Where Is It?

Posts that don't fit in the other train categories. Off Subject Chit Chat I tell you. :)
railrod1949
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Where Is It?

Unread post by railrod1949 »

AARR wrote:Ann Arbor? Possibly the spur lead to Fingerle Lumber?
Michael wrote:Image
Yes, that's Fingerle Lumber yard on the south side of E. Madison Street, Ann Arbor, Washtenaw County. Looking south along the Ann Arbor RR which can be seen on the right.

Michael
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Michael »

AARR knows the AARR :D

Michael
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Michael »

I don't know how long ago this roughly 2 mile long stretch of track was removed but many of the codeline poles are all still in place.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

I think this might be in Saginaw. The former MC/NYC/PC/CR/GTW/CMGN line between Meredith Jct. and Hoyt.
Michael wrote:I don't know how long ago this roughly 2 mile long stretch of track was removed but many of the codeline poles are all still in place.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

railrod1949
Railroadfan...fan

AARR wrote:I think this might be in Saginaw. The former MC/NYC/PC/CR/GTW/CMGN line between Meredith Jct. and Hoyt.
Michael wrote:I don't know how long ago this roughly 2 mile long stretch of track was removed but many of the codeline poles are all still in place.
Yes, that's Emily Street and the Self Serve Lumber, looking west along the old MC/NYC/PC/GTW
CMGN toward Meredith Junction between Hoyt and Meredith Junction in Saginaw, Saginaw County. The final passenger train through that area was on March 19, 1964. It was the old NYC Beeliner train nos. 393/394 between Detroit and Bay City.
Last edited by railrod1949 on Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Michael
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Michael »

Railroad1949 posted the exact location but AARR is on a roll so I am giving him a chance to go for the trifecta

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PatAzo »

Michael wrote:Railroad1949 posted the exact location but AARR is on a roll so I am giving him a chance to go for the trifecta

Corner of Buchanan St and Hammond St, Detroit MI. I found a map from 1947 that says the track was the Pere Marquette.

railrod1949
Railroadfan...fan

PatAzo wrote:
Michael wrote:Railroad1949 posted the exact location but AARR is on a roll so I am giving him a chance to go for the trifecta

Corner of Buchanan St and Hammond St, Detroit MI. I found a map from 1947 that says the track was the Pere Marquette.
Yes, Buchanan and Hammond streets, looking northwest along the ROW of the old Pere Marquette RR's (later C&O Railway) West Detroit Branch toward the Edsel Ford Expressway(I-94) all in Detroit, Wayne County.

Michael
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Michael »

PatAzo wrote:
Michael wrote: Image

Good job Pat

Michael
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Michael »

More embedded rails in the Detroit area for those not already tired of it

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Looks like a former trolley line in Detroit’s Eastern Market area. 1949 will know the streets :wink:
Michael wrote:More embedded rails in the Detroit area for those not already tired of it
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Pixl wrote:
MQT1223 wrote: The northern portion is now the Oxford Street Trail and beyond that is industrial trackage in the Joe Brown/Padnos Scrap facility.
Does Padnos ever get rail cars on that portion?
Service to Padnos is expected to end soon, so unfortunately that track although in rough shape is on borrowed time.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

Michael
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Michael »

AARR wrote:Looks like a former trolley line in Detroit’s Eastern Market area. 1949 will know the streets :wink:
Michael wrote:More embedded rails in the Detroit area for those not already tired of it

It is not a former trolley line. It is just a couple blocks from Woodward Avenue. There are more tacks on the same street as well.

railrod1949
Railroadfan...fan

Michael wrote:
AARR wrote:Looks like a former trolley line in Detroit’s Eastern Market area. 1949 will know the streets :wink:

It is not a former trolley line. It is just a couple blocks from Woodward Avenue. There are more tacks on the same street as well.
Old rail spurs off the old Detroit Terminal RR , looking east from Third Avenue (in the foreground) toward Woodward Avenue (M-1), just north of Manchester Parkway in Highland Park, Wayne County. Also, Michael, minor spelling correction. it's tracks. not tacks.
Last edited by railrod1949 on Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Buster Manning
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Buster Manning »

3rd Ave, just north of Manchester Parkway....

Any idea what was here originally?? Those apts. look fairly new and sorta out of place as it looks like a pretty gritty industrial area off the Detroit Terminal RR

Michael
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Michael »

Buster Manning wrote:3rd Ave, just north of Manchester Parkway....

Any idea what was here originally?? Those apts. look fairly new and sorta out of place as it looks like a pretty gritty industrial area off the Detroit Terminal RR

I thought it was interesting too. I guess you can't blame it on Detroit as this is actually Highland Park but the tracks ( I spelled it right that time :) ) show on this 1974 topo map but were gone by the 1984 revision although still imbedded in 3rd Avenue despite redevelopment in the area

DaveO
Read more, think more, post less

Unread post by DaveO »

Michael wrote:
Buster Manning wrote:3rd Ave, just north of Manchester Parkway....

I thought it was interesting too. I guess you can't blame it on Detroit as this is actually Highland Park but the tracks ( I spelled it right that time :) ) show on this 1974 topo map but were gone by the 1984 revision although still imbedded in 3rd Avenue despite redevelopment in the area
OMG! What was there?

The area between Woodward on the east, Hamilton on the west, Manchester on the south and Sears on the north was the site of the sprawling Detroit United Railway, later Detroit Street Railways car shops and barns. The building on Hamilton as of 4/7/2017 still partially stands. The major portion of the multi-building structure having been destroyed by fire on 2/3/2016.

The specific track remnant shown would have been a DUR/DSR owned track used for interurban/streetcar movements within the shop complex. It also would have been used for freight traffic into/out of the complex. AFAIK, there were industrial customers using the site after the DSR moved out in 1972.

The other crossings left in place to the north would have been Detroit Terminal trackage.

So Don was partially correct about the trolley!

I'm out of colored electrons.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Those tracks look too narrow for standard gauge
DaveO wrote:The area between Woodward on the east, Hamilton on the west, Manchester on the south and Sears on the north was the site of the sprawling Detroit United Railway, later Detroit Street Railways car shops and barns. The building on Hamilton as of 4/7/2017 still partially stands. The major portion of the multi-building structure having been destroyed by fire on 2/3/2016.

The specific track remnant shown would have been a DUR/DSR owned track used for interurban/streetcar movements within the shop complex. It also would have been used for freight traffic into/out of the complex. AFAIK, there were industrial customers using the site after the DSR moved out in 1972.

The other crossings left in place to the north would have been Detroit Terminal trackage.

So Don was partially correct about the trolley!

I'm out of colored electrons.

DaveO
Read more, think more, post less

Unread post by DaveO »

AARR wrote:Those tracks look too narrow for standard gauge
I agree it looks narrow. But it's distortion.

I went to google maps and used the measure tool. While I didn't get the measurement of 4.70833333333333333333333333...
It was close enough to for me to deem the track was standard gauge, which is what the DUR/DSR used.

Michael
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Michael »

Thanks for that info DaveO. Where exactly is the DSR building on Hamilton?