Where Is It?

Posts that don't fit in the other train categories. Off Subject Chit Chat I tell you. :)
PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Where Is It?

Unread post by PatAzo »

PatAzo wrote:It's the winter of 67/68 and the eve of the Penn Central merger. The scene looks very much like this today though the trees are taller, the rail is welded and the locomotives are newer.
The train is listed in this snippet from a 1966 NYC employee time table. I think NSSD70ace has heard many trains at this location.

railrod1949
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by railrod1949 »

PatAzo wrote:
PatAzo wrote:It's the winter of 67/68 and the eve of the Penn Central merger. The scene looks very much like this today though the trees are taller, the rail is welded and the locomotives are newer.
The train is listed in this snippet from a 1966 NYC employee time table. I think NSSD70ace has heard many trains at this location.

Somewhere on the "Michigan Air Line" that ran between Jackson and Niles via Concord, Homer, Union City and Tekosha,

railrod1949
Railroadfan...fan

PatAzo wrote:

Somewhere on the "Michigan Air Line" that ran between Jackson and Niles via Concord, Homer, Union City and Tekosha,

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PatAzo »

railrod1949 wrote:
PatAzo wrote:
The track is still in place today. The power poles look almost identical to the photo. Taller trees, welded rail and newer locomotives.

Hogger1225
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Hogger1225 »

Not sure where the pic was taken at but if it was between Jackson and Three Rivers the track is gone.
I used to get paid for doing what all of you like to watch!

railrod1949
Railroadfan...fan

Hogger1225 wrote:Not sure where the pic was taken at but if it was between Jackson and Three Rivers the track is gone.
Between Ann Arbor and Jackson>

DaveO
Read more, think more, post less

Unread post by DaveO »

PatAzo wrote:
~Z~ wrote:Just for the heck of it, since so many others were basically this spot: Newaygo.
I saw that one last night and wondered how many postcards of that same spot had been made.

So on to something fresher. It's the winter of 67/68 and the eve of the Penn Central merger. The scene looks very much like this today though the trees are taller, the rail is welded and the locomotives are newer.

I'm guessing Fort Custer

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PatAzo »

The train was most likely the Kalamazoo Turn. Go west until you find WAMX power.

railrod1949
Railroadfan...fan

PatAzo wrote:The train was most likely the Kalamazoo Turn. Go west until you find WAMX power.
Last edited by railrod1949 on Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Standard Railfan »

I believe this is the crossing at Kilgore Road, Kalamazoo

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PatAzo »

Standard Railfan wrote:I believe this is the crossing at Kilgore Road, Kalamazoo
Yes, Kilgore RD. https://goo.gl/maps/MQbWj3n1RrrJmQAK7

We lived in Three Rivers when my dad shot this. When I started scanning his slides I looked all over from Schoolcraft to Constantine for where this was. Finally I showed it to a GDLK engineer who knew right off it was Kilgore Rd. I don't know how many times I'd driven across the track at that point.

railrod1949
Railroadfan...fan

PatAzo wrote:
Standard Railfan wrote:I believe this is the crossing at Kilgore Road, Kalamazoo
Yes, Kilgore RD. https://goo.gl/maps/MQbWj3n1RrrJmQAK7

We lived in Three Rivers when my dad shot this. When I started scanning his slides I looked all over from Schoolcraft to Constantine for where this was. Finally I showed it to a GDLK engineer who knew right off it was Kilgore Rd. I don't know how many times I'd driven across the track at that point.
North of E. Kilgore Road, Kalamazoo on the north side and Portage on the south side of E. Kilgore Road, Kalamazoo County. Final run of the remaining old New York Central RR passenger train service between Elkhart, IN and Grand Rapids, MI, was made in 1930. That trackage is now the GDLK RR.

