Where Is It?

Posts that don't fit in the other train categories. Off Subject Chit Chat I tell you. :)
~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Re: Where Is It?

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Ding, fries are done... Correcto.
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

railrod1949
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by railrod1949 »

~Z~ wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:20 am
Ding, fries are done... Correcto.
Yes, indeed, its the east end of the old GTW RR main on the west side of Linden Road, just south of Lennon Road in Flint Township, Genesee County, The building on the left is Karen's Carpetmax. Kohl's store is to the far right.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

That track was still in place beyond Linden Rd all the way to Ballenger Hwy up until about 2010 or so. The crossings and everything was intact, including a brand new setup at the nearby Lennon Rd crossing that was removed. For a long time there was a large "For Sale" sign at the former Ballenger crossing with GTW (not CN) being advertised as the seller. The largest crossing was a 5 track crossing at Utley Rd just east of the I-75 overpass governed by crossbucks. There was also a yard between Corunna Rd and Utley Rd. All of this started to come out and the bridge over I-75 was torn out about 5 years ago for what I guess was integrity reasons. Everything from Linden Rd all the way to the former auto plant locations on Flint's west side are now a part of what I believe is the Flint River Trail. Its a nice trail but a lot of it runs through rough neighborhoods. Flint is doing its best to turn some of the area by the old automotive plants into greenspace and parks.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

DaveO
Read more, think more, post less

Unread post by DaveO »

MQT1223 wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:40 pm
That track was still in place beyond Linden Rd all the way to Ballenger Hwy up until about 2010 or so. The crossings and everything was intact, including a brand new setup at the nearby Lennon Rd crossing that was removed. For a long time there was a large "For Sale" sign at the former Ballenger crossing with GTW (not CN) being advertised as the seller. The largest crossing was a 5 track crossing at Utley Rd just east of the I-75 overpass governed by crossbucks. There was also a yard between Corunna Rd and Utley Rd. All of this started to come out and the bridge over I-75 was torn out about 5 years ago for what I guess was integrity reasons. Everything from Linden Rd all the way to the former auto plant locations on Flint's west side are now a part of what I believe is the Flint River Trail. Its a nice trail but a lot of it runs through rough neighborhoods. Flint is doing its best to turn some of the area by the old automotive plants into greenspace and parks.
bridge gone in street view September 2008. that section abandoned 2006.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

DaveO wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:10 pm
MQT1223 wrote:
Couldn't have been 2008... it was about the time the trail started being built. I remember because my dad's fiance lived right around the corner from that bridge up until 2018. You sure your looking at the right bridge? 2006 would make sense given that everything was largely intact up until that point. What was it being used for up to its abandonment?
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

DaveO

Unread post by DaveO »

MQT1223 wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:48 pm
DaveO wrote:
MQT1223 wrote:
Couldn't have been 2008... it was about the time the trail started being built. I remember because my dad's fiance lived right around the corner from that bridge up until 2018. You sure your looking at the right bridge? 2006 would make sense given that everything was largely intact up until that point. What was it being used for up to its abandonment?
The bridge was removed before the track to it was removed. IIRC, it was removed concurrent with rehab work MDOT was doing on that stretch of I-75.
Corunna Yard saw some usage as car storage near the end.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

DaveO wrote:

The bridge was removed before the track to it was removed. IIRC, it was removed concurrent with rehab work MDOT was doing on that stretch of I-75.
The track came out first, save for the crossings. The bridge came out during its own little project well afterwords. Due to the nature of the area it had become a habit for people to walk across it or go around the gates on either end, I even saw a car cross it once.

I'm surprised another bridge wasn't erected in its place, but with a nearby overpass on surface streets it was probably a cheaper long term solution.

I want to say the bridge came down around 2012.

GTW6401
how bout no

Unread post by GTW6401 »

The trail uses the M21 overpass to cross the freeway, and connects back before crossing over Graham Road.

The students at Kettering seem to use the trail the most, especially over near Chevrolet Avenue. That area around the university isnt bad by Flint standards.

DaveO

Unread post by DaveO »

MQT1223 wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:39 pm
DaveO wrote:

The track came out first, save for the crossings. The bridge came out during its own little project well afterwords. Due to the nature of the area it had become a habit for people to walk across it or go around the gates on either end, I even saw a car cross it once.

I'm surprised another bridge wasn't erected in its place, but with a nearby overpass on surface streets it was probably a cheaper long term solution.

Notice the google street view image date of September 2008 and the bridge is gone.
https://goo.gl/maps/vpogty23ncaNmxGR9
It appears the track near and east of I-75 was removed concurrent with the bridge removal.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

DaveO wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:51 pm
MQT1223 wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:39 pm
DaveO wrote:

Notice the google street view image date of September 2008 and the bridge is gone.
https://goo.gl/maps/vpogty23ncaNmxGR9
It appears the track near and east of I-75 was removed concurrent with the bridge removal.
Man... it sure didn't seem that long ago...

Michael
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Michael »

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Somewhere in da UP I'm thinking.
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Newberry?
Michael wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:03 am
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Michael
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Michael »

It is the UP but Newberry is cold.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Iron Mountain?
AARR wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:36 am
Newberry? It is the UP but Newberry is cold.
Michael wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:03 am
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Buster Manning
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Buster Manning »

concur.... W. Brown St in Iron Mountain

If you were to back up the Google view, it shows a NB train going thru here :wink:

railrod1949
Railroadfan...fan

Buster Manning wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:12 pm
concur.... W. Brown St in Iron Mountain

If you were to back up the Google view, it shows a NB train going thru here :wink:
Yes, E Brown Street, Iron Mountain, MI looking north along the E&LS RR( former the Milwaukee Road RR) towards Channing and Champion, MI. In Iron Mountain, Dickinson County. Final run of the remaining passenger train on the former the Milwaukee Road train nos9/10 the Copper Country Limited between Chicago and Calumet, MI with stop in Iron Mountain at 10:00pm southbound and 3:30am northbound, was made on March 7 and 8, 1968.

Michael
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Michael »

Well done guys. You are correct Buster https://goo.gl/maps/AAc2GcwytcZoFfvc8

ConrailDetr​oit
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ConrailDetr​oit »

ImageIMG_5514 by tcamp7837, on Flickr

railrod1949
Railroadfan...fan

ConrailDetr​oit wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:08 am
ImageIMG_5514 by tcamp7837, on Flickr
Somewhere along the Detroit River, Detroit.