railroadfan.com Spring gathering...

Posts that don't fit in the other train categories. Off Subject Chit Chat I tell you. :)

Is Deshler Ohio Ok for a first gathering?

YES
82%
no
18%

Total votes: 11

patrick
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by patrick »

MM
Last edited by patrick on Tue Jan 17, 2006 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

hmm...meeting april 29th..wasn't it in the upper 40's last meeting in durand on april 30th? How'd you come up with that date anyway? First I've heard of that date everyone, BTW.
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

RailCanon
BANHAMMERED

Unread post by RailCanon »

Patrick wrote:MM
Does this mean it isn't going to happen?

patrick
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by patrick »

Proababally not.... I want to get the gathering date set ASAP, but I guess mr. zack wants to discuss it first.... if we have it it'll be the last weekend in april.... thats the only time i can do it as i'll be in school. I applied for college today.
Last edited by patrick on Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

Even if the last weekend in April doesn't work out for everyone, you could still set a date, time and place and whoever shows up, shows up. Honestly, the last weekend in April hasn't been one I've been able to attend the meets, but that' because school lets out right around there and I'm usually in the process of moving my stuff home. And anyway, no matter when it gets set, its gonna be inconvenient for a lot of people, so you might just have to pick a date, time and place and stick to 'em.

SousaKerry
ALCOHAULIC

my 2 cents but you'll have change coming

Unread post by SousaKerry »

Try Walbridge, Oh easy to get to more yard and through freights then you can shake a stick at plus stanley is just a stones through away. There is a park on the east side of the yard with portajohns grills a picnic shelter pleanty of parking and the best part is a large hill right next door which you can see almost the whole yard from. If you like the museam setting Bellvue is awesome local 2 ns lines converge just east of the museam and as long as the museam is open restrooms are available, I can call an old friend and prolly get em to open up for some extra hours for a donation of coarse , and did I mention one of the largest hump yards in the us is 2 miles away. Bellvue's hump is really a sight to see has a track that crosses underneath the apex if the hump (tallest hump hill I have ever seen)

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

I am honestly in full support of something here in MICHIGAN. I've been to Fostoria and theres a million trains, and I'd like to get to Deshler to see the B&O signals, tower and the like, but that's Ohio. We're in Michigan, and I'd personally like to see the gathering here. To me, it's not the number of trains (although I admit the long dead times get boring) that make the event such a blast, but meeting everyone else, talking and catching up, sharing stories, photos, and things of that sort. Not to mention detours on the way and way back from the place. I feel no draw to Fostoria where we'd be running around all the time trying to find the right track and side the sun would be on and would never really get time to setlle down and meet and greet.

I'm also in favor of someplace where we'll see a variety of stuff coming by, not just a constant parade of Dash-9s and high horsepower SD units. Durand is great for this, because even though I left while there were pretty much all Dash-9s, the HESR came out later, and we did see some SD40-2s and the like. I like to think other diamonds would be good too. Battle Creek maybe? Oak Street in Wyandotte? Judd Street in Grand Rapids? Romulus? Carleton to me sounds great, opportunity for quite a bit of variety, and you can get close to the tracks without tresspassing. I'm also in favor of Elkhart, IN, just because of my personal ties with the area, and because there are so many opportunities for photos in the area.

Those are my thoughts... take em or leave em on a siding :)

Steve Hubbard
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Steve Hubbard »

:D I feel that Deshlier would be a good choice all though Fostoria would make a good alternate choice. What ever you decide is ok with me.

gtw5812
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by gtw5812 »

Heck...how about Tehachapi, Ca??? Heck, by April, gas should be about $8.50 a gallow, and we could take 3 weeks off, and travel by electric car........Just a thought..LOL!
Saginaw Bay Southern "Excellence in Transportation"..and Proud to be a Part of It!!
http://railroadfan.com/gallery/displayi ... pos=-36534

Scooterb
Sofa King Grumpy

Unread post by Scooterb »

delete
Last edited by Scooterb on Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gtw5812
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by gtw5812 »

I was making fun...that's what lol means...Laugh out Loud....
Saginaw Bay Southern "Excellence in Transportation"..and Proud to be a Part of It!!
http://railroadfan.com/gallery/displayi ... pos=-36534

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

gtw5812 wrote:I was making fun...that's what lol means...Laugh out Loud....
sorry about that GTW5812...scooter was responding to someone that had responded to your post and was upset... scooter wasn't refering to your post :) Any place for a meeting is good as long as we have trains!
Webmaster

Aleks
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Aleks »

Is their a definite plan yet? I'm game for most of the places mentioned. My son will be home from University by mid April so late in April would be great so he can come along as well.

MMRR-24
Shortline Fan

Unread post by MMRR-24 »

Tunnel City Wisconsin :lol:

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Aleks wrote:Is their a definite plan yet? I'm game for most of the places mentioned. My son will be home from University by mid April so late in April would be great so he can come along as well.
no definate plan yet. I'm up for places like Deshler, Fostoria, South Bend, Lansing, or Durand... even though someone came up with the railroadfan.com meeting, well, i just don't want to be responsible for planning it all :) Maybe someone/something will work a meeting closer to the april/may time.
Webmaster