Train Location Updates

Questions and updates for http://www.railroadfan.com are posted here. If anyone has suggestions, either post here or email me at zack@railroadfan.com.
Mr. Tops
Ferroequinologist

Train Location Updates

Unread post by Mr. Tops »

railroadfan wrote:i know what you be trying to do Mr Tops, now play nice.
All CSX train location updates for any one day are going to be in one thread.. maybe as a decent guideline, if you were the last one to update the thread and it's within an hour of your last post, just hit the edit button and post the update instead of making a new reply. Now that we have some ohio updates on the CSX thread, no need to clutter the thread with lots of short little updates that could be better formatted.
Just an idea...I know some people don't re-read the posts (I usually don't), so if someone goes back and edits their post, we do have tools to make font bold, underlined, colored, etc. Make it stand out so someone whose already read the post may see it when they return.

UPDATE: This stands out, So I may see it when I come back

Like I said, just an idea. I think it will keep things a little more organized than having someone submit a new post every 30 seconds with updates, or even someone having several posts in a row with one lined snipets that were posted further apart...

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Re: Train Location Updates

Unread post by ~Z~ »

I split this comment onto a new thread to get some input. Are people satisfied with how the daily updates on train locations and heads up are going? If not, please make some suggestions.

When there's heads up on something like ICE power on a CSX K train through Deshler Ohio that will happen tomorrow, does it make more sense to have that post in the daily CSX updates, or to have a separate post for that update? My thought is if it's running on CSX, put it in the CSX daily update and people will see it mentioned there.
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

conrailmike
Signal Maintainer
Location: Less than 100' from CSX (LSRC) Saginaw Sub. MP 61.4 in Highland, MI

Unread post by conrailmike »

railroadfan wrote:I split this comment onto a new thread to get some input. Are people satisfied with how the daily updates on train locations and heads up are going? If not, please make some suggestions.

When there's heads up on something like ICE power on a CSX K train through Deshler Ohio that will happen tomorrow, does it make more sense to have that post in the daily CSX updates, or to have a separate post for that update? My thought is if it's running on CSX, put it in the CSX daily update and people will see it mentioned there.
I agree, the Daily Update forum is for "Daily whereabouts of train locations along with sightings for heads ups to other railfans. " I think that should include "future" heads up info also, instead of it being in the daily update maybe it should have it's own thread - "CSX Heads up!."

I agree with Tops' post too, I always forget about being able to change the colors.

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Unread post by sd70accsxt700 »

My 2 cents, is that it was ok when we were a smaller group. Now that we have up dates from all over the northeastern midwest, maybe we need to devide it up into sections, ie. Michigan, Western Oh, Il, In., Eastern Ohio, NY, Pa. ect. With all the CSX updates especally it gets long to read if there are reports of trains all the way from NY to Chicago. and points south.
https://flic.kr/ps/jSuAb My Flickr photos!

amtrak1007
MP 25 Productions Co-Founder

Unread post by amtrak1007 »

sd70accsxt700 wrote:My 2 cents, is that it was ok when we were a smaller group. Now that we have up dates from all over the northeastern midwest, maybe we need to devide it up into sections, ie. Michigan, Western Oh, Il, In., Eastern Ohio, NY, Pa. ect. With all the CSX updates especally it gets long to read if there are reports of trains all the way from NY to Chicago. and points south.
I totally agree. The splitting of regions would cut down on "clutter" and keep our threads short and to the point.... something to try tomorrow maybe?

Mr. Tops
Ferroequinologist

Yeah, it used to be "CSX MI Location Update". Now we have 5 posts about Q327, D700, etc, then one about K695, then some posts about Y106 and Q335 and then one about Q164. I think it's great that we can keep everyone updated but I just feel it's getting a little out of hand. If I want to know where Q327 is, I have to (on my phone no less :cry: ) scroll through 2 pages of one liners about K695 and ICE power. Now, on the flip side, it only gets busy when there's something interesting going through, whether it's up here or down in IN/OH. There may be some days when an IN/OH Update thread may be DEAD. But, like TTAM said, when we were a smaller group it was OK, but now that it's getting busier, it may be time to consider splitting it; say in addition to the CSX MI Updates we can have "CSX Chicago Line Updates" or "CSX IN/OH Updates"...or something.

But my thing here the other day was it was just ridiculous out of control. I had a little fun with it and no offense to anyone who was at the expense of that fun but like I said, post after post just doesn't seem necessary. Unless someone requests a constant tracking of a train, do we really need to update a train every 5 minutes or every time they call out a signal? I mean, if you report they are through Fostoria, we know that they are past there and we can expect them in Deshler in the next 30-45 minutes.

Or another thing to ponder is everyone gets one post in the update thread to edit/update throughout the day? That may be a more far-fetched idea but just something to chew on...

