Paper Railroads hidden?

Questions and updates for http://www.railroadfan.com are posted here. If anyone has suggestions, either post here or email me at zack@railroadfan.com.

Hide Paper Railroads to a small group?

Poll ended at Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:48 pm

Yes
81%
No
19%

Total votes: 27

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Paper Railroads hidden?

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Poll: Would you like to see the paper railroads section hidden so only people that sign up for that area of the forum will see new posts there? This could be a similar setup to the hidden Super Long Threads area.

See this post about how the Super Long Threads was split off: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=15344

Please vote if you'd like the paper railroads hidden, which is a sub-forum under model railroading, or no to leave it as is so everyone sees the paper railroad posts.
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

DT&I
Commodore Perry

Re: Paper Railroads hidden?

Unread post by DT&I »

ould we possibly make it its on catagory? I feel like more people would be aware about them if they were under their own catagory.
I'm just here to put in time claims and complain

Michigan Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Michigan Railfan »

DT&I wrote:ould we possibly make it its on catagory? I feel like more people would be aware about them if they were under their own catagory.
I agree that more people would be aware, but I don't see it being enough people to become it's own category.

I don't see the harm in leaving the Paper Railroad topic open. Is there any harm? I see guests around there pretty often, nowhere near as many as the other categories, but there is still some. I mean, if there's nothing to lose, why not just leave it open? Unless there is a downside, but I can't think of any.
Jake
Railroading YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/trainster100
Aviation YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/dtwdelta763

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Unread post by Ypsi »

Michigan Railfan wrote:
DT&I wrote:ould we possibly make it its on catagory? I feel like more people would be aware about them if they were under their own catagory.
I agree that more people would be aware, but I don't see it being enough people to become it's own category.

I don't see the harm in leaving the Paper Railroad topic open. Is there any harm? I see guests around there pretty often, nowhere near as many as the other categories, but there is still some. I mean, if there's nothing to lose, why not just leave it open? Unless there is a downside, but I can't think of any.
Zack listed one downside in chat,
(22:00:06) ~Z~: i made a decision by putting it up for vote. I see that some are enjoying the threads, but I just see that most don't participate in it, so why show the threads to everyone
makes to me, and it might be annoying to some people who keep having to mark the fourm as read or whatever. Even though I enjoy the paper RR's I see no harm in hiding them
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

DT&I
Commodore Perry

Unread post by DT&I »

Michigan Railfan wrote:

Well it was worth a try, but I too would like it to stay open, sometimes when I get on i like to check it without logging in first. I don't see how marking a thread unread could hurt. It means more people viewing the forum and maybe even more participants.

Michigan Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

That's exactly what I was thinking. More people may want to have their own paper RR, so they may want to join. But, they couldn't do that if they didn't know there was a whole category devoted to them.
Jake

DT&I
Commodore Perry

Unread post by DT&I »

Michigan Railfan wrote:That's exactly what I was thinking. More people may want to have their own paper RR, so they may want to join. But, they couldn't do that if they didn't know there was a whole category devoted to them.
Yea but the way the poll is looking they will be hidden.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Hide it! I never read it, always click "mark forums read".
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

I participate in Paper Railroads BUT for the vast majority who dont its got to be a pain seeing it lit up all the time. Hide it and register me to see it.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

atrainguy60
Saginaw Sub Foamer

Unread post by atrainguy60 »

I voted yes. I figure it's not like it's going away forever and all you have to do is join, which is incredibly easy. So why not.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

atrainguy60 wrote:I voted yes. I figure it's not like it's going away forever and all you have to do is join, which is incredibly easy. So why not.
Same here...register me to it of course
I can see where it could be annoying. I was suprised it wasn't already put as a sub-forum to super long threads. That
Michigan thread took off.....wow
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

DT&I
Commodore Perry

Unread post by DT&I »

Well i guess its gonna be hidden so sign me up please!

atrainguy60
Saginaw Sub Foamer

Unread post by atrainguy60 »

I'm (of course) in, too. Sign me up.

Michigan Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Don't you just sign up yourself in the user control panel?
Jake

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Michigan Railfan wrote:Don't you just sign up yourself in the user control panel?
you will be able to, but Zack can pre-select people when he creates it. Less work for me :wink:

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Unread post by Ypsi »

MQT3001 wrote:
Michigan Railfan wrote:Don't you just sign up yourself in the user control panel?
you will be able to, but Zack can pre-select people when he creates it. Less work for me :wink:
but more work for zack :wink:
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

So is it going to be hidden? I see the poll runs a while longer, but it appears to be a done deal...

Michigan Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

MQT3001 wrote:So is it going to be hidden? I see the poll runs a while longer, but it appears to be a done deal...
I'm going with yes... I think the only people that would vote "yes" would be us that do the paper RR's. But that brings a question for Zack: Can guests vote in polls or no? If yes, we'd probably have at least a few more votes for "no". But then again, if a guest sees this thread, and realizes that they're going to be only viewable by members, they may want to join as a member so they can read the paper's, and maybe make their own. So, I guess this could be an upside for us as well.
Jake

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Michigan Railfan wrote:
MQT3001 wrote:So is it going to be hidden? I see the poll runs a while longer, but it appears to be a done deal...
I'm going with yes... I think the only people that would vote "yes" would be us that do the paper RR's. But that brings a question for Zack: Can guests vote in polls or no? If yes, we'd probably have at least a few more votes for "no". But then again, if a guest sees this thread, and realizes that they're going to be only viewable by members, they may want to join as a member so they can read the paper's, and maybe make their own. So, I guess this could be an upside for us as well.
Guests cannot vote. I also wonder if he could hide it from some members, but make it viewable to guests. Remember that the annoyance for some folks is the unread light lighting up every time we post

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

when will they be hidden?