A tale of two outings | 11/7 and 11/10/23

Give us a run down of what you saw, post pictures if you'd like...any info is welcome.
David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

A tale of two outings | 11/7 and 11/10/23

Unread post by David Collins »

This is a long one, so bear with me, quite the story.

The tale of two outings starts with a planned attempt to catch Marquette Rail with my friend Guy (yes, that’s his name) on 11/7. Per a post from several months ago on this very site, the MQT apparently is known to tie down in the tiny town of Grant. So that was our first location we planned on hitting. It quickly became apparent as we rounded the curve on M-37 south at 112th street that we hit the jackpot. Z151 (northbound) was parked about 20 yards south of the 112th street crossing with a quartet of classic EMD’s: MQT SD40-2 3406, MQT GP38-2 #2040 (still in Union Pacific Armor Yellow with MQT markings), MQT SD40-2 #3408 and MQT SD40-2 #3391 (still very much showing it’s Canadian/GMD roots with a cab mounted bronze bell and classification lights).

Now, I’m no expert on the MQT and G&W operations, but when I saw the second unit (MQT #2040), I knew that this had to be somewhat special. I gave RRFan user Talk a call telling him what I found. He told me apparently that 2040 is almost never on the 151 run and that it’s pretty noteworthy for it to be on it.

While I was on the phone, Guy took a video of the parked 151 and posted it on the shared snapchat story for Ferris State (where I’m known as “the train guy”) and posted it with a funny caption (I’ll post a screenshot from the video). We stuck around for about an hour thinking maybe a relief crew would maybe show up, but they never did. So we went back to Big Rapids.

Fast forward to Friday, one of my closest friends here at FSU had been admitted to Forest View Hospital in Grand Rapids a few days prior, since Forest View is a mental hospital, her boyfriend and myself were amazed to get some visiting time with her at the hospital. We drove his absolutely clapped out 1997 Dodge Dakota, that I was half convinced wouldn’t even make it halfway there since the transfer case is kinda messed up and his ignition coil wiring is going bad. However it did fine.

We got to the place around 2:50 PM, and when we got into the halls and then eventually the room we were going be in with her, I could tell I was going to struggle sensory-wise. All white walls + white ceiling + white floors + autism sensory issues, not a good mix. I told my friend TJ (my friends’ boyfriend) that I was only going to say hi and stay only for a few minutes, I was already getting a VERY bad headache. I stayed for a few when TJ said that his keys were in the locker that we put our stuff in (personal belongings are NOT allowed in the physic ward) and told me “to go find some trains”.

I, again, called RRFan user Talk and asked where to go to find some sort of action. He told me Judd Road next to Wyoming yard would be my best bet, so that’s where I went. After dealing with the clusterf*ck that is the I-96 to 131 (pretty sure it was 131) interchange, and the school in Wyoming getting out, I made it to Judd Road just in time to miss Y297 leaving the yard engine light with #6514 (I think?) leading. However, once I got parked, I found Y290 (per Andy24) kicking cars inside Wyoming Yard with a pair of GP38-3’s, some of the cars being those ZVBX hoppers that have been talked about on the site before.

They didn’t pull out far enough for me to see the second engine number, but per Andy, the second unit was #2005, the leader was #2037 (which I could visually confirm), This was very impromptu and not planned, so I did not have my photo camera on me, all I had was my phone, and the photos were very ehhh. Still something though. I was there for about an hour then went back to Forest View to get TJ, and we drove back to Big Rapids.

That’s all for now, more to come soon!
Attachments
MQT Z151 parked next to a sign for the farmers market right behind me across the street.
MQT Z151 parked next to a sign for the farmers market right behind me across the street.
I will give anyone who can guess the reference a cookie :)
I will give anyone who can guess the reference a cookie :)
Y290 switching around Wyoming yard
Y290 switching around Wyoming yard
Ferris State University’s Train Guy

Youtube: Michigan Railfan Films

Flickr: David R. Collins

SC: daveeed1k

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: A tale of two outings | 11/7 and 11/10/23

Unread post by AARR »

Nice back story for the pictures
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by chapmaja »

First, I hope your friend is doing better. Glad the much needed help is being provided.

Second, since you have Go Dawgs in your signature, I have to respond with GO LAKERS.

Third, cool story about finding the trains.

David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

chapmaja wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 2:50 pm
First, I hope your friend is doing better. Glad the much needed help is being provided.
She is doing much better, was discharged yesterday morning and got back in the afternoon yesterday.
Second, since you have Go Dawgs in your signature, I have to respond with GO LAKERS.
Who's been beating teams by 30+ points for most of the season and is back to back champions?
Thank you!

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

Response in LAKER Blue
David Collins wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 2:57 pm
chapmaja wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 2:50 pm
She is doing much better, was discharged yesterday morning and got back in the afternoon yesterday.
Who's been beating teams by 30+ points for most of the season and is back to back champions? 49-28 Mean anything. Also, since losing the opener on a last second FG at the #1 ranked team in the country, and beating a nationally ranked opponent in 2OT, GVSU has won 1 game (49-28 over Ferris) by less than 30 points. Finally, 4 titles is still more than 2 titles.
Thank you!
I just wish GVSU and Ferris were not stuck playing a first round playoff game.

David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

chapmaja wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 4:31 pm
Well, unfortunately, our coach got suspended for some stupid crap. So you guys probably have it in the bag :( :x

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

David Collins wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2023 1:30 pm
chapmaja wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 4:31 pm
Well, unfortunately, our coach got suspended for some stupid crap. So you guys probably have it in the bag :( :x
Failure to control his team at the last two national championship games. Several players got caught smoking in the locker room and the team trashed the locker room two years in a row. They were warned after the first time. Now, if the NCAA was smart and used a college or professional stadium and not a high school stadium it might not be as big a deal, but the championship game is played in a high school stadium.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

I wouldn't really call a Geep on Z151 rare.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

Talk
Keeps Talking

Unread post by Talk »

Cheers!
Ironically bad at Small Talk :(