Marquette Rail in Grand Rapids 11/26/05 (w/ photos)

Give us a run down of what you saw, post pictures if you'd like...any info is welcome.
~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Marquette Rail in Grand Rapids 11/26/05 (w/ photos)

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Lots of snow on the friday before, so i decide to head out when i see there are some breaks in the clouds above showing some sun. No new snowfall overnight, so roads were clear. Head down Alpine, and onto I-96. While taking the ramp to US-131, spot a lot of railroad cars on the line between GR and Baldwin, noticing engines waiting to head south, but cars weren't moving. Got off at Ann St, and headed up to Turner Ave. Saw what I haven't seen running before, Marquette Rail. Engines were running, but stopped with no crew onboard. Took this shot of them at Turner Ave.

Headed down to Wyoming Yard, and what was going on? Absolutely nothing. A West Olive coal train was idling on the west end. No yard jobs moving around 1:30pm. Heard B-47 over at Hugart Yard moving around... Decided to give up on CSX and head home. As i just started to head back, a train identified itself as Z-151..saw crew was on board and ready, needed permission to head south from Turner Ave and towards Wyoming Yard. Made haste up along Seward Ave and stopped before Leonard St. Waited a good 10 minutes for this creep it's way towards me.

Into the car..headed down near Front Ave..light was bad there..was going to try one near Market St..light not good either...settled on over on Godfrey Ave for this:

Figured i wouldn't beat it to Wyoming Yard, but seeing how slow it was going in, headed on down there with a bit of time to spare. And here's the final three shots of it:

Heard something was onboard and ready to go...stopped to see if it was the coal train...didn't see anyone on board, no signals lit, so it was off for home.

Engines and cars are as follows:
NREX 2943
NREX 2903
NREX 2939
1 covered hopper
12 boxcars
2 gondolas
6 boxcars
11 tankers
10 boxcars
6 tankers
6 covered hoppers
12 boxcars
6 covered hoppers
4 boxcars
1 covered hopper
------
77 cars total.

Hope all enjoyed!
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

Scooterb
Sofa King Grumpy

Unread post by Scooterb »

Nice shots Zack wonder how long they will stay clean like that?