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

It tasts like rubber. :D

Mr. Tops
Ferroequinologist

sd70accsxt700 wrote:It tasts like rubber. :D
Yeah..hard to chew on...very chewy. Bad idea. I like the idea of just splitting it. MI and "everything else". :)

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Yes I agree.

odave
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by odave »

Mr. Tops wrote:...do we really need to update a train every 5 minutes or every time they call out a signal? I mean, if you report they are through Fostoria, we know that they are past there and we can expect them in Deshler in the next 30-45 minutes.
Newbies and/or people not familiar with Ohio may not know that. When I first started out, I really liked seeing more data than less in the daily threads - it gave me a feel for distances and times and what to expect. I will continue to do this kind of research when I go to railfan an unfamiliar area.

But I get the point about some people not wanting all the data and the pain of scrolling on your phone. I think railroadfan's idea of re-editing your post, with font changes, is a decent solution...

amtrak1007

The good news is that the font changes, continue through the mobile skin as well, so our mobile users can enjoy the same formatting for edits that our PC users enjoy.

conrailmike
Signal Maintainer

odave wrote:
Mr. Tops wrote:...do we really need to update a train every 5 minutes or every time they call out a signal? I mean, if you report they are through Fostoria, we know that they are past there and we can expect them in Deshler in the next 30-45 minutes.
Newbies and/or people not familiar with Ohio may not know that. When I first started out, I really liked seeing more data than less in the daily threads - it gave me a feel for distances and times and what to expect. I will continue to do this kind of research when I go to railfan an unfamiliar area.

But I get the point about some people not wanting all the data and the pain of scrolling on your phone. I think railroadfan's idea of re-editing your post, with font changes, is a decent solution...
Maybe Zack needs a "sticky" for the newbies in that forum? Something about the "protocol" used when posting an update...just an idea.

The idea of splitting it up into states sounds like a winner (not a wiener!) though. That will put an end to 3 page update threads.

Mr. Tops
Ferroequinologist

conrailmike wrote:That will put an end to 3 page update threads.
Yeah, that was my bad. :lol: My way of spearheading the issue and having a little fun at the same time. :mrgreen:

So far, it seems the consensus is two threads and edit your original posts using bold, color, etc. instead of making multiple posts.

Say if you make a post about a train, make any updates about that train in that post. One user gets one post per train?

amtrak1007

I'd think it would be cool if we could make an interactive map kinda like http://72.148.42.113:8080/Amtrak/status ... sMapMW.htm to show where trains are, then if a user mouses over the specific train, he/she can get all the updates to that point...

Just my nerdy 2 cents.

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

That would be SWEET.

conrailmike
Signal Maintainer

Mr. Tops wrote:
Yeah, that was my bad. :lol: My way of spearheading the issue and having a little fun at the same time. :mrgreen:

So far, it seems the consensus is two threads and edit your original posts using bold, color, etc. instead of making multiple posts.

Say if you make a post about a train, make any updates about that train in that post. One user gets one post per train?
I wasn't talking about you Bob :mrgreen: I swear there's been other times that the update thread has been 3 pages.

One user gets one post per train? Seems a bit restrictive doesn't it?

There should be AT LEAST a couple of hours between one user's new update posts. No?

Mr. Tops
Ferroequinologist

conrailmike wrote:
Mr. Tops wrote:

I wasn't talking about you Bob :mrgreen: I swear there's been other times that the update thread has been 3 pages.

One user gets one post per train? Seems a bit restrictive doesn't it?

There should be AT LEAST a couple of hours between one user's new update posts. No?
And telling someone they can't post for a few hours isn't restrictive? I don't think one post per train (with edits) is restrictive. It's just asking someone to be courteous and not make an ungodly number of seperate posts about that train. If I'm in Deshler reporting on a westbound K695, instead of making a new post every time he calls a signal or passes through a city, I can just edit my original post with the updates. There won't be that many updates as he passes through your area within scanner range unless you are following a train across an entire region on the online feed. Then, if an eastbound K694 comes along, you can make a new post to report updates for K694. And then if someone in Fostoria wants to make a post about K694 passing through Fostoria, they can (and then follow the same "courtesy suggestions)".

So for example, you can do something like this:

Q164 update
1515 by Holgate
1530 by Hamler
1550 by Deshler
1625 by Galatea
1705 by Fostoria

Edit the post with your update instead of making 5 different, seperate posts with those updates. Knowing this is how it is going to be done, if people want to find the location of a specific train, they can find your ONE post on that train and look at the updates. And knowing this is how it is done, people will know how to look through the updates in the future...

conrailmike
Signal Maintainer

Mr. Tops wrote:And telling someone they can't post for a few hours isn't restrictive?
True - didn't honestly think about that...DOH
Mr. Tops wrote: I don't think one post per train (with edits) is restrictive. It's just asking someone to be courteous and not make an ungodly number of posts about that train. If I'm in Deshler report on a westbound K695, instead of making a post every time he calls a signal or passes through a city, I can just edit my original post with the updates. There won't be that many updates as we unless you are follow a train across an entire region...which one person usually can't accomplish. Then, if an eastbound K694 comes along, you can make a new post to report updates for K694. And then if someone in Fostoria wants to make a post about K694 passing through Fostoria, they can (and then follow the same "courtesy suggestions)".
I see what you mean.

Mr. Tops
Ferroequinologist

:wink:

I editted my post while you were posting.

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

And knowing is half the battle.