Winter Railfanning In Rochelle, IL.

Give us a run down of what you saw, post pictures if you'd like...any info is welcome.
Railzfan
SpecialDuty

Winter Railfanning In Rochelle, IL.

Unread post by Railzfan »

Hello All,

Well here I am in Rochelle, IL. Again, want to get some winter shots. I was down at the RR Park at about 6:20pm tonight, snowing like crazy here right now and the whole time I was watching trains, and it’s a crisp 20 degrees here, saw 5 or so trains in the hour and a half we where there. I shot video of a few, I will upload one tomorrow, had two UP SD70M’s and a NS SD70, nice :D :D :D

Tomorrow it’s back down to the tracks to capture some more action, winter style! I will give you guy’s the whole report tomorrow night.

Monday we’re headed for Elgin, IL. for a few hours before heading home. Hope to get some good pictures while I’m there.

See ya later! :D :D :D :D :D
~Andrew Kersting

Website - Rocky Mountain Custom Models

Long Live the Denver & Rio Grande Western!

MMRR-24
Shortline Fan

Unread post by MMRR-24 »

No snow up here yet :( . Have Fun down there!!!!!

Railzfan
SpecialDuty

Former SP SD40T-2!

I am MMRR :D :D :D , oh, and before I forget, tonight I saw another former Southern Pacific SD40T-2 here in Rochelle. The unit has some leasing company markings on the cab, to dark to make out what it was. I saw one on November 13th, I’m thinking it’s the same one, probably used for transfer service between the Global I, II, and III Intermodal terminals.

See you all later. :D :D :D
~Andrew Kersting

Railzfan
SpecialDuty

Today’s Update – 12-11-2005

Today’s Update – 12-11-2005

Hello again everyone,

Went out at noon and caught some action on both the UP and BNSF side, mostly UP traffic. When we first got to the RR Park a BNSF stack train passed headed east, shortly after the BNSF train passed a light four unit set of UP SD40-2’s passed. Some of the more uncommon things that passed where: a ex SP SD45 paired with a Santa Fe SD40-2 “Snoot Nose”, a D&H 54’ covered hopper and two CSX AC4400’s and a FURX SD40-2 with a BN grain train. Just to name a few. In total we saw about 25 trains, only about 5 of those where BNSF’s. We had great weather with sun part of the time and no snow. The temp seemed to be stuck at about 25 degrees! Brrrrrr…. I took more than 180 pictures so far and I will probably take many more. I will upload pictures shortly.

As for tomorrow, it’s off to Elgin, IL. for a few hours. luckily where we are going the CP and UP have mainlines running about a block away, so you know where I will be! I will post any finds tomorrow night, probably late tomorrow night.

See you all tomorrow:D :D :D :D :D
~Andrew Kersting

Railzfan
SpecialDuty

Today’s Update – 12-12-2005

Today’s Update – 12-12-2005

Hello again everyone,

Got up early today and headed back down to the Rochelle RR Park one last time before we had to leave, it was a cold, crisp 5 degrees! Saw few trains in the two plus hours that we where there due to track work. Three BNSF, two stack trains and a mixed freight and two UP stack trains. The first BNSF train had two SD40-2’s, one in the normal Cascade green and black and the other in the normal pumpkin scheme. The second BNSF was powered by a SF DASH-9 Warbonnet and two BNSF DASH-9’s. On the UP side it was the normal SD70M’s and AC4400’s. On our way out though I spotted something rare, a EMD OAKWAY LEASING SD60 in its original blue and white scheme! :D The second unit in the consist was a BN SD40-2 with the standard BNSF stenciled on the cab, very nice to see them both, especially the SD60! As for Elgin, saw a few Metra trains but nothing worth taking a picture of and no freights. I have taken many pictures over the past few days and I will post links to them shortly, so keep an eye out for it. To late right now to upload any, tired, have to wait until tomorrow.

See you all later :D :D :D
~Andrew Kersting

Railzfan
SpecialDuty

Latest pictures.

As promised, here are my latest pictures that I have uploaded form Rochelle. ENJOY :D

Click herehttp://railzfan.rrpicturearchives.net/ to view the pictures.
~Andrew Kersting

BB
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by BB »

Sounds like fun! How many people are at the park during winter?
MQT Rail pictures at [url=http://bbarch_railfan.rrpicturearchives.net/default.aspx]RRPictureArchives.NET[/url]
Brandon

Railzfan
SpecialDuty

Well BB,

I had a ton of fun despite the freezing cold weather.

As for people:

Well to tell you the truth, not very many! The place was empty most of the time, and that’s just fine with me! :D
~Andrew Kersting