveland has an area or two that might qualify except the part about drawing railfans at large to visit.


The photo spot itself isn't the attraction, but there is one very near here.

Not the Cleveland area. The U.P. units are on U.P. track.
PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 730
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:20 pm

Re: Where Is It?

Unread postby railrod1949 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:54 pm

PatAzo wrote:
DaveO wrote:
PatAzo wrote:Not Kansas. Think of places in the Midwest that would draw railfans at large to visit.


Delray! no wait maybe not.

Berea popped up as a potential guess but not enough height difference.
Cleveland has an area or two that might qualify except the part about drawing railfans at large to visit.


The photo spot itself isn't the attraction, but there is one very near here.

Not the Cleveland area. The U.P. units are on U.P. track.


In Illinois, Missouri, Arkansas, or Louisana. Or North Platte, NE at the Bailey Yard.
railrod1949
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 660
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:19 am
Location: Waterford, MI

Re: Where Is It?

Unread postby PatAzo » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:05 pm

Just giving away the state is boring. So nearby is what may be the largest number of ex-New York Central System locomotives in one setting. I've done only a cursory search but I believe it is so. Even if I'm wrong this ought to have you in the right locale.
PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 730
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:20 pm

Re: Where Is It?

Unread postby PatAzo » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:20 am

Track in the foreground is U.P. ex-Missouri Pacific. Track above is BNSF ex-Frisco.
PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 730
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:20 pm

Re: Where Is It?

Unread postby GreatLakesRailfan » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:09 am

PatAzo wrote:Track in the foreground is U.P. ex-Missouri Pacific. Track above is BNSF ex-Frisco.


It must be in Missouri then. Probably close to the Museum of Transportation (?) in the St. Louis area.
GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 4637
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:28 am
Location: Port Huron, Michigan

Re: Where Is It?

Unread postby PatAzo » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:19 am

The Google street view will put you up along the BNSF.
PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 730
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:20 pm

Re: Where Is It?

Unread postby railrod1949 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:43 pm

PatAzo wrote:The Google street view will put you up along the BNSF.


West of Big Bend Road, Valley Park, MO. About a couples miles west of the Museum of Transportation, St. Louis, MO.
railrod1949
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 660
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:19 am
Location: Waterford, MI

Re: Where Is It?

Unread postby PatAzo » Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:12 pm

Your there, Keyes Summit is the spot. It's an obscure spot. The U.P. crosses Big Bend on a bridge just west of the Museum of Transportation. Turn off Big Bend onto Quinette Rd. You'll come to a grade crossing on the BNSF. The picture is just down the bank shot from the north side of the U.P.

The Museum of transportation is home to NYC #2933 an L2d 4-8-2, Boston & Albany #39 4-4-0 and NYC #113 2-D-2. I think this is the largest group of NYC System locomotives in one spot.
PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 730
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:20 pm

Re: Where Is It?

Unread postby railrod1949 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:21 pm

PatAzo wrote:Your there, Keyes Summit is the spot. It's an obscure spot. The U.P. crosses Big Bend on a bridge just west of the Museum of Transportation. Turn off Big Bend onto Quinette Rd. You'll come to a grade crossing on the BNSF. The picture is just down the bank shot from the north side of the U.P.

The Museum of transportation is home to NYC #2933 an L2d 4-8-2, Boston & Albany #39 4-4-0 and NYC #113 2-D-2. I think this is the largest group of NYC System locomotives in one spot.


Yes, it's Keyes Summit, looking southwest from just west of Big bend Road in Valley Park, MO. Amtrak passenger trains nos. 311, 313 (westbound) and 314 and 316, All the Missouri Runner, run between St. Louis and Kansas City, MO on the UP ex Missouri Pacific through Keyes Summit. The Museum of Transportation can be seen on the right side of trains 311 and 313 running westbound and on the left side of trains 314 and 316 going eastbound. Final run of the remaining passenger trains, the Oklahoman, on the ex Frisco between St. Louis, MO and Oklahoma City, OK, was made on May 14, 1967.
railrod1949
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 660
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:19 am
Location: Waterford, MI

Re: Where Is It?

Unread postby Michael » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:54 pm

Back to Michigan. I believe this was a Interurban depot
Image
User avatar
Michael
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 6458
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:52 pm
Location: Plymouth, Michigan

Re: Where Is It?

Unread postby AARR » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:03 pm

My first guess is Algona
Michael wrote:Back to Michigan. I believe this was a Interurban depot
Image
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...
User avatar
AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd
 
Posts: 28934
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2004 8:39 pm
Location: Washington, MI

Re: Where Is It?

Unread postby Pixl » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:15 pm

Michael wrote:Back to Michigan. I believe this was a Interurban depot
Image


I see a spot in Wyandotte that could be it.
User avatar
Pixl
Grand Traverse Dinner Train 1996
 
Posts: 1537
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:56 pm
Location: Traverse City, Michigan

Re: Where Is It?

Unread postby Michael » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:41 pm

AARR was pretty close with his guess of Algonac. That is what you meant right?
User avatar
Michael
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 6458
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:52 pm
Location: Plymouth, Michigan

Re: Where Is It?

Unread postby AARR » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:13 pm

Yes, Algonac is what I meant :lol:

If it isn't Algonac my next guess is New Baltimore.
Michael wrote:AARR was pretty close with his guess of Algonac. That is what you meant right?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...
User avatar
AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd
 
Posts: 28934
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2004 8:39 pm
Location: Washington, MI

PreviousNext

Return to Chit Chat Babble Room

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

x