Trio of GLC GP35's on CSX

Give us a run down of what you saw, post pictures if you'd like...any info is welcome.
Todd_F
Railroadfan...fan

Trio of GLC GP35's on CSX

Unread post by Todd_F »

Video of a GLC train from Owosso to Howell, onto CSX, and back.
Filmed Saturday 1/6/18.
Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_A0Bi0C3cw
You know that little voice in your head? My wife says I lack that.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: Trio of GLC GP35's on CSX

Unread post by AARR »

Todd I liked your video. You did an impressive job setting up all your shots. You are one hardy man to chase on such a cold day.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Todd_F
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Todd_F »

AARR wrote:Todd I liked your video. You did an impressive job setting up all your shots. You are one hardy man to chase on such a cold day.
Thank you so much for the kind words! I'm really glad you enjoyed it.

There may have been some numbness and pain, but three 35's made it worth it, to me. Particularly in light of new (to GLC) 6-axle power forthcoming. Smart money says the SD's replace older units, and the 35's are the oldest units GLC has.

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hoborich »

Enjoyed the videos and some familiar territory. I used to have a small farm just off Oak Grove road, a couple miles south of Cohoctah. I used to see the Ann Arbor going back and forth with their old Alcos, back in the 70s and 80s. Thanks.
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".

Todd_F
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Todd_F »

hoborich wrote:Enjoyed the videos and some familiar territory. I used to have a small farm just off Oak Grove road, a couple miles south of Cohoctah. I used to see the Ann Arbor going back and forth with their old Alcos, back in the 70s and 80s. Thanks.
I'm glad the video could stir a little nostalgia in you! I certainly enjoy filming this outfit in that area, but that south run isn't as predictable as the north run. GLC is my favorite local road to film - in a world of Aces and Gevos, 35's are nearly as good as Alcos. :)

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

I guess GLC has upgraded the tracks. The Ann Arbor used to go pretty slow along that straight stretch. The also used to store grain cars on that siding south of the crossing at Chase Lake road.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

In the 70's and 80's the track by Cohoctah was rated for 10-25mph. It's now rated for 45 but I think they limit themselves to 35 for fuel savings reasons.
(depends on the year)
hoborich wrote:I guess GLC has upgraded the tracks. The Ann Arbor used to go pretty slow along that straight stretch. The also used to store grain cars on that siding south of the crossing at Chase Lake road.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Todd_F
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Todd_F »

Hoborich, GLC still stores cars in that siding. Heck, they store cars in most sidings on the system it seems.

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Thanks. I always liked that area. I was out there long before it built up.

Here's a little history. This guy lived right down the road from my place. http://michiganradio.org/post/why-howel ... l-michigan

Todd_F
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Todd_F »

Yikes! I bet "Pastor Bob" was an interesting neighbor.
Miles' sounds like a real piece of... work. I'm happy he's been gone for decades but saddened that his vile legacy still haunts the fine folks of Howell.