Where Is It?

Posts that don't fit in the other train categories. Off Subject Chit Chat I tell you. :)
AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: Where Is It?

Unread post by AARR »

Is it in SE GR?
~Z~ wrote:Where be it?
http://i.imgur.com/ywsmWtO.jpg
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

AARR wrote:Is it in SE GR?
Not in the SE quadrant of GR, no. The street view from June 2011 had far more brush and trees, making it harder to see the rail laying here.
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

railrod1949
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by railrod1949 »

~Z~ wrote:
AARR wrote:Is it in SE GR?
Not in the SE quadrant of GR, no. The street view from June 2011 had far more brush and trees, making it harder to see the rail laying here.
It's the old siding off the CSX , GDLK or the Marquette Rail?

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

railrod1949 wrote:It's the old siding off the CSX , GDLK or the Marquette Rail?
It is a spur off of one of those railroads, since those are the three main railroads in town :) Word has it this spur used to connect what is now two of the railroads you mentioned above.
Webmaster

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Just off of HugHart. Road begins with a T, like Tower St. or something. Tracks once went towards Seymour in the other direction and connected with the C&O.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

railrod1949
Railroadfan...fan

MQT1223 wrote:Just off of Hughart. Road begins with a T, like Tower St. or something. Tracks once went towards Seymour in the other direction and connected with the C&O.
Got it! Just west of Steele Avenue SW looking west toward the GDLK RR Hughart Yard. It was the old connecting track that ran between Hughart Yard and the CSX Main line at Seymour. All in Grand Rapids. The building on the right is the Arkema Coating Resins. In the Grand Rapids Public Schools district, Kent County. Its have a Grand Rapids, MI 49507 address. Judging by a bungalow with its door wide opened on the right, there was standard crossing signals or the cantilever (overhead) crossing signals at that Steele Avenue, SW crossing.
Last edited by railrod1949 on Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:21 am, edited 3 times in total.

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

railrod1949 wrote:
MQT1223 wrote:Just off of HugHart. Road begins with a T, like Tower St. or something. Tracks once went towards Seymour in the other direction and connected with the C&O.
Got it! Just west of Steele Avenue SW looking west toward the GDLK RR Hugart Yard. It was the old connecting track that ran between HugHart Yard and the CSX Main line at Seymour.
Ding, correct, and corrected yours and MQT1223's spelling to HugHart.
Webmaster

Jochs
Iron Horse Whisperer

Unread post by Jochs »

Where is it? This is not in Michigan, but in a state that borders MI.
Attachments
bluff.jpg
Jeff O.
Celebrating 11 years dial-up free!

(18:36:45) MagnumForce: Railfanning is way more fun when you stop caring about locomotives and signals
(19:11:29) cbehr91: I can't believe I'm +1ing Brent but +1

railrod1949
Railroadfan...fan

Jochs wrote:Where is it? This is not in Michigan, but in a state that borders MI.
Indiana, Ohio or Wisconsin?

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

Jochs' looks like southern Indiana, possibly the LIRC?
~ Charles W.

James Sofonia
Grand Traverse Dinner Train 1996

Unread post by James Sofonia »

Grandad Bluff near La Crosse Wisconsin.

Michael
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Michael »

Impressive Pixl
Pixl wrote:Grandad Bluff near La Crosse Wisconsin.

James Sofonia

Michael wrote:Impressive Pixl
Thanks. Something made me think Wisconsin and reminded me of the area around Wisconsin Dells. I was on Google Earth for about 10 minutes and there it was. A lot more fun when there is a find able landmark in the picture.

Jochs
Iron Horse Whisperer

Unread post by Jochs »

Don't be too impressed, it's not in Lacrosse, WI. :lol:

It is in Wisconsin, though.

This area is not near the Mississippi River. It is an area that was once a large lake, and the bluffs were originally islands in that glacial lake.

This is in the general region of the original photo, which is taken along the CP line.
cliffs.jpg
Here is a train near the bluff in the original photo. The bluffs are not along the Mississippi River, but rising out of a relatively flat plain. It is meeting a westbound train in a passing siding. I had seen that westbound earlier that day in Duplainville.
cpbluff.jpg
Jeff O.

(18:36:45) MagnumForce: Railfanning is way more fun when you stop caring about locomotives and signals

railrod1949
Railroadfan...fan

Jochs wrote:
Don't be too impressed, it's not in Lacrosse, WI. :lol:

It is in Wisconsin, though.

This area is not near the Mississippi River. It is an area that was once a large lake, and the bluffs were originally islands in that glacial lake.

This is in the general region of the original photo, which is taken along the CP line.
cliffs.jpg
Here is a train near the bluff in the original photo. The bluffs are not along the Mississippi River, but rising out of a relatively flat plain. It is meeting a westbound train in a passing siding. I had seen that westbound earlier that day in Duplainville.
cpbluff.jpg
Camp Douglas, WI at the N. Washington Street crossing with the CP Tomah Sub/Amtrak Line at MP 227.21, Midway between La Crosse and Wisconsin Dells. Camp Douglas is not a Amtrak stop. Camp Douglas is located in the Tomah Area Schools district, Juneau County, WI. Nearest Amtrak stops to Camp Douglas are in Tomah, north of the pictured town and in Wisconsin Dells, south of the pictured town. The bottom shot is looking south along the CN Tomah Sub on the left and US-12 on the right. Amtrak Train #8, the Empire Builder is due to pass through Camp Douglas at about 11:58 am CDT today on its way to Chicago 27 minutes late. Westbound Amtrak train#7, the Empire Builder, is due to pass through that town at about 6:17 pm CDT tonight on its way to St. Paul, MN and Seattle, WA. Its have a Camp Douglas, WI 54660 address. Only Milwaukee Road RR passenger trains that stop in Camp Douglas, was trains 55 and 58 that ran between Minneapolis and Chicago until 1957 when those passenger trains was discontinued.
Last edited by railrod1949 on Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Jochs
Iron Horse Whisperer

Unread post by Jochs »

And we have a winner! Camp Douglas, Wisconsin.

For those who like to follow google earth maps, the road to the right of the CP train is US 12.
The original photo was taken at a crossing at Milepost 227.21, near the Camp Douglas Public Works building at 102 Washburn.
Jeff O.

James Sofonia

Jochs wrote: Don't be too impressed, it's not in Lacrosse, WI. :lol:
Ohh! The agony of defeat :(

Michael
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Michael »

Very impressive Rodney :D

ConrailDetr​oit
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ConrailDetr​oit »

ImageIMG_0847 by tcamp7837, on Flickr

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Looks a little like the area being rebuilt where the old Chrysler plant was in Hamtramck. New industries coming in but none that get rail service :(
ConrailDetr​oit wrote:ImageIMG_0847 by tcamp7837, on Flickr
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...