Where Is It?

Posts that don't fit in the other train categories. Off Subject Chit Chat I tell you. :)
railrod1949
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Where Is It?

Unread post by railrod1949 »

Pixl wrote:
railrod1949 wrote: CN (Canadian National) RR(nee C&NW RR) bridge over the Menominee River between Meonominee, MI and Marinette, WI.
over the Menominee River is correct, but not that area.
Canadian National RR (nee Soo Line RR) over that same river between Faithhorn, MI and Kremlin , WI

DaveO
Read more, think more, post less

Unread post by DaveO »

Pixl wrote:This one is in Michigan, sort of.
Given the Lifetime TV tag, I'm guessing the image is related to the Kingsford Bridge murders.

But that is not the Kingsford Bridge.

It doesn't appear to match any of the bridges over the Menominee River.

So I wait to see what I missed.

James Sofonia
Grand Traverse Dinner Train 1996

Unread post by James Sofonia »

Dave, you are so close with your observations. I had to take a tv shot of this fairly unknown bridge as I couldn't find it anywhere even on bridge finder. The railroads stopped using it some time ago but it is still usable and intact for now. A nice mystery I stumbled across, fun for all of us.

Michael
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Michael »

It's a good one Pixl.
Did anyone mention the abandoned Chicago and Northwestern grade north of Iron Mountain?
There is a bridge and snowmobile trail although it doesn't really look like your bridge
https://goo.gl/maps/94HWcLUEyT52

James Sofonia

Well you too are close, look a bit further South. I'll give it up after a few more guesses. If wassn't for the tv show I woulnd't have known.

railrod1949
Railroadfan...fan

Pixl wrote:Dave, you are so close with your observations. I had to take a tv shot of this fairly unknown bridge as I couldn't find it anywhere even on bridge finder. The railroads stopped using it some time ago but it is still usable and intact for now. A nice mystery I stumbled across, fun for all of us.
CN RR (formerly the Soo Line) bridge over the Menominee River between Faithhorn, MI in the da UP and Kremlin, WI.

DaveO

Unread post by DaveO »

Pixl wrote:Well you too are close, look a bit further South. I'll give it up after a few more guesses. If wassn't for the tv show I woulnd't have known.
Can't be the Niagara Bridge because it's a through truss. The bridge in the TV program is(or was) a double track deck truss.

The TV program is "I Survived", the episode is "Dorothy; Jim; Bud and Katrina". Season 5 Episode 23 but also known with other seasons/episodes(confusing!) to identify the show.

I watched it on youtube.

The location videos are basically what is known as stock footage. The only real thing were the people that were interviewed in a studio somewhere.

So I'm really curious to see what bridge Pixl thinks this was.

James Sofonia

DaveO wrote: Given the Lifetime TV tag, I'm guessing the image is related to the Kingsford Bridge murders.

But that is not the Kingsford Bridge.

It doesn't appear to match any of the bridges over the Menominee River.

So I wait to see what I missed.
Dave,
You are right about the murders there, but maybe a different story as I saw it. This bridge seems to have escaped most publicly but is actually there. It can be seen with Google Earth, but no street view. Kinda why I thought this might be a good challenge.

Schteinkuh
Railcam Terrorizer

Unread post by Schteinkuh »

My brother wants to know where his friend was. I thought it was Shultz St. on the MQT. But the whistle post and lack of overhead shurbbery make me question my assumption
Attachments
7123.jpeg
According to all known laws of aviation, there is no way a bee should be able to fly. Its wings are too small to get its fat little body off the ground. The bee, of course, flies anyway because bees don't care what humans think is impossible.

James Sofonia

DaveO wrote: Can't be the Niagara Bridge because it's a through truss. The bridge in the TV program is(or was) a double track deck truss.

The TV program is "I Survived", the episode is "Dorothy; Jim; Bud and Katrina". Season 5 Episode 23 but also known with other seasons/episodes(confusing!) to identify the show.

