Wisconsin Wanderings

Give us a run down of what you saw, post pictures if you'd like...any info is welcome.
Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

Wisconsin Wanderings

Unread post by Super Chief »

Was in Wisconsin this week and had a good trip. While at North Freedom Tuesday morning 60 dairy cows came wandering in to the Mid-Continent railroad yard. What a sight to see that many just meandering around the grounds with no stock cars to be had. The farmer that owned them came in and apologized that his fence had failed and he would get them rounded up before the first train left. Then went to LaCrosse and watched the BNSF and CP action. The frac sand load out at Sparta was full of cars. The railroads are not running unit trains now. The first manifest going by just backs in and hooks on to as many that they can safely handle and adds them to their train. The oddest train I saw going by the LaCrosse depot was an oil train with 2 CSX engines, a buffer car 80 tankers another buffer car and then 40 auto racks tacked on to the rear buffer car? I guess thats PSR at its finest. Their also trucking sand into LaCrosse to fill basements of homes along the Mississippi River. The home owners have to remove their furnaces, water heaters out, then they put in 3-4 feet of sand then concrete poured on top to save the foundations. Life along the "Big River" is not easy right now with all the rain.

astrovanman1989
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Wisconsin Wanderings

Unread post by astrovanman1989 »

I’m always seeing unit sand trains at work at Pokegama yard
member of the
Soo Line historical society
DSS&A historical society
http://www.youtube.com/user/tricityrailfan

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Wisconsin Wanderings

Unread post by Super Chief »

Most of the frac sand for Texas customers has dried up because they've got in state suppliers now. Also railroads are admitting they've got too much frac sand infastructure in yards and even some in northern Wisconsin have used them for other car storage.