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

PatAzo wrote:We lived in Three Rivers when my dad shot this. When I started scanning his slides I looked all over from Schoolcraft to Constantine for where this was. Finally I showed it to a GDLK engineer who knew right off it was Kilgore Rd. I don't know how many times I'd driven across the track at that point.
Blah.. the number of shots I've taken at Kilgore too, as I used to live 1/4 mile from that crossing. Here's one particularly bad photo...same power poles too:
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

Mark F
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Mark F »

Circa 1980:

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Erb Lumber in Birmingham?
Mark F wrote:Circa 1980:
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

Standard Lumber, Kalamazoo Ave SE Grand Rapids. Tracks gone, business is still there.

Mark F
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Mark F »

Yes, this is a spur off the old Reed's Lake branch which ran behind the lumber sheds on the right. I lived a couple blocks to the south and this was my railroad hangout in the 70's and early 80's. I think the crew switched on Tuesdays, Thursdays and occasionally Saturdays. They usually had the caboose with the toy horse mounted on top. Managed to score a ride or two. I used to stop and talk trains with Glenn Vanwinkel at Alexander Scale Models on Cottage Grove St. I can still remember most of the track layout from Eastern Ave to Adams St. This particular spur went west across Kalamazoo Ave to the left of the office and ducked between some other sheds. I remember the old yellow crossbucks on Kalamazoo Ave. This spur was rarely used by then so it is probably why I took a picture of this car. It appears that The Living Word Christian Center now occupies this lot. Standard Lumber used to have some additional sheds on this lot until they went up in smoke during one of their spectacular fires.

J3rsdm5
Speak softly and carry a big tripod

Unread post by J3rsdm5 »

Edit: A friend found it! 37.948499, -121.276490

Hey all, been a while!
I actually don't know where this one is, but figured you guys would be the best people to ask. The image title implies that it's probably in California, but I can't find any other details from reverse image searches.
EXIF Data:
2835x1595 (Highest I can find)
(Supposedly) Taken on 06/07/2016 23:08. (Maybe it's in UTC?)
Canon EOS 5DS
f/5.6
1/500
26mm focal

In the bottom left, the sign on that building says "PRHS", but I haven't found any leads from it.
Thanks in advance! :D
Attachments
img108.jpg
"If it ain't all red, it ain't red at all"
Image JJRicks Studios

DaveO
Read more, think more, post less

Unread post by DaveO »

J3rsdm5 wrote:Edit: A friend found it! 37.948499, -121.276490

Hey all, been a while!
I actually don't know where this one is, but figured you guys would be the best people to ask. The image title implies that it's probably in California, but I can't find any other details from reverse image searches.
EXIF Data:
Canon EOS 5DS
f/5.6
1/500
26mm focal

In the bottom left, the sign on that building says "PRHS", but I haven't found any leads from it.
Stockton, CA
Google image search shows this picture was used for a Benzinga article
Google search for PRHS truck service returned a no longer valid link on Manta that indicated Stockton, CA
A little bit of searching Google maps and ...

And I now see that your friend found it with the coordinates

https://goo.gl/maps/9hmNH6Tz3KJEr6oKA

railrod1949
Railroadfan...fan

DaveO wrote:
J3rsdm5 wrote:Edit: A friend found it! 37.948499, -121.276490

Hey all, been a while!
EXIF Data:
Canon EOS 5DS
f/5.6
1/500
26mm focal

Stockton, CA
Google image search shows this picture was used for a Benzinga article
Google search for PRHS truck service returned a no longer valid link on Manta that indicated Stockton, CA
A little bit of searching Google maps and ...

And I now see that your friend found it with the coordinates

https://goo.gl/maps/9hmNH6Tz3KJEr6oKA

The UP RR trackage in the above shot was the former Southern Pacific RR also currently use by the ACE Commuter trains between San Jose and Stockton ACE depot, CA and by Amtrak train that run between Bakersfield and Sacramento with stop at the Stockton ACE depot ( not the Stockton Amtrak depot).
Last edited by railrod1949 on Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:12 am, edited 2 times in total.