Where Is It?

Posts that don't fit in the other train categories. Off Subject Chit Chat I tell you. :)
James Sofonia
Grand Traverse Dinner Train 1996

Re: Where Is It?

Unread post by James Sofonia »

PatAzo wrote:
That's F7A 1759 and F3A 1619 who, in a few years, would succumb to a fate worse than shoving storage tankers around in northern Wisconsin.
What fate was that?

James Sofonia

Another for the "rails in pavement" series. Grand Traverse County where I have lived for 45 years and just recently noticed this. I think because there are usually cars parked over it. Can barely be seen by Google Earth or street view but give it a try.

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PatAzo »

Pixl wrote:
PatAzo wrote:
That's F7A 1759 and F3A 1619 who, in a few years, would succumb to a fate worse than shoving storage tankers around in northern Wisconsin.
What fate was that?
The scrappers torch.

James Sofonia

PatAzo wrote: That's F7A 1759 and F3A 1619 who, in a few years, would succumb to a fate worse than shoving storage tankers around in northern Wisconsin.
The scrappers torch.
Unbelievable ! They drove those classic F units to a scrap yard and cut them up in place?

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

This looks like the feed mill that would be east of the station but was located on the line coming up from Walton Jct. and was located just before the crossing with the C&O
Pixl wrote:Another for the "rails in pavement" series. Grand Traverse County where I have lived for 45 years and just recently noticed this. I think because there are usually cars parked over it. Can barely be seen by Google Earth or street view but give it a try.

PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

railrod1949
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by railrod1949 »

AARR wrote:This looks like the feed mill that would be east of the station but was located on the line coming up from Walton Jct. and was located just before the crossing with the C&O
Pixl wrote:Another for the "rails in pavement" series. Grand Traverse County where I have lived for 45 years and just recently noticed this. I think because there are usually cars parked over it. Can barely be seen by Google Earth or street view but give it a try.

McCough's Feed Mill, Lake Avenue, traverse City.

ConrailDetr​oit
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ConrailDetr​oit »

ImageDSCN1272 by tcamp7837, on Flickr

Michael
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Michael »

You guys are super close but It is not the mill. It's a little further NW along Lake Avenue. Just on the other side of Eight Avenue.
You can see the loading dock from Pixl's photo in street view.
railrod1949 wrote:
AARR wrote:This looks like the feed mill that would be east of the station but was located on the line coming up from Walton Jct. and was located just before the crossing with the C&O

McCough's Feed Mill, Lake Avenue, traverse City.

railrod1949
Railroadfan...fan

Found it! It's what is now the Thirlby Automotive North on E. Eight Street at the northwest corner of Lake Avenue in Traverse City, Grand Traverse County. In Pixl's shot, it looking south with E. Eight Street on the other side of the building.

James Sofonia

railrod1949 wrote:Found it! It's what is now the Thirlby Automotive North on E. Eight Street at the northwest corner of Lake Avenue in Traverse City, Grand Traverse County. In Pixl's shot, it looking south with E. Eight Street on the other side of the building.
You guys are correct, good find. Yeah it is the same color as the feed mill around the corner. When C&O pulled up the rail yard along the waterfront they put in what was called "Rennies Sub" to maintain a connection with the tracks that ran up to Suttons Bay. It ran from the feed mill down Lake St. past this location , behind the library and over to "Tom's West Bay store to the line up North. This was a siding for the TC Canning Co. off the sub. A guy from Thirlbys came out while I was photographing and told me where the tracks went into the building they had a thaw and a freeze in there that pushed the track up in the air. They had to torch them out to use the room again. Here is the back side of Thirlbys with the original signage still on the building.

M.D.Bentley
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by M.D.Bentley »

ConrailDetr​oit wrote:ImageDSCN1272 by tcamp7837, on Flickr
THIS looks dangerously familiar 8)

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

M.D.Bentley wrote:
ConrailDetr​oit wrote:ImageDSCN1272 by tcamp7837, on Flickr
THIS looks dangerously familiar 8)
It's not going to be enough to say Detroit, is it? Because I'm pretty sure that's in Detroit. :twisted:
~ Charles W.

ConrailDetr​oit
Railroadfan...fan

It is in Detroit.

The winner will be the one who tells what street and what track.

railrod1949
Railroadfan...fan

ConrailDetr​oit wrote:It is in Detroit.

Hints please?

James Sofonia

I had a lot of time on my hands today to look around for this spot. Looks like it should be a a quiet neighborhood road crossing a rail track and ending in a "T" intersection with another road. But it just doesn't seem to be out there.

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hoborich »

That picture could be almost anywhere in Detroit! Weeds, rubble, tires. So many possibilities, so little time.
That could be Mt Elliot down at the stop sign.
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".

GTW6401
how bout no

Unread post by GTW6401 »

Farr between Mt. Elliott and Foster. Its a very small side street on the eastside of Detroit.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

So is the railroad Conrail? Is that the track that ends at the small produce distributor?
GTW6401 wrote:

Farr between Mt. Elliott and Foster. Its a very small side street on the eastside of Detroit.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

ConrailDetr​oit
Railroadfan...fan

Correct. Farr St on Conrail's Beltline Extention, ends at Lagrasso Bros at Theodore St.

A "rural" crossing in the hood.

M.D.Bentley
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by M.D.Bentley »

If you go one crossing south of Farr at Cymbal st was a building with a track that cut through the corner of the building BUT did not get rail service itself. It was still in service when I hired out. But never got to go through the urban tunnel.