"Like" Button?

Questions and updates for http://www.railroadfan.com are posted here. If anyone has suggestions, either post here or email me at zack@railroadfan.com.
PerRock
Railroadfan...fan

Re: "Like" Button?

Unread post by PerRock »

TrainWatcher wrote:No, it would either be over used or neglected. This isn't Facebook.
I rolled out a Like/Dislike feature onto my forum www.amtraktrainz.co.cc and it is neither abused nor neglected. I mainly put it on for people to like screenshots & pics. However I have noticed it being used in areas where a regular user cannot port but can read (such as the announcements area). It was also implemented as a somewhat coding trial for myself (the admin) as I was planning on incorporating it into the download section, but that didn't work as planned.

As a person who posts a fair bit of screenshots over there I like it because it gives me a sense that people have actually seen my pictures and think their good, as I sometimes get the feeling that no one is paying any attention to me.

However I have noticed that most "older" railfans (idk, 30+ maybe 35+) tend to dislike anything that bears any resemblance to facebook.

peter
Given the choice; I fly Amtrak.
American Trainz Group

gonzojoe
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by gonzojoe »

Could we get a "don't give a #&*@% " button!

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

gonzojoe wrote:Could we get a "don't give a #&*@% " button!
If a LIKE button (of any sort is added), one of ^these^ should be added as well. 8)
~ Charles W.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Im in favor of a "Like" button. I support MQT's mission in life to be the most irrelevant poster :lol:
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Several people including me were doing this:

*Like*

...or something like that. So, I thought maybe there is a way for zack to just have a button! Well, the thread ran for a few days, and the outcome is "NO" apparently. Honestly, I really don't care at this point.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

MQT3001 wrote:Several people including me were doing this:

*Like*

...or something like that. So, I thought maybe there is a way for zack to just have a button! Well, the thread ran for a few days, and the outcome is "NO" apparently. Honestly, I really don't care at this point.
Or, just don't post 'like' and waste peoples time having to scroll though it. I assume that 'no' comments means people generally like what they see. I don't need my ego stroked or have some complex where I need to know people 'like' me. Constructive criticism, corrections, or other 'tid bits' of knowledge add to a thread. The "GR8T SHOTS KEEP EM COMING" does not.

Posting "like" adds nothing to the thread, does not simulate the transfer of knowledge or information, and is usually just a way to increase the pointless post count.

Practice Safe CSX

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

CSX_CO wrote:Or, just don't post 'like' and waste peoples time having to scroll though it. I assume that 'no' comments means people generally like what they see. I don't need my ego stroked or have some complex where I need to know people 'like' me. Constructive criticism, corrections, or other 'tid bits' of knowledge add to a thread. The "GR8T SHOTS KEEP EM COMING" does not.

Posting "like" adds nothing to the thread, does not simulate the transfer of knowledge or information, and is usually just a way to increase the pointless post count.

Practice Safe CSX
WORD.
Bottom text.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

CSX_CO wrote:Or, just don't post 'like' and waste peoples time having to scroll though it. I assume that 'no' comments means people generally like what they see. I don't need my ego stroked or have some complex where I need to know people 'like' me. Constructive criticism, corrections, or other 'tid bits' of knowledge add to a thread. The "GR8T SHOTS KEEP EM COMING" does not.

Practice Safe CSX
I suffer from very low self-esteem so I personally like it when at least one person ackownledges I took the time to post some info/pic/vid. I agree that posting "Like" does not satisfy my need to be accepted and I want a little more than that but if nothing is posted I feel embarrassed, neglected, and unwanted. :wink:

Seriously, when someone takes the time to post good info, a nice picture, or a video I am not opposed to someone posting their appreciation :) I won't hold it against them.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

Y@ wrote:WORD.

Just for the sake of arguing, I'm going to suggest a compromise and the adding of a "WORD" button. :twisted:
~ Charles W.