Mobile style released

Questions and updates for http://www.railroadfan.com are posted here. If anyone has suggestions, either post here or email me at zack@railroadfan.com.
~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Mobile style released

Unread post by ~Z~ »

For those that regularly browse the site with their Blackberries, iPhones, or some other types of cells, you may have noticed that a different theme loads when browsing with that compared to the view you get when browsing from your computer. The theme is a very striped down version with few graphics, options, and simple links to posts. I had a few test it and so far good responses on how it looks. Added menus at the top to get to the gallery/wiki/chat room as well. If you haven't browsed the site recently and would like to do so, please feel free and let me know if the browsing works fine for you.
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Re: Mobile style released

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

Browsing on the cell is a breeze now. Thanks for that Mobile Update. Much easier to read and post updates while trackside.

mikerm19
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by mikerm19 »

*like*
Mike
http://www.mitrain.net Come see us!

JANGAJONGA
Epic Fail B34 Master

Unread post by JANGAJONGA »

uhhhhh it kinda failed for me.

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

JANGAJONGA wrote:uhhhhh it kinda failed for me.
can you possibly describe a bit more as to how it failed? What type of phone were you using and what failed?
Webmaster

railohio
Photographer of Wires in America by Rail of Ohio & Wisconsin

Unread post by railohio »

I'll be the dissenting vote against it. There's no access that I found to private messages, something more useful to me than the chat/shout box. It also doesn't show the date/time a thread was last updated nor does it allow one to go to the first unread post in a thread.
"I shot the freight train / But I did not shoot the fantrip"

JANGAJONGA
Epic Fail B34 Master

Unread post by JANGAJONGA »

on my ipod touch 1st gen it looks all white and works fine but just looks different. there is really no color the words are blue and everything else is white.

amtrak1007
MP 25 Productions Co-Founder

Unread post by amtrak1007 »

railohio wrote:I'll be the dissenting vote against it. There's no access that I found to private messages, something more useful to me than the chat/shout box. It also doesn't show the date/time a thread was last updated nor does it allow one to go to the first unread post in a thread.
as long as you know to add /ucp.php to the end of the address, you can get to your messages. Might be helpful to add a link to it on the main page, but again if you know where to find it, its all there.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

I too wish there was easier access to PM's and the chatbox on the main page. Also wish there was some way it would display when a thread has a new post in it, too.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

trnwatcher
My name ain't Steven

Unread post by trnwatcher »

Just curious as to why the newer mobile style does not show the time a post was made. Most users (especially those on the CSX Train Location forum) will put the time they saw a particular train. If you don't post the time the mobile version does not show the time when the post was made. Is this something you can add back in Zack?
Steven F. Shick
http://www.youtube.com/user/trnwatcher
http://www.trnwatcher.net

I.T. guy/Railfan
"The true railfan has two favorite railroads....the Baltimore & Ohio and another one." - Charles S. Roberts

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

There isn't much available from the author of the mobile style to do modifications to it, but I'll look through the code and see if I can make some alterations. Also an option would be is to turn off the mobile style and just have the normal message board display, but I think people liked how much easier it is to read threads, correct?
Webmaster

railohio
Photographer of Wires in America by Rail of Ohio & Wisconsin

Unread post by railohio »

railroadfan wrote:There isn't much available from the author of the mobile style to do modifications to it, but I'll look through the code and see if I can make some alterations. Also an option would be is to turn off the mobile style and just have the normal message board display, but I think people liked how much easier it is to read threads, correct?
I don't visit on my iPod because I can't tell what posts are new and what posts aren't without clicking on each thread. That just makes it too difficult to browse the topics I care about.
"I shot the freight train / But I did not shoot the fantrip"

amtrak1007

railroadfan wrote:There isn't much available from the author of the mobile style to do modifications to it, but I'll look through the code and see if I can make some alterations. Also an option would be is to turn off the mobile style and just have the normal message board display, but I think people liked how much easier it is to read threads, correct?

for me the only time i use the mobile interface, is when i'm looking up train updates, and I can usually remember who was the last person to post on the topic. So for me it seems to be working ok, about the only alteration that i have done is add a bookmark for the private message section of the site, which the mobi theme doesn't include a link for.

As far as whats a new topic and what isn't, there is a small color change in the icon for the thread if i'm not mistaken.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Even though it looked funny, I liked going to RRfan on my iPod better when there wasn't a mobile version.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

amtrak1007

Chat even works on the droid. Its very sleak and quick.

trnwatcher
My name ain't Steven

Unread post by trnwatcher »

zack, just loaded Opera Mini as the browser on my mobile. it's much easier to navigate the site versus the mobile IE was using. One thing I've noticed is that I've lost the edit botton on my posts. Anyone else seen this on other mobiles?
Steven F. Shick
http://www.youtube.com/user/trnwatcher
http://www.trnwatcher.net

I.T. guy/Railfan
"The true railfan has two favorite railroads....the Baltimore & Ohio and another one." - Charles S. Roberts

amtrak1007

Hey z, I'm only seeing style=3 theme on my phone today what's up? Where'd style=4 go?

amtrak1007

HEy Z, any idea when you'll have the mobi theme fixed again?

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

was looking into it earlier today, not much luck yet.. might just reinstall those two mobile themes and see what happens.
Webmaster

amtrak1007

thanks Z, not like I can't see the site, its just not as friendly as I remember it to be.