Grant, Michigan 7/3/2005

Give us a run down of what you saw, post pictures if you'd like...any info is welcome.
RailCanon
BANHAMMERED

Grant, Michigan 7/3/2005

Unread post by RailCanon »

On the way up to Manistee on July 3, We stopped in Grant, Michigan to have dinner at the Depot. Right as I got out of the car, I heard a horn. I went over to the tracks, and sure enough, there was a train coming. I was very surprised to see this train, as I understand they don't normally run on Sundays.

BNSF C44-9Ws 4939, and 5213 lead the train past the Grant Depot, and Water Tower.

Going away shot:

Chessie System Hopper:

The end of the train. Does anyone know where this was headed?? There were 67 cars, and they were all covered hoppers.

RailCanon
BANHAMMERED

While we were waiting for our food, I went outside to look at some of the stuff at the depot.

A profile shot of the depot and water tower.

A pair of Grand Scale freight cars, a wheel from a real freight car, and a very old crossbuck are on display outside the station. I wish I could have done something with that bike...

The Water Tower. This is one of the last Wooden Steam era water towers left in Michigan. It is used by the Grant Fire Department to refill their fire truck on occasion.

Red Caboose on display in the parking lot. Anyone know the origins of this one??

According to an employee in the depot, this little white shack is auctually the well for the water tower.

After this we had to get going, since we still had a ways to go to get to Manistee. I'll have some pictures from Manistee to post soon.

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Probably the lime train

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

My guess is that the twin unit BNSF train you saw with the covered hoppers was the lime train, usually symboled K905, bound for Manistee. They generally run about once a week, and it may be any day including Sunday. All other road operation north from GR does not run on Sunday except around holidays when they may need to make up for another missed day. The PMHS calender from last year had a few pictures of C&O power passing the Grant Depot, including a BL2 from the 50s I think. The Caboose is a former C&O one, and may even be ex PM. Check on the Chessie Chapter's Junction Page, then click surviving Chessie cabooses in Michigan, I think the Grant one is on there. Were the BNSF road numbers 4809 and 5213? Just varifying to get it on the CC Baldwin update page. My family was at our cottage near Baldwin that day and thought they heard a train go by mid day, which I've instructed them is weird on a Sunday or during daylight hours. I was up there for a few days after the 4th but did not see anything out of the ordinary. Isn't it nice to see that short stretch of CTC lines in Grant? They run the circutry for the crossing on the north side of town. Similar circutry lines also run through parts of Comstalk Park, Sparta, 76th St. south of Baldwin, and Walhalla Road.

RailCanon
BANHAMMERED

Re: Probably the lime train

GP30M4216 wrote:My guess is that the twin unit BNSF train you saw with the covered hoppers was the lime train, usually symboled K905, bound for Manistee. Were the BNSF road numbers 4809 and 5213? Just varifying to get it on the CC Baldwin update page.
Yeah, the numbers were 4909 and 5213.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Lime Train

Unread post by AARR »

Actually destination is the Martin Marietta plant between Stronach and East Lake. Receive about one 65 car unit per week. It's loaded in Woodville? (Wood-somethingor other) OH.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...