CP Demands Corridor Clear - Residents Protest

Posts that don't fit in the other train categories. Off Subject Chit Chat I tell you. :)
Bulby
Railroadfan...fan

Re: CP Demands Corridor Clear - Residents Protest

Unread post by Bulby »

CSX_CO wrote:Maintaining some tact will go a long way in this situation. No needs to be a-holes about it.

Practice Safe CSX
Unfortunately, you are correct; but what fun we can dream of...
Apparently I work on GEs now...

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

CSX_CO wrote:
Pixl wrote:A Jordan spreader would do nicely on the front of the first train thru.
Bulby wrote:
How about a Russel Plow, two ES44AHs, a jordan spreader, and two more ES44AHs? I think the residents would get quite the awaking. :D

Almost forgot; a following OCS consist filled will railway police officers and lawyers armed with property maps to deal with any trespassers.
MQT3001 wrote: Nah...pollute the air with some rusty ALCos.
I'm glad you all don't work for the railroad's law and PR departments.

Maintaining some tact will go a long way in this situation. No needs to be a-holes about it.

Practice Safe CSX
Geez, what a party pooper. What I see is just some people having fun in this thread. Who cares about the reality of it as it affects no one here.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

NSSD70ACe
The Conrail Guru

Unread post by NSSD70ACe »

Pssh just use the Loram Rail Grinder! Kill it with fire! :D
:roll:

the contents of the above post are my opinion and mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Garry K
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Garry K »

Peronally, I wouldn't grow anything in a garden (that I ever wanted to eat) near a location that has had toxic chemicals in it, stuff like creosote, weed killers, etc. I wonder if those gardeners ever considered that before they planted their gardens?

Garry K

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Garry K wrote:Peronally, I wouldn't grow anything in a garden (that I ever wanted to eat) near a location that has had toxic chemicals in it, stuff like creosote, weed killers, etc. I wonder if those gardeners ever considered that before they planted their gardens?

Garry K
Yeah, railroads basically always have something nasty under them. It just so happens a firm was taking core samples this morning in the strip mall parking lot in Grandville, former site of the depot. I didn't stop and ask, but those cores were not the cleanest looking dirt...
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

MQT3001 wrote:
Garry K wrote:Peronally, I wouldn't grow anything in a garden (that I ever wanted to eat) near a location that has had toxic chemicals in it, stuff like creosote, weed killers, etc. I wonder if those gardeners ever considered that before they planted their gardens?

Garry K
Yeah, railroads basically always have something nasty under them. It just so happens a firm was taking core samples this morning in the strip mall parking lot in Grandville, former site of the depot. I didn't stop and ask, but those cores were not the cleanest looking dirt...
I'm curious what clean looking dirt would look like in your expert opinion?

Practice Safe CSX

railohio
Photographer of Wires in America by Rail of Ohio & Wisconsin

Unread post by railohio »

I thought dirt, by definition, was dirty.
"I shot the freight train / But I did not shoot the fantrip"

Garry K
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Garry K »

Dirt is actually a living thing. "Good" dirt is full of all sorts of good things, nitrogen, microbes who combine the nitrogen with other nutrients that plants can use, etc. Of course, dirt can also contain toxins. If you want to grow stuff to eat from that dirt, you should have some idea of what's in the dirt.

Is your dirt mostly sand or clay? Good luck growing much in it (except weeds, which sadly seem to be able to grow anywhere!). But if it's good dirt from composted plants, it will support much more plant life. The dirt's pH factor can also affect the ability to grow plants, some plants liking an acidic soil, or a neutral soil, etc.

Once I started gardening seriously, I realized that not all dirt is created equal. For example, sometimes I planted some plants in the "regular" ground on my property while planting identical plants in my composted, raised garden bed soil. Huge different in growth and yield. The dirt in the raised beds allows huge plants to grow with lots of veggies, while the same plants in the "regular" old dirt don't grow so well. As an example, I got about 40 cayenne peppers off a plant in the compost soil, while a cayenne plant in regular dirt only yielded about 8 peppers over the summer.

Garry K

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

What made you think I was an expert? I clearly went into pH and acidity and...oh wait I just said it looked like. Learn to take things for what they are instead of trying to fire up a flame war

Anyway, I said that because there was quite a distance of blackened soil above the clay...and this being a graded, paved area I do not presume they'd pave right over topsoil. That was my deduction, but who knows whether or not it is completely correct...I never claimed it was. Point still is, railroad rights of way are still generally toxic, especially where the trains are parked and serviced...hence why the EPA runs around telling railroads to install protection on the ground where locomotives are generally parked.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

bdconrail29
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bdconrail29 »

Garry K wrote:Dirt is actually a living thing. "Good" dirt is full of all sorts of good things, nitrogen, microbes who combine the nitrogen with other nutrients that plants can use, etc. Of course, dirt can also contain toxins. If you want to grow stuff to eat from that dirt, you should have some idea of what's in the dirt.

Is your dirt mostly sand or clay? Good luck growing much in it (except weeds, which sadly seem to be able to grow anywhere!). But if it's good dirt from composted plants, it will support much more plant life. The dirt's pH factor can also affect the ability to grow plants, some plants liking an acidic soil, or a neutral soil, etc.

Once I started gardening seriously, I realized that not all dirt is created equal. For example, sometimes I planted some plants in the "regular" ground on my property while planting identical plants in my composted, raised garden bed soil. Huge different in growth and yield. The dirt in the raised beds allows huge plants to grow with lots of veggies, while the same plants in the "regular" old dirt don't grow so well. As an example, I got about 40 cayenne peppers off a plant in the compost soil, while a cayenne plant in regular dirt only yielded about 8 peppers over the summer.

Garry K
Shouldn't that go in the Gardening thread?
Brett

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

MQT3001 wrote:What made you think I was an expert? I clearly went into pH and acidity and...oh wait I just said it looked like. Learn to take things for what they are instead of trying to fire up a flame war
Just assumed you must be an expert if you can simply look at dirt and know if it's clean or not. My great-great grandfather could do that with cattle so he was always in high demand when livestock came to market. Glad Gerry came along in filled in the gaps. I know after 8 years in my house, where they stripped to top soil prior to building the neighborhood, finally I can scratch the top of the clay infused soil and keep grass seed in place. When I first started I could make great looking clay bricks out of my yard if I wanted. Which is probably why the brick industry was hugely successful around here 100 years ago.

Practice Safe CSX

redcrumbox
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by redcrumbox »

The city now wants to buy the line.

The City of Vancouver is prepared to offer Canadian Pacific “fair market value” to purchase the Arbutus corridor, according to a statement from Mayor Gregor Robertson.

http://www.vancouversun.com/life/City+V ... story.html

Looking at Vancouver's GIS, I found it interesting that the GIS shows Burlington Northern as the owner of about 1200 feet of the northern end of the line above W 1st Ave.

Also in the news there was a suspicious fire on the trestle at the south end of the line. CP police are investigating.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c ... -1.2701799
Old EMD’s are the gift that keeps on giving.