My Layout

Posts that don't fit in the other train categories. Off Subject Chit Chat I tell you. :)
Scooterb
Sofa King Grumpy

My Layout

Unread post by Scooterb »

Posted some pics of my current layout
Steel factory
Grain elevator
Yard area
Intermodel area
Corner view
Larger shot of Grain area
Different angle on yard shot
Large view corner shot
Scenic area
Track view
Same view overhead
Chemical corner

Question I am thinking of taking this layout down and redoing it as my favorite place...... Fostoria.

The new layout would be from Wood street to East Fostoria.
NS from Mennal Milling to Blair yard
88 crossovers to B&O center siding

Everything would go to staging areas along the outside walls.

What do you think tear it down or keep it?

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Unread post by sd70accsxt700 »

First question you have to ask, is are you a oppertions guy, (ie. do you want to do things the way the real railroads do, servicing customers ect.), or do you want more of a place to show off you locos and cars.
If you are more of a opperations guy, then forget the Fostoria layout, somthing like that is more for show than for real opperations, especally if you are limmiting it to that small of a place.
At one time, I was working on desigening a layout for a friend, that ran from Bellvue to Fostoria, and included the CSX diamonds.
https://flic.kr/ps/jSuAb My Flickr photos!

BB
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by BB »

Sounds like me, have a patch of scenery done and then want to change something. The joys of modeling.
MQT Rail pictures at [url=http://bbarch_railfan.rrpicturearchives.net/default.aspx]RRPictureArchives.NET[/url]
Brandon

Railzfan
SpecialDuty

Same here....

Unread post by Railzfan »

Same here, I get an area done and then I change my mind, rip up the whole area and redo it all! Never ends, I like prototype operations, but sometime I like to just have fun too!
~Andrew Kersting

Website - Rocky Mountain Custom Models

Long Live the Denver & Rio Grande Western!

BB
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by BB »

You're right about that one, it never ends.

I had this 4ft section of track ballasted and bridge glued in with the "water" which is really an epoxy and decided I didn't like the curve on the bridge so now I'm redoing it.

MQT Rail pictures at [url=http://bbarch_railfan.rrpicturearchives.net/default.aspx]RRPictureArchives.NET[/url]
Brandon

RailCanon
BANHAMMERED

Unread post by RailCanon »

That's cool Scott! I think you should keep it the way it is now.

By the way, where did you get that neat 7 tracks sign?

Scooterb
Sofa King Grumpy

Unread post by Scooterb »

Matt thanks, I am more into operations. Nate and I were thinking of changing some things and I was trying to see if there was a way to do Fostoria. Looks like we are leaning on keeping the current layout as is.

Railzfan the joys of modeling you finish then want to change something how right you are.

BB thats awEsome great detailing.

GP looks like I will keep it as is for now.

The sign I got for Chistmas 25-30 years ago.

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

One of the last layouts that I ran was the one at the hobby store..while you guys may be into operations or just running trains, i actually ran mine on fire once. Spray a lot of electrical engine cleaner on the track and make a puddle with it, spray down the back of the engine with it as well, have jointed rail, run the engine at full speed. As the engine came around the corner, spark on the joint and flaming Chessie engine went on down the track. Bachmann's finest cheap cheap engine was used :) Those were the days.
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

SousaKerry
ALCOHAULIC

Unread post by SousaKerry »

Actually old Fo-Town could make for an intersting switching layout especially free lanced a bit with the NS Mixing yard and minell milling and other grain facilities in town make a few loop tracks and have through freights crossing the diomonds at random inervals and you really have a challenge dodging the freights and trying to switch out the locals. I personally would like to someday model willard to deshler or so and try to remain as close to the prototype as ppossible obviously with some compretion.

Sousa