Where Is It?

Posts that don't fit in the other train categories. Off Subject Chit Chat I tell you. :)
railrod1949
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Where Is It?

Unread post by railrod1949 »

~Z~ wrote:Ahahha nice, found it. Didn't recognize the spot at first as I've only biked this trail at night time. Your photo is looking northwest on M-37 on the south side of Caledonia. I did bike this grass section one evening while coming back from Barry Co where this trail currently ends.

Yes, it's at the south village limit of Caledonia, in Caledonia Township, Kent County, looking northwest on M-37 along the former Michigan Central RR Grand Rapids branch that ran between Grand Rapids and Jackson. Final run of the remaining old NYC passenger train between GR and Jackson with stop in Caledonia and Middleville was made on April 25, 1959. It was the Beeliner RDC trains 388/389. The shot above is just south of 1000th Street SE.
Last edited by railrod1949 on Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:22 am, edited 2 times in total.

Michael
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Michael »

Good job Z and thanks for the extra info Rodney

Michael
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Michael »

Also in SW Michigan

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Michael wrote:Also in SW Michigan
745 Enterprise Way in Benton Harbor MI. This is a spur off of CSX on the north end of town.
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

railrod1949
Railroadfan...fan

~Z~ wrote:
Michael wrote:Also in SW Michigan
745 Enterprise Way in Benton Harbor MI. This is a spur off of CSX on the north end of town.

Yes, its Wave Dry Wall Suppies store warehouse at 745 Enterprise Way in Benton Harbor, MI on the north side of Benton Harbor in Berrien County. It's on north side of Enterprise way west off Paw Paw Avenue. The spur is off the connection with CSX RR/Amtrak Line Grand Rapids Sub. The last time the CSX Grand Rapids local D700 served this rail customer was many years ago.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

~Z~ wrote:Good work RailRod. Here's another.. it's on a Michigan highway, so M-xx road. This Michigan highway ends into another Michigan highway about 1/3 mile to the east of this spot. The railroad that crossed here has been long gone.
Whoa...just checked out this location via google street view and here's how it looks for me. That's much different from the street view you posted. Did they just update it??
Screen Shot 2018-12-11 at 2.29.35 PM.jpg
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

railrod1949 wrote:[
Got it! M-44 near Orleans east of Hoppouch Road which is between M-66 and Belding. The old Pere Marquette RR ROW was between Haynor northwest of Ionia and south of Stanton. That trackage was abandoned in 1933. This shot is looking westbound along M-44 towards US-131. In Orleans Township, Ionia County.
I found myself walking along a section of this ROW back in 2015. This is just north of Jenks Rd (looking south toward Jenks), about 3.5 miles north of Zach's street view shot.
PMROWJenks.jpg
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

J T wrote:
~Z~ wrote:Good work RailRod. Here's another.. it's on a Michigan highway, so M-xx road. This Michigan highway ends into another Michigan highway about 1/3 mile to the east of this spot. The railroad that crossed here has been long gone.
Whoa...just checked out this location via google street view and here's how it looks for me. That's much different from the street view you posted. Did they just update it??
Screen Shot 2018-12-11 at 2.29.35 PM.jpg
Looks like yes, they did just update it. When I posted, the most current was the 2015 shot. On Google Maps street view, you can click the Watch icon and see the other photos they took here. 2018, 2015, 2009, 2008, and 2007.
Webmaster

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PatAzo »

Where was it 1948. Three railroads are in this view. The line fore ground, the line the train is on (the locomotive should give away the railroad) and third is just beyond the watchman's shanty almost invisible as it is crossing through the street at grade. I am sure many of you have been here. It is not in the Detroit area...not even nearby.

railrod1949
Railroadfan...fan

PatAzo wrote:Where was it 1948. Three railroads are in this view. The line fore ground, the line the train is on (the locomotive should give away the railroad) and third is just beyond the watchman's shanty almost invisible as it is crossing through the street at grade. I am sure many of you have been here. It is not in the Detroit area...not even nearby.

Griffith, IN?

