Where Is It?

Posts that don't fit in the other train categories. Off Subject Chit Chat I tell you. :)
Jochs
Iron Horse Whisperer

Re: Where Is It?

Unread post by Jochs »

PatAzo wrote:Taken in the early 1990's. Grand Trunk Western.

Is this Kingsbury, IN, on one of the many spurs around the Kingsbury Ordinance Plant? CN runs close by.
Jeff O.
Celebrating 11 years dial-up free!

(18:36:45) MagnumForce: Railfanning is way more fun when you stop caring about locomotives and signals
(19:11:29) cbehr91: I can't believe I'm +1ing Brent but +1

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

Near Imlay City, on the old PO&N?
~ Charles W.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Oxford?

PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PatAzo »

Not Kingsbury or Oxford. This section was a bit obscure. Extending into the woods beyond an auto plant most people didn't realize it was there. Today you can ride your bike or hike over this section of the right of way.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Orion or Pontiac?
PatAzo wrote:Taken in the early 1990's. Grand Trunk Western. Not Oxford, Kingsbury, Imlay City or Muskegon
[/quote]
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PatAzo »

Not Orion or Pontiac. Go west. What other auto makers did GTW serve?

railrod1949
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by railrod1949 »

PatAzo wrote:Not Orion or Pontiac. Go west. What other auto makers did GTW serve?

Flint or Grand Rapids or Lansing?

M.D.Bentley
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by M.D.Bentley »

I don't know where it is . But I think they are going to have problems placing cars there :-)

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PatAzo »

railrod1949 wrote:
PatAzo wrote:Not Orion or Pontiac. Go west. What other auto makers did GTW serve?

That's a GM weighted list. What other auto makers did GTW serve?

railrod1949
Railroadfan...fan

PatAzo wrote:
railrod1949 wrote:

That's a GM weighted list. What other auto makers did GTW serve?

Former auto plant, former American bumper plant in Ionia. Or in West Michigan. Or Checker Motors in Kalamazoo.
Last edited by railrod1949 on Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

I'm also thinking Checkers in Kalamazoo
railrod1949 wrote: Former auto plant, former American bumper plant in Ionia. Or in West Michigan. Or Checker cab in Kalamazoo.

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PatAzo »

From the Checker Motors site follow the tracks north. After they cross Mosel the NYC line crossed the Kalamazoo River and headed north. Grand Trunk had a track that swung north west and stayed between Pitcher St and the Kalamazoo River. This was taken a bit north of the turn from Pitcher St to G Ave. The track went north a short way beyond that and there was the remains of three or four tracks and an old scale. Today it's part of the Kalamazoo River Valley Trail.

NSSD70ACe
The Conrail Guru

Unread post by NSSD70ACe »

Hope its not too hard.
:roll:

the contents of the above post are my opinion and mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

railrod1949
Railroadfan...fan

[quote="NSSD70ACe"]Image

Hope its not too hard.[/quote

Helmer Road S, Battle creek.
Last edited by railrod1949 on Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PatAzo »

Helmer Rd Battle Creek

railrod1949
Railroadfan...fan

PatAzo wrote:From the Checker Motors site follow the tracks north. After they cross Mosel the NYC line crossed the Kalamazoo River and headed north. Grand Trunk had a track that swung north west and stayed between Pitcher St and the Kalamazoo River. This was taken a bit north of the turn from Pitcher St to G Ave. The track went north a short way beyond that and there was the remains of three or four tracks and an old scale. Today it's part of the Kalamazoo River Valley Trail.
That shot above taken by PatAzo is looking north from the turn from Pitcher Ave to G Avenue, just east of the Grand Elk RR in Cooper Township, Kalamazoo County. Just north of the Kalamazoo City Limit, west of the Kalamazoo River.

Jochs
Iron Horse Whisperer

Unread post by Jochs »

railrod1949 wrote:
PatAzo wrote:From the Checker Motors site follow the tracks north. After they cross Mosel the NYC line crossed the Kalamazoo River and headed north. Grand Trunk had a track that swung north west and stayed between Pitcher St and the Kalamazoo River. This was taken a bit north of the turn from Pitcher St to G Ave. The track went north a short way beyond that and there was the remains of three or four tracks and an old scale. Today it's part of the Kalamazoo River Valley Trail.
That shot above taken by PatAzo is looking north from the turn from Pitcher Ave to G Avenue, just east of the Grand Elk RR in Cooper Township, Kalamazoo County. Just north of the Kalamazoo City Limit, west of the Kalamazoo River.
Is that this bridge? This one is in Parchment. I think this one is blocked off...some of the deck is missing.
oldtbr1.jpg
North of the bridge some of the grade is still visible.
grade1.jpg
Looking through my photos, I see the bridge I was thinking of along Tracy Rd. in Kingsbury, In is in much better shape. It is near a parking area for the Kingsbury State Game Area and is easily accessible.
king2.jpg
And so much for the photos I was going to use for a "Where is it" :lol: :lol:
Well class, remember these...they may show up later on a test..... :wink:
Jeff O.
Celebrating 11 years dial-up free!

(18:36:45) MagnumForce: Railfanning is way more fun when you stop caring about locomotives and signals
(19:11:29) cbehr91: I can't believe I'm +1ing Brent but +1

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PatAzo »

Jochs wrote:

Is that this bridge? This one is in Parchment. I think this one is blocked off...some of the deck is missing.
oldtbr1.jpg
North of the bridge some of the grade is still visible.
grade1.jpg
Looking through my photos, I see the bridge I was thinking of along Tracy Rd. in Kingsbury, In is in much better shape. It is near a parking area for the Kingsbury State Game Area and is easily accessible.
king2.jpg
And so much for the photos I was going to use for a "Where is it" :lol: :lol:
Well class, remember these...they may show up later on a test..... :wink:
[/quote]

That looks like the old CK&S line through Parchment. It curved northeast after crossing Mosel. The GTW didn't cross the river. The photo I posed was further north at the crossing of a creek.

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PatAzo »

railrod1949 wrote:Helmer Road S, Battle creek.
Vicksburg was a good guess...

NSSD70ACe
The Conrail Guru

Unread post by NSSD70ACe »

PatAzo wrote:
railrod1949 wrote:Helmer Road S, Battle creek.
Vicksburg was a good guess...

This location is west of BC.
:roll:

the contents of the above post are my opinion and mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.