Day of Firsts: East Lansing

Give us a run down of what you saw, post pictures if you'd like...any info is welcome.
NSSD70ACe
The Conrail Guru

Day of Firsts: East Lansing

Unread post by NSSD70ACe »

Today was a day of firsts. Not only did I railfan the Flint/Plymouth Subdivisions for the first time today, but today is the day that I officially switched over to RAW shooting. I only say 3 trains (and didn't even get to shoot the third one because D708 surprised me), but I think the results are far better than my old format.

Thoughts on the new format?

EDIT: I changed out the second image due to the first one being grainy. And yes, the conductor's side cab window was originally like that in the photo. It was not a product of shoddy editing.
Last edited by NSSD70ACe on Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
:roll:

the contents of the above post are my opinion and mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: Day of Firsts: East Lansing

Unread post by AARR »

The 2nd picture looks grainy too me
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

NSSD70ACe
The Conrail Guru

AARR wrote:The 2nd picture looks grainy too me
It does to me too. I'm not sure why it's coming out like that, but I'm trying to figure out how to fix it.

the contents of the above post are my opinion and mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

I thought you may be trying to artistically convey a message :lol:
NSSD70ACe wrote:
It does to me too. I'm not sure why it's coming out like that, but I'm trying to figure out how to fix it.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

NSSD70ACe
The Conrail Guru

AARR wrote:I thought you may be trying to artistically convey a message :lol:
NSSD70ACe wrote:
Well, whatever it was, it was lost in translation! :D

The nearest I can figure is that it was something I did during RAW editing that is making it come out slightly grainy. Might just be that I need to use a different image.

Todd_F
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Todd_F »

The first shot is KILLER!!
The 2nd shot looks like too much shadow was removed and too much clarity added during editing. It's not a bad look - more rustic - but if that wasn't the look you were going for I can see why it would be annoying.
On a related note, it's nice to see the colors popping in East Lansing! :)
You know that little voice in your head? My wife says I lack that.

NSSD70ACe
The Conrail Guru

Todd_F wrote:The first shot is KILLER!!
Why, thank you :D
Todd_F wrote:The 2nd shot looks like too much shadow was removed and too much clarity added during editing. It's not a bad look - more rustic - but if that wasn't the look you were going for I can see why it would be annoying.

I have to say that as a photo editing newbie, I'm impressed that you picked up on what I did to that photo. Clarity was up to 90 and I really brought the shadows out because I made the stupid mistake of going to the other side of the tracks and the sun was on the other side. I probably brought it out more than I needed to because I had set my laptop screen brightness to its lowest setting, so everything looked off.
Todd_F wrote:On a related note, it's nice to see the colors popping in East Lansing! :)
I didn't even notice until I started working on the image in Photoshop's RAW Editor. I've been looking forward to some fall and winter shots now that I have my own camera, so bring on the colors! :lol:

Thanks for the feedback!