DaveO
Read more, think more, post less

Unread post by DaveO »

PatAzo wrote:Where was it 1948. Three railroads are in this view. The line fore ground, the line the train is on (the locomotive should give away the railroad) and third is just beyond the watchman's shanty almost invisible as it is crossing through the street at grade. I am sure many of you have been here. It is not in the Detroit area...not even nearby.
Willow Creek Junction

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PatAzo »

Griffith IN. The train is NJ-2 running from Niles to Joliet. The NYC/MC line paralleled the EJ&E through Griffith which is off to the right. The locomotive is starting across the GTW. The Erie is on the far side of the watchman's shanty.

railrod1949
Railroadfan...fan

PatAzo wrote:Griffith IN. The train is NJ-2 running from Niles to Joliet. The NYC/MC line paralleled the EJ&E through Griffith which is off to the right. The locomotive is starting across the GTW. The Erie is on the far side of the watchman's shanty.

Yes, indeed, Griffith, Lake County, IN. The shot above is looking northeast toward Gary, IN. The MC freight train from Niles, MI is westward to Joliet, IL. Been to Griffitn a few times. The train is crossing Broad Street where the road crossing guy standing with a stop sign, and the old GTW. Old remaining GTW passenger trains 158/159 and 154/155 between Chicago and Port Huron and GTW passenger trains 164/165 between Chicago and Detroit, all made its final runs April 30, 1971. Old remaining Erie Lackawanna passenger trains 5/6 between Choicago and Hoboken, NJ made its final runs January 4 and 5, 1970.

Jetlink
Not a Railfan

Unread post by Jetlink »

I have indeed been there. Sure doesn’t look like that today. Didn’t recognize it.
interested in trains

Patiently waiting for LansingRailfan to antagonize me in his tagline

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

PatAzo wrote:(the locomotive should give away the railroad)
For someone like me who doesn't have the ability to identify such things, can you explain how the locomotive gives away which railroad it is?

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PatAzo »

J T wrote:
PatAzo wrote:(the locomotive should give away the railroad)
For someone like me who doesn't have the ability to identify such things, can you explain how the locomotive gives away which railroad it is?
New York Central locomotives in the final decades had a particular look. Not as distinct as say the Pennsylvania but a general look. Air compressors up on the pilot deck with shields in front of them. The H10's had Elesco feed water heaters. If you look at the NYC H10' and then look at pictures of GTW 2-8-2's the GTW locomotives have what I would call a Canadian look. Subtle but there. If nothing else the engine number would help narrow down the search. Only so many midwest roads with 2-8-2's in the 2300 series.

http://www.railfanguides.us/in/griffith/index.htm

Scroll down this page to the second photo looking across the diamond. The view is north westerly. The Erie comes from the lower left and disappears to the center top. This is a bike trail now. The NYC is the single track line beyond the watchman's shanty. The GTW and EJ&E are the only tracks left.

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Just as a side question relating to JT's, and perhaps what he was even thinking: did railroads back in the steam days use locomotives from other railroads, doing things like horsepower payback? If I see a photo of a BNSF engine here in Michigan, it could be on CSX, NS, CN, or other railroads and doesn't automatically mean it's on BNSF trackage here. Just trying to apply that logic to the older photos.
Webmaster

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

~Z~ wrote:Just as a side question relating to JT's, and perhaps what he was even thinking: did railroads back in the steam days use locomotives from other railroads, doing things like horsepower payback? If I see a photo of a BNSF engine here in Michigan, it could be on CSX, NS, CN, or other railroads and doesn't automatically mean it's on BNSF trackage here. Just trying to apply that logic to the older photos.
Typically, no. Run-through power only began in the late 70s, and wasn't really all that common until the late 80s and early 90s. However, railroads would sometimes lease locomotives from each other in the steam era. Notable examples would the PRR leasing 2-10-4s from the Santa Fe and 4-8-4s from the Reading in the late 1950's, and GTW leasing 4-8-4s from the Burlington around the same time. However, those examples would be the exception to the norm.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Frequently Ann Arbor's parent companies (WAB and later DT&I) would lease/operate their engines and assign their cars to the AA even in the steam days. But as SD80 pointed out these were not run through power but short/long-term lease arrangements.
SD80MAC wrote:Typically, no. Run-through power only began in the late 70s, and wasn't really all that common until the late 80s and early 90s. However, railroads would sometimes lease locomotives from each other in the steam era. Notable examples would the PRR leasing 2-10-4s from the Santa Fe and 4-8-4s from the Reading in the late 1950's, and GTW leasing 4-8-4s from the Burlington around the same time. However, those examples would be the exception to the norm.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Standard Railfan »

Growing up in Mt. Pleasant in the 1960s it was rare to see Ann Arbor locomotives on Ann Arbor trains, DT&I power was the norm.

I have seen photos of Bangor and Aroostock diesels on lease to the PRR IN THE 1960s.