Cleaning databases

Questions and updates for http://www.railroadfan.com are posted here. If anyone has suggestions, either post here or email me at zack@railroadfan.com.
~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Cleaning databases

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Over the holiday weekend, browsed through the database for this site and cleaned up a lot of old/unneeded information. Set a limit of 100 messages in the private message inbox, as well as sent items. If you haven't looked at either your inbox or sent recently, please do so so the system will truncate the old messages automatically.
ucp.php?i=pm&folder=inbox
ucp.php?i=pm&folder=sentbox

Removed the statistics in the photo gallery that showed where people were being referred from to view pictures. The view count is still there, but this referral information was taking up lots of database space. Reduced the database from 460 megs down to 340 megs. Also ran some optimization software to clear out blank or errored lines. This all may help keep posting times, searching, and pulling up threads a bit faster.
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Re: Cleaning databases

Unread post by Saturnalia »

I've noticed the changes, an I'm getting a slightly faster speed. Its really nice to have a webmaster who stays on top of things. The most annoying thing is when you send someone an email, and it FINALLY comes back a week later :roll:

Excellent job ~Z~!
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

Norm
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Cleaning databases

Unread post by Norm »

It's running much faster now.

Thanks Zack.
Norm

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan