steam engines are rubbish!!!

Posts that don't fit in the other train categories. Off Subject Chit Chat I tell you. :)

Are you Pro or Anti Steam?

Pro-Steam
67%
Anti-Steam
33%

Total votes: 45

rsinoms
Human Moose Elephant

steam engines are rubbish!!!

Unread post by rsinoms »

Who here thinks steam is complete rubbish. It is inefficient, costly, and just blowing steam! Some may think I'm joking around. I just don't see the need for restoring these engines. What a waste of money! UP could just use the money from their steam program and add capacity. Diesel is progress!!! Look forward and not back. Also as a final point, Sir Toppam Hat thinks James is a rubbish engine and should be scrapped.
You say trestle... I say Trussell!!!

tsinoms
Adult Gerber Baby

Re: steam engines are rubbish!!!

Unread post by tsinoms »

rsinoms wrote:Who here thinks steam is complete rubbish. It is inefficient, costly, and just blowing steam! Some may think I'm joking around. I just don't see the need for restoring these engines. What a waste of money! UP could just use the money from their steam program and add capacity. Diesel is progress!!! Look forward and not back. Also as a final point, Sir Toppam Hat thinks James is a rubbish engine and should be scrapped.
No
This is my life. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

If this is a problem get used to it.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Anti steam is ahead, 4-3 :shock: . I thought everyone except rsinoms liked steam :lol: I don't get as excited about steam engines like some others do but I'm glad they're still around and appreciate the people who dedicate their time toward their preservation so the rest of us can enjoy them.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Jetlink
Not a Railfan

Unread post by Jetlink »

I like steam engines. I'm glad other people are willing to give their time and money so that I can continue to enjoy them.
interested in trains

Patiently waiting for LansingRailfan to antagonize me in his tagline

PlymouthStationGuy
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PlymouthStationGuy »

Give me STEAM. Nothing like the sound and smell of a steam engine going by you at 40 mph
Plymouth Station Guy
Please do not poke at the ramp agent because he has the power to make your vacation
memorable or miserable. It all depends on what flight you bags go on.

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

I'll say this, as a kid who saw 765 running on CSX and then on NS last summer, it was one of the most amazing things seeing a Berk speed along with a large passenger train at 40mph. Nothing in the world like it.

SW
Rail Trail Explorer

Unread post by SW »

I paced UP 844 north of Denver at 65 mph. That was art in motion, to see all those pistons and gears operating so smoothly in concert. But yes, steam was and is extremely expensive to operate. If we say we want to keep it, we ought to support steam excursions once in a while by paying to ride, and / or by supporting the organizations that keep steam alive (and I need to listen to myself more often :oops: )
Owosso Steve

PerRock
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PerRock »

I'm not really one way or another.

For regular operations, electric is the way to go. (diesel is ok now) But there is something a bit more magical & nice about steam. For tourist excursion runs I'd much rather be on steam.

peter
Given the choice; I fly Amtrak.
American Trainz Group

SousaKerry
ALCOHAULIC

Unread post by SousaKerry »

rsinoms wrote:Who here thinks steam is complete rubbish. It is inefficient, costly, and just blowing steam! Some may think I'm joking around. I just don't see the need for restoring these engines. What a waste of money! UP could just use the money from their steam program and add capacity. Diesel is progress!!! Look forward and not back. Also as a final point, Sir Toppam Hat thinks James is a rubbish engine and should be scrapped.

YOUR RUBISH...

"Those who refuse to learn from history are condemned to repeat it." Ok, Steam will never come back or at least likely never come back, unless something drastic happens like figuring out cold fusion.

I have ridden behind the 611 through Ohio in 1993 at 70 MPH and also saw it thunder past at track speed truly an amazing experience, I have also ridden Amtrak through Ohio and Pennsylvania and there is no comparison. Yes it makes no monetary sense but it is part of our heritage and needs to be kept for future generations. If anything to teach our young people who live in a push button society what real work was like 60 years ago to appreciate what they have now.

And no I am not some 80 year old man trying to relive his youth, I am 38 and wish I had paid more attention when Conrail, CNW, WP, WC, SF were a common sight. I remember CSX before "Brilliant Future" ruined so many classic paint schemes with horrible patches. When every diesel was not just another GE look alike Wide Cab dash whatever and you could tell the difference without having a PHD in roster memorization. If it weren't for the lightning bolts on the side of CSX cabs I couldn't tell you what kind of traction motors were beneath a locomotive.

Ahh never mind you quit reading 2 paragraphs ago and just don't understand
What smells like lube oil and diesel.... Oh wait it's just my "Locomotive Breath"

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PatAzo »

rsinoms wrote:Sir Toppam Hat thinks James is a rubbish engine and should be scrapped.
That's only because James sprayed water on Sir Topham Hat's new hat.

http://youtu.be/PYdhXbwi3z8