Where Is It?

Posts that don't fit in the other train categories. Off Subject Chit Chat I tell you. :)
railrod1949
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Where Is It?

Unread post by railrod1949 »

PatAzo wrote:Not Millington, wrong side of the state. If you're scouring satellite images the creek the bridges cross is there but shrouded in trees.

I suspect the Grand Rapids posse have all past this spot.
On the LSRC, HESR or on the CN?

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PatAzo »

railrod1949 wrote:
PatAzo wrote:Not Millington, wrong side of the state. If you're scouring satellite images the creek the bridges cross is there but shrouded in trees.

Still the wrong side of the state. Go west...

railrod1949
Railroadfan...fan

PatAzo wrote:
railrod1949 wrote:

Still the wrong side of the state. Go west...
Bellevue on the CN Flint Sub and M-78 to the right.

Michael
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Michael »

I like this one. It really requires imagination. Is it in Muskegon?

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PatAzo »

railrod1949 wrote:
Bellevue is a pretty good guess but not it.

railrod1949
Railroadfan...fan

PatAzo wrote:
railrod1949 wrote:
It is on the Marquette Rai ort on the Michigan Shore RR. it is in Grant on M-37 or it is along M-37, M-50?
Last edited by railrod1949 on Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

James Sofonia
Grand Traverse Dinner Train 1996

Unread post by James Sofonia »

Michael wrote: Somewhere right in that area was an old Drive-in Movie theater
http://www.waterwinterwonderland.com/dr ... 102&type=1
Michael you are correct and your link to old pictures of the drive in are great. I had been there many times in the 70's as the theater was near my home. One night a car hit the power pole outside the theater, we saw the sparks fly then the screen went dark. They gave everybody a refund with out a hassle.
Mt. Hope rd. uses the South entrance to the drive in, but continues over sacred ground to a never built sub division. Check it out some day.
Attachments
acme.jpg

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PatAzo »

railrod1949 wrote:
PatAzo wrote:
railrod1949 wrote:
It is on the Marquette Rai ort on the Michigan Shore RR. it is in Grant on M-37 or it is along M-37, M-50?
Not Grant but you're on the right track. . Here's a visual clue. This is the building the bridges were shot from. It's still there. It's an interesting collection of cars too.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

PatAzo wrote:A step back in time to I think 1913. The track is there today and in daily use. The bridges have been replace with culverts. The depot is gone. The building who's roof this was shot from is still there.

Newaygo!!!

Your hint totally gave it away to me. Didn't even recognize this old creek, the M-37 highway projects totally buried it and it looks like the railroad followed suit. Wow, great photo. But yeah the hills and the turn in the street make 100% sense once you know where the hell that is. Plus the depot, which I've seen a few photos of before it was destroyed (in a fire?). Funny how even today, that's pretty much right where the turnout to the grain elevator tracks are. IIRC back in the day it was a major sawmill/lumber facility.

Thanks to Z for letting me know you'd pinged me. I generally ignore this thread, it's a bit spammy for me, since I can't turn off notifications for each photo I have no clue about or don't care to find. I've always said we should have a forum where each photo is its own thread, but I digress.

At any rate, loved the historical image to play with...I'd be up for more of those.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

railrod1949
Railroadfan...fan

Saturnalia wrote:
PatAzo wrote:A step back in time to I think 1913. The track is there today and in daily use. The bridges have been replace with culverts. The depot is gone. The building who's roof this was shot from is still there.

Newaygo!!!

Your hint totally gave it away to me. Didn't even recognize this old creek, the M-37 highway projects totally buried it and it looks like the railroad followed suit. Wow, great photo. But yeah the hills and the turn in the street make 100% sense once you know where the hell that is. Plus the depot, which I've seen a few photos of before it was destroyed (in a fire?). Funny how even today, that's pretty much right where the turnout to the grain elevator tracks are. IIRC back in the day it was a major sawmill/lumber facility.

Thanks to Z for letting me know you'd pinged me. I generally ignore this thread, it's a bit spammy for me, since I can't turn off notifications for each photo I have no clue about or don't care to find. I've always said we should have a forum where each photo is its own thread, but I digress.

At any rate, loved the historical image to play with...I'd be up for more of those.

I agreed, that building in the first shot is now the Sand Mold Systems, Inc., 313 State Road (M-37), Newaygo, MI 49337. That bottom photo is looking north on now M-37 and now Marquette Rail. Muskegon River can be seen behind that building in the top photo. All in Newaygo, Newaygo County. The final remaining old C&O Railway passenger train with stop in Newaygo ( depot was appeared in that bottom shot) that ran between Grand Rapids and Traverse City, was made 51 years ago this coming the 29th of this month.

ConrailDetr​oit
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ConrailDetr​oit »

ImageIMG_0513 by tcamp7837, on Flickr

railrod1949
Railroadfan...fan

ConrailDetr​oit wrote:ImageIMG_0513 by tcamp7837, on Flickr
Is it on Conrail Share Assets between Milwaukee Junction and Delray in Detroit?

ConrailDetr​oit
Railroadfan...fan

Not Conrail track, it is between Delray and Milwaukee Jct.

railrod1949
Railroadfan...fan

ConrailDetr​oit wrote:Not Conrail track, it is between Delray and Milwaukee Jct.

It is at the northeast corner of Lincoln Street and the CN Shoreline Sub/Amtrak line, Detroit, Wayne County. Across the street from Lincoln Street Art Park

ConrailDetr​oit
Railroadfan...fan

Correct. At the Lincoln St Art Park.

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hoborich »

A couple artists spend a lot of time there. :lol:
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".

James Sofonia

hoborich wrote:A couple artists spend a lot of time there. :lol:
Artists? Yea right. More like vandals defacing public property, rail cars, etc. Not my cup of tea.

ConrailDetr​oit
Railroadfan...fan

Pixl wrote:
hoborich wrote:A couple artists spend a lot of time there. :lol:
Artists? Yea right. More like vandals defacing public property, rail cars, etc. Not my cup of tea.
As far as private property, the CN Milepost 54 on the Shoreline Sub was defaced by the artists as seen in the photo. The sides of the rails were defaced by the artists. The art park and liberal culture of the area does not find spray painting the structures as deviant but CN may think otherwise as far as the trespassing and vandalism that happens on their property.

ConrailDetr​oit
Railroadfan...fan

ImageIMG_0460 by tcamp7837, on Flickr

James Sofonia

Dam Conrail, another location I will not find even though that lens on your camera puts out some crisp photos.