Where Is It?

Posts that don't fit in the other train categories. Off Subject Chit Chat I tell you. :)
railrod1949
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Where Is It?

Unread post by railrod1949 »

blueheron13 wrote:Yes, Michael & ConrailDetroit. The southernmost remaining tracks along the Dequindre Cut, a little south of Mack (where the DCON crossing has been paved over).

Yes, indeed, that's the old DCON spurs. The southernmost remaining tracks along the Dequindre Cut, looking north in the first shot! It was part of the old GTW RR ROW that ran between Detroit Brush Street Station and Durand. The current southernmost end of the DCON is at a little south of Mack Avenue in Detroit, Wayne County. The final remaining passenger trains on the old GTW RR Holly Sub were actually the SEMTA commuter trains between Detroit Ren Cen and Pontiac, was made on October 17, 1983.

Michael
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Michael »

Anyone know where this one is at?
same location a few years later

DaveO
Read more, think more, post less

Unread post by DaveO »

Michael wrote:Anyone know where this one is at?
Is there anyone here that doesn't :wink:

railrod1949
Railroadfan...fan

DaveO wrote:
Easiest one!! Isbell Street, looking east, crossing the ex LS&MS line, now the JAIl RR old NYC South spur, between S. Washington Avenue and S. Cedar Street, Lansing.Ingham County. Quality Dairy and the Reid Machinery are the remaining rail customers on that spur. Final run of the remaining passenger trains 64/65 on the old LS&MS RR Lansing Branch (old NYC South) between North Lansing and Hillsdale, was made in 1934.
Last edited by railrod1949 on Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

For some reason I'm thinking Lansing? If I'm wrong, add me to one of many in DaveO's question situation.
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

DaveO
Read more, think more, post less

Unread post by DaveO »

~Z~ wrote:For some reason I'm thinking Lansing? If I'm wrong, add me to one of many in DaveO's question situation.
Looks like you're not just one of the mere mortals :lol:

How about some wig-wag action @ Isbell street?
edit: add that it starts at 1:35

Hogger1225
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Hogger1225 »

railrod1949 wrote:
DaveO wrote:
Easiest one!! Isabell Street, looking east, crossing the ex LS&MS line, now the JAIl RR old NYC South spur, between S. Washington Avenue and S. Cedar Street, Lansing.Ingham County. Quality Dairy and the Reid Machinery are the remaining rail customers on that spur.
Sorry to be a stickler Rodney but the name of the street is "Isbell" not "Isabell". I lived in that town for 55 years and also ran trains over that crossing many many times. The spelling may make a difference if someone were to try and do a text search on it. Signal Maintainer tried to keep it going as long as he could with parts he could scrounge but finally gave up in the 90's.
I used to get paid for doing what all of you like to watch!

railrod1949
Railroadfan...fan

No problem Hogger1225.My bad! While I got you, during the old NYC days in the 1950's where was the switch engine or the road engine that was used to switch the rail customers on the old NYC south that cross Isbell Street, kept at the south yard (old NYC yard)? Also during the PC, Conrail and NS days on the Lansing branch, where was the road or switch engine kept at the old South Yard, that was used to switch the old NYC South rail customers as well as cross Isbell Street? Was there a yard crew based at the South yard?

Hogger1225
Railroadfan...fan

I wasn't born until 1952 but in the 50's most engines were kept at the Gier St roundhouse about a mile north of what everybody now knows as North Lansing. The Engineer would get on the engine there at the roundhouse and run it by himself down to North Lansing and pick up the rest of the crew at the (then) yard office and then continue on to where they had to go. The crews that switched the South NYC would get their cars at Lansing Yard (South Yard) switched out and then head north to Baker St and go towards the South NYC or go north to Shiawasee St and take the siding and then go around to the South NYC right where the old bridge goes over the river to the old BWL plant. Occasionally they might go over to Saginaw Yard in extreme circumstances and then go back south and enter the South NYC at Turner St. After the roundhouse was closed down, there was a small 1 stall engine house built just south of Cavanaugh Rd and most of the engines were kept there. Engines for the Oldmobile and Fisher Body work were usually kept at the Saginaw Yard but had to go either to the roundhouse or Lansing Yard for servicing (after the RH was taken down).

