Website overhaul

Questions and updates for http://www.railroadfan.com are posted here. If anyone has suggestions, either post here or email me at zack@railroadfan.com.
~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Website overhaul

Unread post by ~Z~ »

hey guys....redesigning the majority of the site...about the only thing to stay the same will be the message board. The gallery is getting incorporated with the user list from this message board, so users will now be able to upload and maintain their own galleries....this will keep the galleries in a much better organization.
I'm running backups at the moment to keep things safe. Heading out of town this weekend, so i'm not sure when the new site will be up...stay tuned!
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

here's a taste of it....lots of image moving to do, and many many captions to move....i can change the themes too for different colors...let me know of any suggestions:

http://www.railroadfan.com/gallery/index.php

use your message board login to login in...you may even be logged in already when you click that link. you can now upload your own photos to your own gallery. give it a try.

if you'd like your own gallery, click on "Create/Order my Albums" hit "new" then type in the name of your gallery, and hit "apply modifications"
then hit upload, and send in your pics! any questions, feel free to post.
Webmaster

Scooterb
Sofa King Grumpy

I like it

Unread post by Scooterb »

I think it will be a great improvement Zack. I like the way you can add captions and know who the contributers are.
Is there going to be a size limit like on the old site?
Let us know when we can start uploading.
Thanks again Zack for keeping up this site.
Scott B.

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Re: I like it

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Scooterb wrote:I think it will be a great improvement Zack. I like the way you can add captions and know who the contributers are.
Is there going to be a size limit like on the old site?
Let us know when we can start uploading.
Thanks again Zack for keeping up this site.
Scott B.
i sure hope it all goes smoothly. the new gallery combines the login from this message board, so you already have a login ID, and should be logged in when you click on http://www.railroadfan.com/gallery

One of the main reasons i switched over is because of that caption option. with the old system, people would upload images, and an email would be sent to me, to then manually put captions with the pictures..if i didn't check my mail for a day or two, it used to be ok because i'd only get a couple uploads a week. now i'm getting 4-10 new pictures a day, and the old system just isn't keeping up. This new one is automated, so you type a caption, and it's instantly there.
size limit on the old site was 500k, but the new one is 50 megs..this is so you can upload videos as well. if you need one larger than 50 megs, i can increase it. when you send in a picture, it will be resized to something more managable if it's more than 1024 pixels wide or tall.

site is ready, feel free to upload. like i mentioned, when you log in to the gallery area, follow these directions to create your own personal gallery, or just upload to the misc. user submitted photos if you'd like.

if you'd like your own gallery, click on "Create/Order my Albums" hit "new" then type in the name of your gallery, and hit "apply modifications"
then hit upload, and send in your pics! any questions, feel free to post.
Last edited by ~Z~ on Sun Jun 26, 2005 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Webmaster

skrail
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by skrail »

I UPLOADED SOME PICTURES FROM MY CONDUCTOR.
HE TOLD ME TO USE ALL I WANTED!!
AMERICAN FREEDOM TRAIN
BOTSFORD IN SPRING OF 75 FLOOD
ELKHART FROM YEARS GONE BY TOO
ENJOY, COPY AND LOOK. JUST GIVE ME CREDIT IF ANY ONE
USES THEM ELSEWHERE.
SCOTT.
Scott-NS Imagineer

BB
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by BB »

Very nice gallery feature Zack!

This is the first type of gallery I've seen that you can upload videos to and reset votes and views when editing your pictures.

The slideshow feature is cool too.
MQT Rail pictures at [url=http://bbarch_railfan.rrpicturearchives.net/default.aspx]RRPictureArchives.NET[/url]
Brandon

snoopdober
D to the O to the double G

Unread post by snoopdober »

thanks for the update, railroadfan. great work!