NS Chicago Line MP 313- 337 11-6-04

Give us a run down of what you saw, post pictures if you'd like...any info is welcome.
Scooterb
Sofa King Grumpy

NS Chicago Line MP 313- 337 11-6-04

Unread post by Scooterb »

Start out the day at Wauseon Ohio.
7:32 a.m. Amtrak 49 locos 202, 64
8:00 a.m. Amtrak 29

8:00 a.m. NS W.B. mixed

8:55 a.m. NS 599 E.B empty coal ?

9:00 a.m. NS 25W a bare table w.b.

9:10 a.m. NS 16N

I head East and catch this w.b. stack on the bridge, led by this BNSF

Well I am already heading east might just as well go about 12 more miles and see what is going on in Delta.

9:44 a.m. I see 18Q

9:47 a.m and 27V.

While 18Q is passing I notice cars moving on the I&O that passes over the NS line here. so I go and investigate and see a one unit wonder doing some switching. Ahh maybe a pic of the I&O. I go scouting for a location for a pic but the line is elevated thrue here and I cant find a good location. He is stopped on a bridge that goes over the old Wabash line that is now a two track going back to some fields. Should I try it?
Ah why not, so I drive back, but there are no good pics to be had from here. So I head about 8 miles south of town where there is finally a grade crossing. But no train.
So I head back to Delta to see what is up. the I&O is still parked on the bridge. Well lets see what else is going on.

10:40 NS 10R

The I&O starts talking and says they wont be leaving Delta till around 11:00. So I head down towards Worthington steel and catch this switcher working.

10:51 I see NS 20K

11:00 wouldnt you know it I hear NS 206 comming and I look to the east and the I&O is on the move. What to do ? I&O or NS 206, is this even a choice nahh. I&O wins hands down. The chase is on, I better hurry I have at least 8 miles to go and 5-6 stop signs. Man did he get up to speed fast.
after pushing the speed limit a little I arrive at my spot and pull in the field just as the gates come down aww man the gates are going to block my shot I climb on my truck and grabb this shot.

Now that is better.

Lets head back to Wauseon and get some lunch at KFC. But on the way back I grab this shot of 23Z.

Pick up lunch and what does that mean? Its time to run trains.
Well lets get a couple shots at the bridge again.
11:45 a.m. NS 20K?

11:50 a.m. NS 23M

OK lets eat that chicken and get ready for the afternoon.

12:34 NS 23K

12:54 w.b. stack

1:00 e.b stack
Now aint that sharp almost reminds you of old times, if not for the PRR sub lettering
1:10 NS 21A

1:20 NS 14J

1:25 NS 15J

1:33 NS 11E

1:40 NS 24M

1:54 NS 20G led by two BNSF no picture

2:35 NS 20E

2:50 NS 31M. we will see a pic of this later

2:53 NS 65W an empty GATX hopper train east bound.
I hear NS 31M will stop at Pettisville so 21N can pass him. Hmmm think I can get a side by side shot lets give it a try. Its off to Pettisville. I arrive in pettisville about 8 miles to the west and find the gates are already down well I pull up to the elevator and grab this shot of 21N

3:00 NS 21N

Did you see 31M on the other track?
I didnt think so he is hidden I will get a shot of him next.

Lets see what i can catch to the west in Stryker.
Did you see that East bound mixed train? Didnt think so he went thrue town just as I arrived.

3:40 I get this east bound stack
Smell that fresh paint.

3:53 NS 964

This could have been a good pic OH well maybe next time.
I try that pic on NS 17M but alas the light is not good so I wont bother with the blurry shot I got.
Well lets call it a day.
But wait. as I get close to the state line I hear NS 121 on the old Wabash line. I take a side road and grab another blurry picture that I wont bother you with.
Till next week. Hope all enjoy.
ScooterB

BB
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by BB »

Very nicely done ScooterB :D This picture made it into the Editor Picks at rrpicturearchives.net :)

That new CP autorack on 27V has rather narrow end doors compared to other autoracks.
MQT Rail pictures at [url=http://bbarch_railfan.rrpicturearchives.net/default.aspx]RRPictureArchives.NET[/url]
Brandon

Scooterb
Sofa King Grumpy

Unread post by Scooterb »

Thanks B.B.,
That pic got rejected on Railpictures net for forground clutter.
The 27V had alot of those auto racks on it I should of gotten a pic of those too.
Scooterb

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Scooterb wrote:Thanks B.B.,
That pic got rejected on Railpictures net for forground clutter.
The 27V had alot of those auto racks on it I should of gotten a pic of those too.
Scooterb
The only thing i can think of railpictures saying that is that the edge of the bridge partly covers the engine..they are too picky in my mind. Enjoyed the series scooter.. can't wait till the weather gets warmer in the spring to head to southbend again. I'm missing the action of the NS and CN there.
Was out and about around Grand Rapids saturday... caught only about 4 trains, drove about 80 miles, but almost all of those 80 were pacing trains :) Followed one from Jenison to downtown GR, followed another from GR to almost Holland, then caught a return one in Holland back to GR. Chicago drive parallels the track the entire trip.
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com