East Lansing: 09/30/17

Give us a run down of what you saw, post pictures if you'd like...any info is welcome.
NSSD70ACe
The Conrail Guru

East Lansing: 09/30/17

Unread post by NSSD70ACe »

Got a heads up today from a friend at Western that a pair of BCOL barns were headed up my way. Managed to catch them near Hagadorn in East Lansing. I was not disappointed.

Also, for whatever reason, my photos keep coming out a tad grainy. Is there a way to fix this in editing or would it be something in the operation of the camera?
:roll:

the contents of the above post are my opinion and mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Dan Cluley
Railroadfan...fan

Re: East Lansing: 09/30/17

Unread post by Dan Cluley »

Nice catch.

The picture doesn't look particularly grainy to me. What ISO setting are you using on the camera?

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

NSSD70ACe wrote:Got a heads up today from a friend at Western that a pair of BCOL barns were headed up my way. Managed to catch them near Hagadorn in East Lansing. I was not disappointed.

Also, for whatever reason, my photos keep coming out a tad grainy. Is there a way to fix this in editing or would it be something in the operation of the camera?
Looks like you were standing on the north side of the tracks with the sun on the south side.. try the south side. Your photo has the shadow/highlight tool in massive effect that does make it look grainy and pretty fake.
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

NSSD70ACe
The Conrail Guru

~Z~ wrote:
NSSD70ACe wrote:Got a heads up today from a friend at Western that a pair of BCOL barns were headed up my way. Managed to catch them near Hagadorn in East Lansing. I was not disappointed.

{IMG}

Looks like you were standing on the north side of the tracks with the sun on the south side.. try the south side. Your photo has the shadow/highlight tool in massive effect that does make it look grainy and pretty fake.
My original plan was to be on the south side of the tracks, but when I found out that they crossed over at Mill, I realized the angle would be too narrow between the trees and the ROW. The photo below is from the south side of the tracks.

From previous experience, I wanted to have more room between me and the side of the train for a better wedge shot.

I'm looking into photography classes and I want to start shooting in manual mode to be an "actual photographer" instead of using the auto settings.
Dan Cluley wrote:Nice catch.

The picture doesn't look particularly grainy to me. What ISO setting are you using on the camera?
At the time I took the photo I did not have it set in manual mode (I do now) but it appears it was ISO 400. When I originally edited the photo (it didn't come out like that in the original edit), it appeared to be a little grainy.

Thanks!

the contents of the above post are my opinion and mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Wabash1070
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Wabash1070 »

Which Crossing did you use? Because that road the Children's Garden is on Bague or Bouger (not quite sure what the name is) has a really good spot to snap pics of Eastbounds
I'm here

NSSD70ACe
The Conrail Guru

Wabash1070 wrote:
Which Crossing did you use? Because that road the Children's Garden is on Bague or Bouger (not quite sure what the name is) has a really good spot to snap pics of Eastbounds[/quote]

Ped crossing at Lot 91 near Hagadorn. Offered a decent view to the west as well as signals to warn of any EBs (as my scanner was not that reliable).