I watched it on youtube.

The location videos are basically what is known as stock footage. The only real thing were the people that were interviewed in a studio somewhere.

You are right on the tv show and episode, good work. If you watch it again near the begining, they briefly, and I mean very brifly tag the location as Niagara Wi. Could be wrong as tv people do often, but take a look at Niagara Wi on Google Earth. There is a railroad bridge across the river there.

DaveO

Unread post by DaveO »

Pixl wrote:
DaveO wrote: Can't be the Niagara Bridge because it's a through truss. The bridge in the TV program is(or was) a double track deck truss.

I watched it on youtube.

You are right on the tv show and episode, good work. If you watch it again near the begining, they briefly, and I mean very brifly tag the location as Niagara Wi. Could be wrong as tv people do often, but take a look at Niagara Wi on Google Earth. There is a railroad bridge across the river there.
There are 2 bridges around Niagara. There is one in town that served the paper mill. It's a through truss. The other is known as the Kingsford Bridge. That is pictured below. You can see this bridge is pretty unique in construction. The murders actually occurred on the other (Wisconsin) side where the mailing address is Niagara.

James Sofonia

DaveO wrote: There are 2 bridges around Niagara. There is one in town that served the paper mill. It's a through truss. The other is known as the Kingsford Bridge. That is pictured below. You can see this bridge is pretty unique in construction. The murders actually occurred on the other (Wisconsin) side where the mailing address is Niagara.

Thanks Dave. Woulnd't be the first time tv people led me astray on the facts. But made an interesting story.
Jim

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Where be it? ROW went right through between this building and the parking lot for its employees:
Attachments
wherebeit66.JPG
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

Schteinkuh
Railcam Terrorizer

Unread post by Schteinkuh »

~Z~ wrote:Where be it? ROW went right through between this building and the parking lot for its employees:
Old LSMS by GVSU in Grand Rapids
According to all known laws of aviation, there is no way a bee should be able to fly. Its wings are too small to get its fat little body off the ground. The bee, of course, flies anyway because bees don't care what humans think is impossible.

railrod1949
Railroadfan...fan

R3DZ0N3 wrote:
~Z~ wrote:Where be it? ROW went right through between this building and the parking lot for its employees:
Old LSMS by GVSU in Grand Rapids
Indeed,it's the old LSMS RR looking south from the Watson Street SW crossing just a block south of the Grand Valley State University Pew Campus in Grand Rapids, Kent County. Old LSMS ran between Elkhart, IN and Grand Rapids. Passenger train service was discontinued many, many years ago.

Michael
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Michael »

Bridge over abandoned ROW

railrod1949
Railroadfan...fan

Michael wrote:Bridge over abandoned ROW

M-66 over the abandoned ROW of the old New York Central RR Air line branch, west of Colon, just north of the jog with M-86, looking west toward Three Rivers. In Nottawa Township on the west and Colon Township on the east side of M-66, both in St. Joseph County. Passenger train service on the old New York Central RR Air line branch line between Jackson and three Rivers, was discontinued many, many years. That trackage itself was abandoned 36 years ago.

ConrailDetr​oit
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ConrailDetr​oit »

ImageIMG_0784 by tcamp7837, on Flickr

railrod1949
Railroadfan...fan

ConrailDetr​oit wrote:ImageIMG_0784 by tcamp7837, on Flickr
Somewhere at the NS Livernois Yard, Detroit. West of the NS Detroit Line between Vernor Highway and Livernois Avenue.

M.D.Bentley
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by M.D.Bentley »

railrod1949 wrote:
ConrailDetr​oit wrote:ImageIMG_0784 by tcamp7837, on Flickr
Somewhere at the NS Livernois Yard, Detroit. West of the NS Detroit Line between Vernor Highway and Livernois Avenue.
NAW ! Not that much curve there. And the trees are all wrong.