Michael
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Michael »

Apparently everyone knows of the legendary and powerful wig wag of Isbell :lol:

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

She is a temptress :twisted:
Michael wrote:Apparently everyone knows of the legendary and powerful wig wag of Isbell :lol:
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

railrod1949
Railroadfan...fan

Hogger1225 wrote:I wasn't born until 1952 but in the 50's most engines were kept at the Gier St roundhouse about a mile north of what everybody now knows as North Lansing. The Engineer would get on the engine there at the roundhouse and run it by himself down to North Lansing and pick up the rest of the crew at the (then) yard office and then continue on to where they had to go. The crews that switched the South NYC would get their cars at Lansing Yard (South Yard) switched out and then head north to Baker St and go towards the South NYC or go north to Shiawasee St and take the siding and then go around to the South NYC right where the old bridge goes over the river to the old BWL plant. Occasionally they might go over to Saginaw Yard in extreme circumstances and then go back south and enter the South NYC at Turner St. After the roundhouse was closed down, there was a small 1 stall engine house built just south of Cavanaugh Rd and most of the engines were kept there. Engines for the Oldmobile and Fisher Body work were usually kept at the Saginaw Yard but had to go either to the roundhouse or Lansing Yard for servicing (after the RH was taken down).

To Hogger1225, When was the section of the South NYC spur between North Lansing and Cedar Street Junction (with the GTW/CN Flint Sub, just north of the Baker Street crossing) was abandoned and pulled up?

Hogger1225
Railroadfan...fan

I would guess sometime in the 80's. Don't really remember. What we referred to as the "South NYC actually ran from Turner St (off the C&O) down to the Cedar Interlocking, then further south across Logan St (now MLK Blvd) to a couple of car lengths south of the switch to Reid Machinery, (when I worked there. Hired out in 1970). That portion crossed the GTW just west of the Cedar Street road bridge while the other diamond that's still in (JAIL) was just east of the Cedar St road bridge. There is still a small portion of the northern part of the South NYC in (at least the last that I knew of) between Turner St and it ends just north of Oakland Ave. The rest is the portion that JAIL operates now, where it curves of at Baker St and then curves around and heads south again across Baker St out to QD and Reid Machinery. Everything south of Oakland Ave to the (now CN) is gone.

blueheron13
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by blueheron13 »

Another SE Michigan location, photographed a couple of months ago:
ImageP1280111 by Brian Mohr, on Flickr
Amateur railfan trying to become a real railfan since 2017.

ConrailDetr​oit
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ConrailDetr​oit »

This track will be lucky to see a train again.

Michael
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Michael »

When I zoomed in I could see Great Lakes Crossing so that must be the track heading out to the GM Lake Orion plant
blueheron13 wrote:Another SE Michigan location, photographed a couple of months ago:
ImageP1280111 by Brian Mohr, on Flickr

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

If they don't use the runaround track at Eames how do they switch the scrap metal business?
ConrailDetr​oit wrote:This track will be lucky to see a train again.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

GTW6401
how bout no

Unread post by GTW6401 »

If they don't use the runaround track at Eames how do they switch the scrap metal business?
They go around the wye and shove in from Walton Blvd.

blueheron13
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by blueheron13 »

AARR wrote:If they don't use the runaround track at Eames how do they switch the scrap metal business?
Maybe they use the wye south of Walton Blvd to face the right direction?

Oh, I should say that yes this is where Collier Rd crosses the CN Cass City Subdivision, close to Great Lakes Crossing.
Amateur railfan trying to become a real railfan since 2017.

railrod1949
Railroadfan...fan

blueheron13 wrote:
AARR wrote:If they don't use the runaround track at Eames how do they switch the scrap metal business?
Maybe they use the wye south of Walton Blvd to face the right direction?

Oh, I should say that yes this is where Collier Rd crosses the CN Cass City Subdivision, close to Great Lakes Crossing.
Yes, indeed, the the former GTW RR Cass City Sun than ran up to Caseville in the Michigan Thumb. That shot above is looking north from the Collier Road crossing. Later the old Cass City Sub (now the Orion spur that ran to the GM Orion Plant. The north switch(just south of Collier Road, to the former Sam Allen scrap yard, was removed about 25 years ago. That scrap yard is now Ferrous Processing and Trading. CN yard job 513 based in Pontiac now switch the scrap yard. To reach the scrap yard, the yard wye at the junction south of E. Walton Blvd and shove the yard job all the way to the scrap yard. Once completed there the yard job pull the gons all the way to the Pontiac yard. Final run of the old GTW RR mixied trains 49/52 between Pontiac and Caseville, was made on December 31, 1955.