Anyone know anything about Florida??

Posts that don't fit in the other train categories. Off Subject Chit Chat I tell you. :)
RailGal
Railroadfan...fan

Anyone know anything about Florida??

Unread post by RailGal »

So I might be going to Florida next week for a few days (long story - ask if you dare!) and I wanted to try and check out some trains down there. I did what research I could with my limited resources so now I turn to you guys.

I'm going to be in Sarasota near the Seminole Gulf Railway. They actually have a website.
http://www.semgulf.com/index.htm

Does anyone know anything about this system or how often there are trains on it? Supposedly we'd be down there Thursday midday and leave Saturday night. ANY information would be greatly appreciated. I'm not a beach person.

You know you're a railfan when you go to Florida and instead of going to the beach, you go railfanning.

Kate
I'm in a New York state of mind.

signmasters
Railroadfan...fan

Florida

Unread post by signmasters »

RailGal if it's not to late try your post on railfrums.com there is a lot of rail fans from Florida there they should be able to help. I use to live there in Lakeland. Hope this helps have fun stay safe.
A great photographer can make a great photo out of any kind of light from any angle at any time, life is not a studio! There is no such thing as bad light.

Railzfan
SpecialDuty

Unread post by Railzfan »

Hey RailGal,

I was just in Florida a few weeks ago, I don’t really know of any good places in there to watch trains but there are a few in Georgia. The first is Folkston, GA. 65+ trains a day and a public viewing platform with a scanner and bathrooms on premises. I was there for about 3 and a half hours and saw around 20 trains pass though. The other place is Cordele, GA. around 60 trains a day pass through on diamonds, CSX, NS and GDOT. I have further information on my website, just hit the link ‘Train watching hot spots’. Click Here to visit the site.

Have fun down there :D
~Andrew Kersting

Website - Rocky Mountain Custom Models

Long Live the Denver & Rio Grande Western!

RailGal
Railroadfan...fan

Update

Unread post by RailGal »

Just an update....

The reason for my trip to Florida was to visit my grandfather. The doctors had given him a few weeks to live about 5 weeks ago. Now he's in a rehab center and on his way home next week, so things are looking better for him. :D

Unfortunately, the news of his homecoming meant a lot of things needed to be done around the house that my grandmother needed help with. The end result: I didn't get any railfanning in. My dad and I did try to catch the juice train, but it just didn't work out.

On a different note, I did see quite a few trains on our flights. We fly down via Washington/Dulles and got to sit and watch a train line not far from the airport. The return trip was via Philadelphia and from the air I saw a good number of trains. From what I could tell (until we were too high to see) they were CSX. Its a completely different perspective to see them from the air.

All in all, it wasn't a success in railfanning - but the news of my grandfather's improvement in health was a huge relief.

So sorry no pictures. :( I might be going down over the summer for a longer period of time (hopefully) and will possibly try to get some railfanning in then.

Thanks to everyone for your help!!!

Kate
I'm in a New York state of mind.