West Michigan short line TLU

Questions and updates for http://www.railroadfan.com are posted here. If anyone has suggestions, either post here or email me at zack@railroadfan.com.

Should there be a separate TLU for West Michigan short lines

Poll ended at Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:00 pm

Yes
42%
No
58%

Total votes: 12

GRHC
Railroadfan...fan

West Michigan short line TLU

Unread post by GRHC »

I think there should be a separate TLU for short lines in West Michigan. I for one like reading and posting about what’s going on with the local short lines. However I’m much too lazy to filter out all of the central and east side of Michigan stuff.

This is not a suggestion but a question why does Great Lakes Central have its own TLU not that I have any problems with it I am just curious.

I have also created a poll regarding this issue because polls are fun.

Thank you kindly for considering this suggestion if you indeed actually do consider it.
GRHC
Last edited by GRHC on Mon Apr 01, 2024 7:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

Re: West Michigan short line TLU

Unread post by David Collins »

Here’s my take:

I think personally if there is a railroad that gets a certain amount of heads up posts a week, it should have it’s own thread individually. MS, MQT, Grand Elk come to mind.

Now railroads such as LSRC, HNW, HESR, etc that don’t get much attention in terms of heads up thread posts should maybe have a conglomerated thread (Precision Scheduled Thread? :lol: ).
Ferris State University’s Train Guy

Youtube: Michigan Railfan Films

Flickr: David R. Collins

SC: daveeed1k

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

I would be ok with a separate thread but where does JAIL go? How about IN? How about the UP short lines?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

I think every single report should be its own thread. I don’t wanna sift through all of the other updates to find my train.

Nevermind that it’ll just clutter up the list of threads rather than the threads themselves. We wouldn’t want to apply any logic here.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

GRHC
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GRHC »

AARR wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2024 12:26 pm
I would be ok with a separate thread but where does JAIL go? How about IN? How about the UP short lines?
This is a very good question thank you AARR for your response and interest regarding this issue.
You could do it this way here’s an example.

Short line train location Central/East/Northern Michigan

Short line train location West Michigan

GRHC
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GRHC »

Saturnalia wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2024 12:42 pm
I think every single report should be its own thread. I don’t wanna sift through all of the other updates to find my train.

Nevermind that it’ll just clutter up the list of threads rather than the threads themselves. We wouldn’t want to apply any logic here.
Yes and if we apply what you call your logic we would just have one thread for all railroads in Michigan. Lol :roll:

Jetlink
Not a Railfan

Unread post by Jetlink »

Saturnalia wrote:

Agree with Alex. I have often thought each railroad should have it's own location thread. Unless there is a compelling reason for them to be combined with another. IE they run together on the same line for all or a portion of their normal routing.
interested in trains

Patiently waiting for LansingRailfan to antagonize me in his tagline

GRHC
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GRHC »

Jetlink wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2024 3:02 pm
Saturnalia wrote:

Agree with Alex. I have often thought each railroad should have it's own location thread. Unless there is a compelling reason for them to be combined with another. IE they run together on the same line for all or a portion of their normal routing.
Exactly what part of his comment are you agreeing with? Splitting the short lines into two geographical locations creates one extra thread. If you gave each individual railroad its own thread that would create many more threads which is exactly what Alex is arguing against. Logic?

Change is hard soooo very hard.
Keep those comments coming I love it I thrive on this kind of stuff.

I will ask this question again in hopes of an answer why does the Great Lake Central have its own thread?
So far this month there been 13 post in that thread while the Grand Elk has 28 for the month. Yet there is no separate thread for the Grand Elk.

I reiterate I do not have a problem with the Great Lake Central having its own thread I’m just wondering why.

Andy24
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Andy24 »

Can not help posting Grand Elk related posts since that’s my primary short line railroad by ~Z~ and me.
Average railfan reporter on Grand Rapids Sub, Plymouth Sub, and Area Short Lines Railroads.

Follow my channel for more: https://www.youtube.com/@ATARP24

GRHC
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GRHC »

Andy24 wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:12 pm
Can not help posting Grand Elk related posts since that’s my primary short line railroad by ~Z~ and me.
Yes I’ve noticed that Andy24 and I appreciate that you and Z post about the Grand Elk. You also post a lot about the MQT which is also greatly appreciated.

Andy24
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Andy24 »

GRHC wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:18 pm
Andy24 wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:12 pm
Yes I’ve noticed that Andy24 and I appreciate that you and Z post about the Grand Elk. You also post a lot about the MQT which is also greatly appreciated.
Yeah, I usually post Marquette Rail updates when I am listening to the train scanners. Meanwhile, if I am in the Grand Rapids area, I will post a more detailed report for Marquette
Average railfan reporter on Grand Rapids Sub, Plymouth Sub, and Area Short Lines Railroads.

Follow my channel for more: https://www.youtube.com/@ATARP24

GRHC
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GRHC »

Well at this point the poll is showing that people don’t want a separate West Michigan short line TLU thread.
However I suspect some of them no votes are simply cast out of spite for personal reasons. :evil: lol

Jetlink
Not a Railfan

Unread post by Jetlink »

I voted no because I actually want an individual thread for each short line.
interested in trains

GRHC
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GRHC »

Jetlink wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:09 pm
I voted no because I actually want an individual thread for each short line.
First off I would like to say thank you Jetlink welcome back to the thread and congratulations for completing Continuing Qualificatin training and clarifying your position on this issue. I would also like to take this time to point out and to remind Jetlink and other RailRoadFan.com board members and guest of this website that railfanning is very serious business this includes any railfanning topics and or related polls. Again I reiterate to Jetlink and others that railfanning is very serious business and I personally give no quarter to any kind of tomfoolery regarding this or any other railfanning issues! Furthermore if you do then I suggest you save that kind of behavior for The Michigan Railfans Facebook Group.
Last edited by GRHC on Sat Feb 17, 2024 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jetlink
Not a Railfan

Unread post by Jetlink »

I am indeed aware.

Railfanning. Serious. Business.

I actually developed that paradigm. I wrote my Railfanning thesis on it.
interested in trains

GRHC
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GRHC »

Jetlink wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2024 9:52 am
I am indeed aware.

Railfanning. Serious. Business.

I actually developed that paradigm. I wrote my Railfanning thesis on it.
Duly noted and I give you a heartfelt thank you for your contributions and service to railfanning and the railfanning community. Your service and commitment are greatly appreciated.

We have not heard from and I am looking forward to and still waiting for SD80MAC to post his opinion regarding this matter. I speculate he has already voted in the poll and is responsible for at least one of the no votes.(spite :evil:) along with LansingRailFan.

I also noticed Z has been strangely quiet regarding the subject and I am patiently waiting for his response and possibly an explanation as to why the Great Lakes Central has its own TLU.